Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
That would be taking a big dump on Bjugstad, who has been decent. Doubt either Evanson or Guerin would be on board for that.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Boldy should stay in Iowa playing top minutes. Wild already clinched playoffs.

Use next couple weeks to get Rask out of lineup, get Bjugstad back in on 4th line, and elevate Sturm to be with either Kap or Fiala.

Evason should save Boldy for after Wild lay an egg in a playoff game to inject skill and to light a fire under guys butts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boldy has been playing top minutes, and it looks like the team has been told to set him up on the PP at every opportunity. He seems to be improving every game he plays. Still has the odd stumble, but in general, looks to be the most talented player on the ice, albeit in his subtle way. He shows surprisingly good edges, and occasionally some decent acceleration. Sometimes he looks like he is about to be bullied in puck battles, but seems to come out of them all right, and others he almost runs over people like a smaller, more passive Greenway. It will be interesting to see what he can do in a couple of years

The main thing about him is that he is smart. As long as he isn't physically overwhelmed in the NHL, I think he will be able to adjust his game to whoever he is playing with. He is kind of wasted if he isn't playing with someone who can make use of his passing and offensive skills IMO, but it's a lot to expect to bring him up, stick him on the PP, and expect it to click right away.

I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't make the team out of camp next season.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Will O'Rourke go back to the OHL next year?
Yeah, I think so. Didn't know he was a May Bday- he's still only 18yo! It will be weird for him going back to the CHL, but the AHL is watered down this year because of taxi squads and players staying Europe. He isn't that noticeable down in Iowa, but I mean that it a good way. His d looks pretty solid, he is decent with the puck, and he can hold his own physically. Projecting a bit here, but by the start of the 22-23 AHL season he should be more than ready to be a top pairing guy in Iowa by mid season. NHL'er maybe by 23-24?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
1 article every few months is not enough for me to pay. i can liv without it.
There is at least a dozen of NHL, college hockey, and prospect articles every day. Not to mention coverage of other sports.

Free culture is not free. You are not the customers of anything given to you that is "free". You are their product that they present to their actual customers. You are the cow that gets turned into the hamburger.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There is at least a dozen of NHL, college hockey, and prospect articles every day. Not to mention coverage of other sports.

Free culture is not free. You are not the customers of anything given to you that is "free". You are their product that they present to their actual customers. You are the cow that gets turned into the hamburger.
I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that the value proposition isn't going to be there for everyone. If your interest is narrow most of the coverage doesn't matter.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that the value proposition isn't going to be there for everyone. If your interest is narrow most of the coverage doesn't matter.
I am not persuaded. If you are coming daily to a hockey message board, but think the largest and most deep hockey coverage in the US, which costs about $5/month, is (1) not narrow enough for you, and (2) too costly, I think that is BS.

Something else is going on with those type of responses.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I am not persuaded. If you are coming daily to a hockey message board, but think the largest and most deep hockey coverage in the US, which costs about $5/month, is (1) not narrow enough for you, and (2) too costly, I think that is BS.

Nah, I waste as much time here as anyone, had a subscription and let it lapse because I barely read anything outside of Russo and that was mostly just recaps of games that I'd already watched. In terms of sports my interest is very narrowly on the Wild and I increasingly find myself chipping $5/month here and $5/month there on other subscription services (Patreon, Substack, etc.). You hit $30-$40/month and you have to start making choices about where the value is.

The Athletic's a good product at a decent price, but they'll probably run into more and more of that sort of thing. And I know they pay a lot of attention to what gets read and what doesn't, so it'll be interesting to see how their coverage changes over time.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Discussing hockey everyday is far more interesting than reading some of the articles written. A lot of the titles and first paragraphs I have seen don’t persuade me to purchase however the exchange of intelligent and unintelligent discussion we get on here is quite intriguing and worth while. People have different interests. To each their own

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Nah, I waste as much time here as anyone, had a subscription and let it lapse because I barely read anything outside of Russo and that was mostly just recaps of games that I'd already watched. In terms of sports my interest is very narrowly on the Wild and I increasingly find myself chipping $5/month here and $5/month there on other subscription services (Patreon, Substack, etc.). You hit $30-$40/month and you have to start making choices about where the value is.

The Athletic's a good product at a decent price, but they'll probably run into more and more of that sort of thing. And I know they pay a lot of attention to what gets read and what doesn't, so it'll be interesting to see how their coverage changes over time.
Agree with this mostly as a current subscriber, would not hold it against anyone to not pay for it. The coverage is better than elsewhere for sure but 90% of it is just post game coverage that adds very little if you watch the games. Every couple of months a really good article is put out though that you won’t find anywhere else and I especially enjoy the in depth prospect and video analysis that sometimes shows up, but those are rare. It’s been a dry year for good color stories though, due to the limited contact from COVID and it’s pretty much taken away Russo’s biggest writing strength in my opinion. His personal stories on the players are far more enjoyable than his hockey analysis to me.

Reactions: Bazeek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad