Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
No he didn't

What are you expecting here? The guy said in his opinion it’s likely Boldy will play most or all of a season in the AHL. You get after him saying that doesn’t happen, then tell him to back it up with examples. He obliges you and even you acknowledge several of those “fit” with what he described, but now you’re back to claiming he hasn’t proven his point? Can’t a guy have an opinion without having to make a thesis argument?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, some players who are drafted in the first round that play 2 or more years in the NCAA, can end up spending much of their first professional season in the AHL. Some don't.

If Boldy does, it's because the organization thinks he can benefit from the experience, if he doesn't, it's because the organization thinks he belongs in the NHL.

Either outcome is possible and isn't bad for him. I have faith in him having a successful NHL career either way.

Reactions: MuckOG

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What are you expecting here? The guy said in his opinion it’s likely Boldy will play most or all of a season in the AHL. You get after him saying that doesn’t happen, then tell him to back it up with examples. He obliges you and even you acknowledge several of those “fit” with what he described, but now you’re back to claiming he hasn’t proven his point? Can’t a guy have an opinion without having to make a thesis argument?
I guess it's my fault for thinking he might try to find actual comparables to a player like Boldy.

Yes, guys taken at the bottom of the 1st round are more likely to spend time in the AHL. It was also more likely to happen 15-20 years ago(like most of his list). Neither of those situations are even remotely relateable to Boldy's situation.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beckman didn't look all that good at the Canadian WJC camp, which is a faster and better pace than regular WHL. Not the quickest feet, and while he has good size, not strong. He will have to improve to be successful in the AHL, nvm the NHL, which he simply isn't ready for.

I think he is a late maturing guy physically, and really needs to put in work in the gym, and with a skating coach. The issues are fixable, but he needs to do the work.

Just my opinion. Maybe he just had a bad couple of scrimmages, is 200 lbs. of solid muscle, and can skate like the wind.

Reactions: GuerinUp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I guess it's my fault for thinking he might try to find actual comparables to a player like Boldy.

Yes, guys taken at the bottom of the 1st round are more likely to spend time in the AHL. It was also more likely to happen 15-20 years ago(like most of his list). Neither of those situations are even remotely relateable to Boldy's situation.

you do realize theres alot more that goes into whether a guy plays in the AHL or not, like roster spots that fit his play style. The way it sits right now theres only one potential wing spot that will even be open in the top 6 next year, and thats barring having parise or zucc play 3rd line. Thats if we dont spend our cap space and acquire someone. Lastly we dont even know if boldy is leaving BC at the end of the year so this whole argument is pointless.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think the moral of the story is, if Boldy is going to turn into the player we hope he is, he won't spending much if any time in the AHL.

Impact NCAA forwards tend to only see AHL time if there are external factors like injury or lockouts(Parise, Schwartz, Krieder).

If he needs a season of AHL time, it will be time to re-evaluate our collective thoughts on what he can be.

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the moral of the story is, if Boldy is going to turn into the player we hope he is, he won't spending much if any time in the AHL.

Impact NCAA forwards tend to only see AHL time if there are external factors like injury or lockouts(Parise, Schwartz, Krieder).

If he needs a season of AHL time, it will be time to re-evaluate our collective thoughts on what he can be.

Assuming he actually needs it, and it's not just a victim of circumstance type thing.

Kaprizov - Somebody - Fiala
X - Somebody - Zuccarello
Greenway - Somebody - X

I wouldn't completely cross of Parise being a viable option for the 2nd line LW spot. I know some people are going to have a problem with it, and it gets tougher as you get older, but 2018-19 isn't actually that long ago. And, if Boldy is really playing RW at BC now, the 3rd line RW spot could be his too.

I just wouldn't really draw too hard of a conclusion on it either way. He could start there, play 20 really good games, get called up and be off and running.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The truth, there is nothing definitive that says impact NCAA forwards always jump right into the NHL from NCAA. Some can, others don't for a variety of reasons. Some players need a part or all of an AHL season before they can make the jump....and some simply bust.

I really hope that Boldy is one of those that make the jump immediately...but there is something about his skating that, to me, suggests he may need a little more seasoning in Iowa before he becomes a full-time NHLer. I could be wrong, but that's what my gut tells me. His hockey sense, stick handling and shot all look to be NHL-ready, though.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The truth, there is nothing definitive that says impact NCAA forwards always jump right into the NHL from NCAA. Some can, others don't. Some players need a part or all of an AHL season before they can make the jump....and some simply bust.

I really hope that Boldy is one of those that make the jump immediately...but there is something about his skating that, to me, suggests he may need a little more seasoning in Iowa before he becomes a full-time NHLer. I could be wrong, but that's what my gut tells me. His hockey sense, stick handling and shot all look to be NHL-ready, though.

Impact NCAA forwards often spend time in the AHL, very few Impact NHLers that were NCAA forwards do.

That's just the math. Out of that entire list, it was just Brock Nelson and Tuch. And Tuch even has a slight asterisk in that Wild team was jam packed with Wingers. we had 6 that scored 40+ points (Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Zucker, Pominville and Parise). Although he did look lost in his 6 game short sample that year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Boldy can't fix(assuming that it needs to be fixed...i have no idea about that) his skating stride at BC, then he won't at Iowa. These guys have all sort of access to skating coaches at either place, though most of the work is done in the off season.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If Boldy can't fix(assuming that it needs to be fixed...i have no idea about that) his skating stride at BC, then he won't at Iowa. These guys have all sort of access to skating coaches at either place, though most of the work is done in the off season.

Like I said, I could be wrong. But he looks a little unsteady on his skates to me at times. Shades of Donato, but not to that extreme.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
you do realize theres alot more that goes into whether a guy plays in the AHL or not, like roster spots that fit his play style. The way it sits right now theres only one potential wing spot that will even be open in the top 6 next year, and thats barring having parise or zucc play 3rd line. Thats if we dont spend our cap space and acquire someone. Lastly we dont even know if boldy is leaving BC at the end of the year so this whole argument is pointless.
I never said Boldy would be in the NHL next year. I said that players of Bolddy's caliber don't play in the AHL. If there isn't a spot for him in Minnesota, or he doesn't appear ready, he will play another season at BC.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The truth, there is nothing definitive that says impact NCAA forwards always jump right into the NHL from NCAA. Some can, others don't for a variety of reasons. Some players need a part or all of an AHL season before they can make the jump....and some simply bust.

Name the last top 15 pick to come out of the NCAA and spend the entire season in the AHL. I would say that's definitive

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Name the last top 15 pick to come out of the NCAA and spend the entire season in the AHL. I would say that's definitive

I never made that argument...and the sample size isn't significant enough to make any definitive declarations, especially if you want to restrict the sample to the past 15 years where only 19 NCAA fowards were selected in the top 15 between 2004-2018.

But since you asked, I only had to go back 2 drafts when Wahlstrom was selected #11 by the Islanders in 2018. He left BC after the 18-19 season, he played pretty much the entire next season in the AHL (minus a 9 game cup of coffee where he failed to register a point)

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

That's not necessarily true; some players do fix their skating after coming out of the NCAA/CHL.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014

Disagree strongly.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.

Sometimes they get sent down because they don’t like to play defense or backcheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad