Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's a chance, but I think its more likely he spends most or all of next season playing in the AHL.
NCAA guys don't play in the AHL. Feel like I have to say this every 3 months or so

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
With Zucc out for the start of the season, who do you put in his place?
If Rossi sticks in the NHL I would expect Fiala, Kaprizov, Johansson, Parise to compete for the 4 wing spots in the top 6.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not greenway with his rumored revamped work ethic and mindset?
I think that Evason will want to pair Greenway with Ek or even Bonino to keep a very good shutdown line together. Most likely with Foligno on the other wing.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think that Evason will want to pair Greenway with Ek or even Bonino to keep a very good shutdown line together. Most likely with Foligno on the other wing.
I can see that, just seems with BG talking to him about becoming a power forward and him being on the top line during the play ins I could see him getting a shot in the top six rather than going for that shutdown role

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I can see that, just seems with BG talking to him about becoming a power forward and him being on the top line during the play ins I could see him getting a shot in the top six rather than going for that shutdown role
I could see Greenway being the guy used to balance the defensive end of a line with Rossi and Fiala, but that really messes up the 2nd and 3rd lines. Unless Evason grows the balls to put Parise in his place.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You could refute it by listing the 1st rounders that played 2 years in college and then went to the AHL, if you like. :eyeroll:

Here is a list of players selected in the first round that had at least 2 years of NCAA play and went into the AHL.

Zach Parise, Mark Stuart, Brian Boyle, Jeff Tambellini, Patrick Eaves, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Jack Skille, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Kyle Okposo, Mark Mitera, David Fischer, Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ian Cole, Colin Wilson, Jake Gardiner, Chris Kreider, Jordan Schroeder, Jaden Schwartz, Derek Forbort, Beau Bennett, Riley Sheahan, Brock Nelson, Mike Matheson, Jordan Schmaltz, Brady Skjei, Alex Tuch, Nick Schmaltz, Colin White, Luke Kunin, Riley Tufte, Tage Thompson, Trent Frederic, and Josh Norris.....

Last edited:
Reactions: GuerinUp

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Since 2003:

Zach Parise, Mark Stuart, Brian Boyle, Jeff Tambellini, Patrick Eaves, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Jack Skille, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Kyle Okposo, Mark Mitera, David Fischer, Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ian Cole, Colin Wilson, Jake Gardiner, Chris Kreider, Jordan Schroeder, Jaden Schwartz, Derek Forbort, Beau Bennett, Riley Sheahan, Brock Nelson, Mike Matheson, Jordan Schmaltz, Brady Skjei, Alex Tuch, Nick Schmaltz, Colin White, Luke Kunin, Riley Tufte, Tage Thompson, Trent Frederic, and Josh Norris.....
f***ing YIKES.

The first person on this list only played in the AHL because there was a lockout. I stopped reading after that because your shit argument isn't worth the time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
f***ing YIKES.

The first person on this list only played in the AHL because there was a lockout. I stopped reading after that because your shit argument isn't worth the time.

What about the others?

Let's turn it around, list the players drafted in the 1st round that played at least 2 years of NCAA and went straight to the NHL. That list is smaller than mine.

...and what's my "shit" argument? That it's not a given that Boldy doesn't start his pro career in the AHL? Really? You are so certain?

Reactions: GuerinUp

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Here is the list of players drafted in the 1st round with at least 2 years NCAA and straight to the NHL.

Blake Wheeler, TJ Oshie, Andrew Cogliano, Erik Johnson, James Van Riemsdyk, Nick Bjugstad, Brock Boeser, Dante Fabbro, and Cale Makar

(smaller list)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Since 2003:

Zach Parise, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Jack Skille, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Kyle Okposo, Mark Mitera, David Fischer, Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ian Cole, Colin Wilson, Jake Gardiner, Chris Kreider, Jordan Schroeder, Jaden Schwartz, Derek Forbort, Beau Bennett, Riley Sheahan, Brock Nelson, Mike Matheson, Jordan Schmaltz, Brady Skjei, Alex Tuch, Nick Schmaltz, Colin White, Luke Kunin, Riley Tufte, Tage Thompson, Trent Frederic, and Josh Norris.....
Parise- Only played in the AHL because of the lockout
Stafford - played a total of 34 AHL games
Zajac- played a total of 2 AHL games at the end of his 2nd NCAA season
Skille - was a huge bust
Lee - was a huge bust
Niskanen - played a total of 13 AHL games at the end of his 2nd NCAA season
Okposo - played a total of 35 AHL games in the middle of his 2nd NCAA season
Mitera - was a huge bust
Fischer - was a huge bust
McDonaugh - played a total of 38 games in the AHL
Shattenkirk - played a total of 13 games in the AHL
Cole - is a bust
Wilson - played a total of 40 games in the AHL
Gardiner - played 10 games in the AHL at the end of his 3rd NCAA season
Kreider - went straight to the NHL playoffs from BC

Don't see much evidence at all that would back up the idea that Boldy would/should spend a season in the AHL? Unless the plan is for him to be a bust?
Schroeder - was a huge bust
Nelson - fits your narrative
Matheson - bust
Schwartz- went straight to the NHL and then played 33 games in the AHL the following year
Forbort - bust
Sheahan - bust
Bennett - bust
Schmaltz - bust
Skjei - fits
Tuch - fits
Schmaltz - played 12 games in the AHL
White - played 3 games in the AHL at the end of his 2nd NCAA season
Kunin - blew out his knee
Tufte - Huge bust
Thompson - bust
Frederic - bust
Norris - missed the majority of his 2nd NCAA season because of injury

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Parise- Only played in the AHL because of the lockout
Stafford - played a total of 34 AHL games
Zajac- played a total of 2 AHL games at the end of his 2nd NCAA season
Skille - was a huge bust
Lee - was a huge bust
Niskanen - played a total of 13 AHL games at the end of his 2nd NCAA season
Okposo - played a total of 35 AHL games in the middle of his 2nd NCAA season
Mitera - was a huge bust
Fischer - was a huge bust
McDonaugh - played a total of 38 games in the AHL
Shattenkirk - played a total of 13 games in the AHL
Cole - is a bust
Wilson - played a total of 40 games in the AHL
Gardiner - played 10 games in the AHL at the end of his 3rd NCAA season
Kreider - went straight to the NHL playoffs from BC

Don't see much evidence at all that would back up the idea that Boldy would/should spend a season in the AHL? Unless the plan is for him to be a bust?
Schroeder - was a huge bust
Nelson - fits your narrative
Matheson - bust
Schwartz- went straight to the NHL and then played 33 games in the AHL the following year
Forbort - bust
Sheahan - bust
Bennett - bust
Schmaltz - bust
Skjei - fits
Tuch - fits
Schmaltz - played 12 games in the AHL
White - played 3 games in the AHL at the end of his 2nd NCAA season
Kunin - blew out his knee
Tufte - Huge bust
Thompson - bust
Frederic - bust
Norris - missed the majority of his 2nd NCAA season because of injury

Moving the goal posts now, are we?

...and a couple of your excuses above are hilarious....such as Krieder. That's right, he did play in the NHL playoffs right out of college, that's actually quite common....., but guess what? The next season he spent the majority of the season in the AHL....and regarding the busts.....yes, there is a chance that Boldy could bust just like the others did.

Boldy could also see some NHL playoff games this season if things work out, but that doesn't mean he won't play some or all of the following season in the minors. I'm not even saying that Boldy won't jump right into the NHL out of NCAA....

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
...and a couple of your excuses above are hilarious....such as Krieder. That's right, he did play in the NHL playoffs right out of college, that's actually quite common....., but guess what? The next season he spent the majority of the season in the AHL
.....because of the lockout....

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
.....because of the lockout....

Whatever...that doesn't change the point that it's somehow a given that players drafted in the 1st round that played 2 years in the NCAA never play in the AHL. The facts are that it's simply not true. In fact, the opposite is true. Most of those players DO play games in the AHL.

And none of this means that Boldy has to play even a single game in the AHL, I'm just not as certain about that as you are. If he is good enough to never have to play in Iowa....GREAT! That would be awesome.

No reason to be a jerk about this. We are all fans, are we not?

Reactions: 57special

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Whatever...that doesn't change the point that it's somehow a given that players drafted in the 1st round that played 2 years in the NCAA never play in the AHL. The facts are that it's simply not true.
They don't spend a season in the AHL unless they're a total bust. Your own list is evidence of that.

Check the last 10 years or so worth of NCAA players that went top 15 in the draft. You won't find much AHL time

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If they did send all our almost ready prospects to the AHL next year barring covid it could be a deadly squad.

Beckman Shaw Boldy
Firstov Khovanov Lodnia
Dewar Hentges Chaffee
Bitten Giroux Duhaime
Swaney
Guskov

ROR Addison
Hunt SJ
Gordeev FJ

Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.