Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Weird. I read that article earlier today just to see if Beckman was listed, and he wasn't. They must have edited him in later.
Jacob M.

Great list, fun to see which guys got overlooked for sure. Im mildly surprised Adam Beckman wasnt listed though. It's not often that a third rounder is #5 in scoring in the WHL in a D+1 season.
Pronman-Corey-Headshot-020619.jpg

Corey Pronman
STAFF
4h ago
2 likes
@Jacob M. Beckman probably should be in here that was an oversight, I will add.

Reactions: Wild11MN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jacob M.

Great list, fun to see which guys got overlooked for sure. Im mildly surprised Adam Beckman wasnt listed though. It's not often that a third rounder is #5 in scoring in the WHL in a D+1 season.
Pronman-Corey-Headshot-020619.jpg

Corey Pronman
STAFF
4h ago
2 likes
@Jacob M. Beckman probably should be in here that was an oversight, I will add.

Best trade for Minnesota. We traded a future Adam Beckman for an Adam Beckman

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Weird. I read that article earlier today just to see if Beckman was listed, and he wasn't. They must have edited him in later.
”Adam Beckman, C, Minnesota
Drafted: No. 75 overall
Beckman is off to a great start, as one of the leading scorers in the WHL. He impressed at times last season with his goal-scoring ability, potting 32, but there was never really any wow factor to his game and he wasn’t a top scorer in the league. I still don’t think his speed or playmaking is all that special, but he has skill and has worked on rounding out his game, adding penalty killing duties this season, for example. He’s so dangerous around the middle of the ice and around the net as a finisher. He’s probably not a first-round talent right now, as he needs to gain an extra step, but I could see him as a second-round pick in a redraft”

he’s the last one

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Boldy questionable for Team USA @ WJC. You can’t make this Minnesota luck up

When is the last time our 1st round pick has been completely forgettable while our 2nd-7th round picks have been carrying the prospect pool? Never?

I still believe Boldy will turn out, but it’s crazy that for two years in a row now our 1sts have been garbage in their d+1 year and we have guys like Khovanov, Hentges, Jones, Beckman on absolute tears.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
When is the last time our 1st round pick has been completely forgettable while our 2nd-7th round picks have been carrying the prospect pool? Never?

I still believe Boldy will turn out, but it’s crazy that for two years in a row now our 1sts have been garbage in their d+1 year and we have guys like Khovanov, Hentges, Jones, Beckman on absolute tears.
Yeah I don’t know. Boldy has a game tonight that I’m probably going to listen to. He needs to get one. Lafrienere will save our pool

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

AJ Thelen's career completely fell apart in his d+1 year.

The truest bust in franchise history.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Yeah but we didn’t really have anyone else to look forward to from that year either. I mean, unless you count Roman Voloshenko?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah but we didn’t really have anyone else to look forward to from that year either. I mean, unless you count Roman Voloshenko?
2 solid, but not great NHL players came out of that draft for us... Clayton Stoner and Anton Khudobin.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
2 solid, but not great NHL players came out of that draft for us... Clayton Stoner and Anton Khudobin.

I don’t think people were hyping up Clayton Stoner or Anton Khudobin the same way we’re hyping up Khovanov, Jones and Beckman. But I could be wrong.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don’t think people were hyping up Clayton Stoner or Anton Khudobin the same way we’re hyping up Khovanov, Jones and Beckman. But I could be wrong.
They sure weren't hyping up Thelen. You asked when the last time a first round pick was forgettable and didn't carry our draft.

That was the purest form of it. Got kicked out of NCAA, went to the WHL and played terrible, then didn't even get to the AHL, but went to the Wild's ECHL affiliate before fading away completely.

Voloshenko was highly thought of for a while, but ultimately it was just Stoner and Khudobin that survived.

It was a terrible draft, carried by a couple plugs at best. :dunno:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Boldy questionable for Team USA @ WJC. You can’t make this Minnesota luck up

It's a conclusion that anybody can come up with looking at his numbers, but he's going to be put on the wing in camp, and if people are right that his game is fine and he's just not scoring, then he should be fine.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

At least we got a 2nd round pick for not signing Thelen. We got Knight for Phillips and uh...nothing for Cuma. Also we got Zidlicky for Jones and a 2nd round pick and Bordeleau, although didn't play for Minnesota, had at least one decent season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At least we got a 2nd round pick for not signing Thelen. We got Knight for Phillips and uh...nothing for Cuma. Also we got Zidlicky for Jones and a 2nd round pick and Bordeleau, although didn't play for Minnesota, had at least one decent season.
Phillips was raved about for years before flopping in the AHL, and still, we had Brodin to carry that draft.

Cuma was developing far better than anyone expected on draft day, just when everyone was getting excited and penciling him into lineups, he'd tear up a knee... after multiple knee injuries, he couldn't skate, and his entire game was based on his superb skating. Can't fault the guy for bad luck.

Thus, it still goes back to Thelen as the most forgettable 1st round pick that forced later picks to carry the draft in the fans minds.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Cuma was developing far better than anyone expected on draft day, just when everyone was getting excited and penciling him into lineups, he'd tear up a knee... after multiple knee injuries, he couldn't skate, and his entire game was based on his superb skating. Can't fault the guy for bad luck.

No, but he is pretty forgettable 1st round pick. Also Gillies LOL. I forgot we drafted him.

Thus, it still goes back to Thelen as the most forgettable 1st round pick that forced later picks to carry the draft in the fans minds.

I remember everyone wanted Thelen over Stafford. I wanted Stafford, but we had gone forward in the draft a bunch and so we needed defensemen. Also we moved up to grab Cuma. That was such an awful draft (4 picks) and only Scandella was able to salvage that draft. 2007 and 2008 is what killed the Wild.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No, but he is pretty forgettable 1st round pick. Also Gillies LOL. I forgot we drafted him.

I remember everyone wanted Thelen over Stafford. I wanted Stafford, but we had gone forward in the draft a bunch and so we needed defensemen. Also we moved up to grab Cuma. That was such an awful draft (4 picks) and only Scandella was able to salvage that draft. 2007 and 2008 is what killed the Wild.
Yet, back to the original point... only Thelen was so instantly forgettable as was the mentioned criteria. He was literally written off by fans his d+1 season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yet, back to the original point... only Thelen was so instantly forgettable as was the mentioned criteria. He was literally written off by fans his d+1 season.

I don't think it was his play, but the fact that there was some weird crap going down at MSU.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The original also included 2nd-7th rounders carrying the pool, not just 1st rounders putting up forgettable seasons.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think it was his play, but the fact that there was some weird crap going down at MSU.
It was everything about him both on and off ice. His game vanished, then he became a cancer. His game was never seen again as quality at any level he played from then on.

The original also included 2nd-7th rounders carrying the pool, not just 1st rounders putting up forgettable seasons.
As I mentioned, and you did as well, Voloshenko was highly thought of for a time. He was originally expected to be a first round pick. People called him a steal on draft day and were genuinely excited about him for a while. He just never panned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad