Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I haven't been able to watch as many Iowa games this year as I have in the past.. I see Dewar is still listed on their roster. Is he just a healthy scratch? I have been pretty excited about him as a prospect!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I haven't been able to watch as many Iowa games this year as I have in the past.. I see Dewar is still listed on their roster. Is he just a healthy scratch? I have been pretty excited about him as a prospect!

As have I. It appears he's just a scratch and Iowa is playing the vets. Same reason Sokolov isn't playing and Lodnia was returned to the CHL. Disappointing for sure.

Reactions: StateofCelly

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Will be interesting to see what happens down in Iowa this year. I love Sam Anas as a person and he is a solid player, but they should almost move on from similar guys like him and let guys like Dewar and Sokolov get their minutes. Someone who will never crack the NHL roster doesn't deserve playing time over someone with lots of potential. However I do think Des Moines and the Wild themselves loved the success last year so I am sure there are monetary reasons driven behind most of these decisions.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Will be interesting to see what happens down in Iowa this year. I love Sam Anas as a person and he is a solid player, but they should almost move on from similar guys like him and let guys like Dewar and Sokolov get their minutes. Someone who will never crack the NHL roster doesn't deserve playing time over someone with lots of potential. However I do think Des Moines and the Wild themselves loved the success last year so I am sure there are monetary reasons driven behind most of these decisions.

yep, that's the ongoing debate. I do think after so many seasons of poor hockey in Des Moines, the decision was taken to make the squad competitive. Playoff hockey drives subscriptions and good hockey drives gate, and otherwise you risk tanking the market (which itself was already a bit of a risky venture).

Good to see guys like Bitten and Duhaime on the scoresheet at least. Belpedio and Menell will get key minutes too, and the goalies. So, all in all, I don't think of Lodnia or Sokolov as top-tier prospects. Not much to lose in either case. It's too bad about Shaw and hopefully Dewar can work his way into the lineup as the season grinds.

Reactions: StateofCelly

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
yep, that's the ongoing debate. I do think after so many seasons of poor hockey in Des Moines, the decision was taken to make the squad competitive. Playoff hockey drives subscriptions and good hockey drives gate, and otherwise you risk tanking the market (which itself was already a bit of a risky venture).

Good to see guys like Bitten and Duhaime on the scoresheet at least. Belpedio and Menell will get key minutes too, and the goalies. So, all in all, I don't think of Lodnia or Sokolov as top-tier prospects. Not much to lose in either case. It's too bad about Shaw and hopefully Dewar can work his way into the lineup as the season grinds.

I actually lived in DSM for a few years and there is a surprisingly hungry hockey market but no one ever really committed to it. I mean there were teams there but they all felt as though they were a temporary spot. I think that perception for the Wild is fading which is really good. Des Moines Bucs games (USHL) are an absolute riot there.. used to spend a fair share of my beer money there haha.

See I really like Lodnia and think he has a tremendous upside, he has some swagger to him and confidence, maybe even over confidence.. that not many in the organization have. Duhaime is a cool prospect, ill never forget his shootout goal at Dev camp a few years back.. was filthy!

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yeah, the younger prospects are healthy scratches. I think Sokolov and especially Dewar will be given chances to work their way onto the roster. Remember the ahl is a very competitive league.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
makes no sense to me they would hire a bunch of vets instead of develop your future prospects. this org is driving me bat @@@@ crazy.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I tweeted Russo about Sokolov and he basically said the organization is really down on him. They basically have given up on him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I tweeted Russo about Sokolov and he basically said the organization is really down on him. They basically have given up on him.

Kinda weird to give up on the guy after 16 goals and 30 points in 60 games as a 20 year old. It’s gotta be something off the ice or in practices if that’s really true.

He has flaws, but he’s also a talented goal scorer, which we desperately need.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Kinda weird to give up on the guy after 16 goals and 30 points in 60 games as a 20 year old. It’s gotta be something off the ice or in practices if that’s really true.

He has flaws, but he’s also a talented goal scorer, which we desperately need.

I think it's his skating and his work ethic. Basically Russo said "they've never been happy with him"

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Kind of dumb; also why do none of our prospects that have trouble with skating never develop?
GREAT question Koala. I have wondered the same thing too. And, it's not even our troubled prospects. It's decent skaters too.

In today's league, skating IS the most important attribute for the pure physical manifestation of the game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
oh sweet jesus, hes just outright been a healthy scratch? wow... i thought he was making some solid progression, no?
Apparently not solid enough. As others have pointed out, he's not exactly alone as a prospect being healthy scratched in Iowa right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad