Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For sure. Kaliyev seemed to be a good bet any time after about pick 20. The guy is a goal scoring machine.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Correction, ALL mocks had him before 12.

I specifically remember not even considering him an option for us in our “who should we take” discussions because I was certain he’d be gone by 10.

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Boldy drought continues

A little worried, but not really. Is he Riley Tufte bad? No, but is he going to be the next Kyle Connor? Probably not. Adjustments to being a center is probably hampering some of his ability to score. I'm not worried until he doesn't make the WC Team.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
A little worried, but not really. Is he Riley Tufte bad? No, but is he going to be the next Kyle Connor? Probably not. Adjustments to being a center is probably hampering some of his ability to score. I'm not worried until he doesn't make the WC Team.

Tufte was just under half a point per game as a freshman, Boldy has one point... it's also true that Tufte is a two-time NATIONAL CHAMPION but anyhow.

Certainly not dogging the pick or giving up on him...but Boldy's game made me think of Charlie Coyle (he's nothing like Kyle Connor) except it didn't take Coyle any time to be a top NCAA player.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Tufte was just under half a point per game as a freshman, Boldy has one point... it's also true that Tufte is a two-time NATIONAL CHAMPION but anyhow.

Certainly not dogging the pick or giving up on him...but Boldy's game made me think of Charlie Coyle (he's nothing like Kyle Connor) except it didn't take Coyle any time to be a top NCAA player.

Yeah Coyle quickly rocketed to the top...*checks notes*...175 scorers in the NCAA that season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

26 points in 37 games is a top NCAA player?

He played...... HALF A SEASON

Half a season his 2nd season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
He played...... HALF A SEASON

you can put me on ignore, dude
He played the full year his freshman year and finished 186th in NCAA scoring that year... His 2nd year playing half the season he finished 87th in pts/gm. Personally I wouldn't consider that a top NCAA player.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Did I call it "bad, very bad" or are you inventing things?

I must've missed where you said top NCAA freshman, and not top NCAA player. My bad.

Nope, guess I overstated it a bit. I think that's pretty solid production for a true freshman but not as impressive as Jaden Schwartz in that cohort or Cole Caufield in this era... but still more impressive than Matt Boldy (tho it be November).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Coyle had 8 points by this time his freshman year, which is about the same as Newhook and Brink this year. Not bad, not crazy.

I don't remember him ever being considered a top college player. I think expectations for him were relatively modest until he jumped ship to Saint John.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Coyle had 8 points by this time his freshman year, which is about the same as Newhook and Brink this year. Not bad, not crazy.

I don't remember him ever being considered a top college player. I think expectations for him were relatively modest until he jumped ship to Saint John.

Yeah, him dropping down a level and dominating the Q was what got a lot of people, including me, thinking that he could be our #1 RW and maybe a 30+30 guy going forward.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think expectations for him were relatively modest until he jumped ship to Saint John.
Then he was suddenly a man amongst boys and a lot of people forgot to take that into account. Everyone started drooling over his stats, and a few kept pointing to his more modest numbers vs his own age/size group instead, yet expectations couldn't be tempered overall.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, him dropping down a level and dominating the Q was what got a lot of people, including me, thinking that he could be our #1 RW and maybe a 30+30 guy going forward.

Then he was suddenly a man amongst boys and a lot of people forgot to take that into account. Everyone started drooling over his stats, and a few kept pointing to his more modest numbers vs his own age/size group instead, yet expectations couldn't be tempered overall.

GopherState tried to warn us.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Kinda crazy to me that both the writers for the Athletic rated Matt Boldy Ahead of Kirvy Dach, and Dach has more points in the NHL than Boldy has in college.

2019 NHL Draft Rankings

I still do get excited about the idea of boldy as a center

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Beckman is better than Cozens

I don’t think I was really sold on Cozens by the end. Definitely had Turcotte, Zegras and Dach ahead of him. I don’t think he has the high end offensive potential of the other guys. I also think Boldy’s offensive upside is higher, and I stand by that even with his rough start.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don’t think I was really sold on Cozens by the end. Definitely had Turcotte, Zegras and Dach ahead of him. I don’t think he has the high end offensive potential of the other guys. I also think Boldy’s offensive upside is higher, and I stand by that even with his rough start.

I like Zergas a lot, was hoping he'd be there for our pick. I wasn't sold on Turcotte, but would have easily taken him if he was there at 12. He's kind of like Boldy, was it him or his linemates that made him good question I had.

Dach and Cozens were the best centers for the Wild at the time of the draft being RHS centers. I'm still happy we got Boldy, even if he's not tearing things up yet. Krebs was the other FWD I would have wanted if none of these guys were on the board.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I like Zergas a lot, was hoping he'd be there for our pick. I wasn't sold on Turcotte, but would have easily taken him if he was there at 12. He's kind of like Boldy, was it him or his linemates that made him good question I had.

Dach and Cozens were the best centers for the Wild at the time of the draft being RHS centers. I'm still happy we got Boldy, even if he's not tearing things up yet. Krebs was the other FWD I would have wanted if none of these guys were on the board.

I was split on Turcotte vs. Zegras going into the draft, but I thought Zegras was more likely to fall to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad