Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Lol I like how people know Mayhews' play style after a 7 game cup of coffee with under 10 minutes average TOI over those 7 games. Often paired with offensive juggernauts and Wild top guns Gabriel Dumont and Victor Rask. I'd be perfectly comfortable sitting Donato to give Mayhew 10 games minimum. Same with Greenway. Guy is scoring at close to a goal a game clip. You gotta try and bottle up that confidence and see if he can produce, given a shot.
You would, sure. I doubt Guerin or Bruce would until after they are eliminated from playoff contention.

They know these players from training camp and practice as well as games, unlike us.

As for play style... I'm not saying anything other than in those 7 games, he looked like a lesser version of Fontaine. It didn't inspire me about his chances is all.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Someone mentioned Colton Gillies earlier;

Wow! This an old school style fight between Colton Gillies (Dinamo Riga) and Danil Romantsev (Sibir)

Oh, and as far as Mayhew, or Anas(gotta watch the pronounciation), or Mennell....I mean, what's the big problem? It's not like we are breaking up the lineup of the 1957 Canadiens. What is everyone afraid of, that Mayhew will actually be able to score goals at the NHL level, and mess with the tank? We are all giddy about a guy playing over in Russia, but are ignoring what is happening right down the road in Des Moines.

Last edited:
Reactions: P10p

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
AKL just last night was talking about how all the offense comes from whatever line Fiala is on....I pointed out that the line Zach is on puts on a lot of pressure most every night and gets great chances too... then he also pointed out even strength points as a counter arguement.

I then pointed out last night's points all came on the PP, so that means no line is generating offensive chances huh? Of course not! They're still putting on great pressure as a line!

I get it, even strength points are an indicator, but not the only indicator. You can still play great offensively at even strength, yet the ones that happen to go in are on the PP.

Great even strength play often creates power plays too. Zach does a lot of that creating, as does Fiala. Fiala is our best forward, but Zach has been our 2nd best for a while and it's not close.

The chances and pressure he puts on the offensive zone speaks for itself.

About Fiala, As a 17 yr old Kid, he was playing in the SHL (Swedish Hockey League ... the big one) ... and played for HV71. There he was called up for sikness reasons ... and there he stayed. not only did he stay but he actually turned around the whole team , bringing energy to it. From a 3rd tiers team, they became a top 2nd tiers team. He truly triggered a wake up. He had this in him. He was benched several times for temper outburst ... a teenager !! :)
I always considered him as gifted ... above the others ... and he got frustrated because he couldn't translate what he had in his head on the ice. Therefore he had temper problems. (beeing young)

I already had given up on him (in Nashville), all to my disapointment, thinking him not being able to translate that in NHL, that the gap of players quality was too big, smaller rink ... whatever differences ... just against him and that therefore it wouldn't work anymore.
But i saw a type of wake up lately it seems.

Hopefuly he can keep it up.
He has the skills. And a very high hockey IQ.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
About Fiala, As a 17 yr old Kid, he was playing in the SHL (Swedish Hockey League ... the big one) ... and played for HV71. There he was called up for sikness reasons ... and there he stayed. not only did he stay but he actually turned around the whole team , bringing energy to it. From a 3rd tiers team, they became a top 2nd tiers team. He truly triggered a wake up. He had this in him. He was benched several times for temper outburst ... a teenager !! :)
I always considered him as gifted ... above the others ... and he got frustrated because he couldn't translate what he had in his head on the ice. Therefore he had temper problems. (beeing young)

I already had given up on him (in Nashville), all to my disapointment, thinking him not being able to translate that in NHL, that the gap of players quality was too big, smaller rink ... whatever differences ... just against him and that therefore it wouldn't work anymore.
But i saw a type of wake up lately it seems.

Hopefuly he can keep it up.
He has the skills. And a very high hockey IQ.
Seems unwise to give up on a 22yo

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Wow! This an old school style fight between Colton Gillies (Dinamo Riga) and Danil Romantsev (Sibir)

Oh, and as far as Mayhew, or Anas(gotta watch the pronounciation), or Mennell....I mean, what's the big problem? It's not like we are breaking up the lineup of the 1957 Canadiens. What is everyone afraid of, that Mayhew will actually be able to score goals at the NHL level, and mess with the tank? We are all giddy about a guy playing over in Russia, but are ignoring what is happening right down the road in Des Moines.

I wish you’d stop trying to compare Kaprizov and Mayhew, it’s a bad comparison

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Again, not sure why Menell is being brought into this conversation, I think everyone here is pretty optimistic about his chances right now.

Anas and Mayhew, they simply don't compare with Kaprizov. Not a good analogy at all.

Edit: For what it's worth, here's a list of leading AHL goal scorers since the 03-04 season. The only notable players NHL-wise did so at a rather young age. Those who did so at Mayhew's age generally were barely NHL scrubs a handful of times.

Willie Marshall Award - Wikipedia

As I said, give him a shot at some point, sure... but don't expect much.

Alexandre Giroux managed 110 goals (60 and 50 goal seasons) in a 2 year span... yet could never get more than 1 goal or 2 points in any of his NHL chances.

Scoring in the AHL is significantly easier than the NHL.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As is scoring in the KHL, the WHL, the QJHL, etc..kind of obvious.
Obviously, but doing such scoring at a younger age is a clear sign of a young player adapting his game vs older more mature competition. A very tough thing to do.

Mayhew is the older more mature competition though already. He's never excelled vs his peers... his peers are either old journeyman in the AHL who aren't good enough to play in the NHL, or are players in their prime in the NHL which he never excelled against when he was at their same level.

That's why he's unlikely to change that narrative now.

That's why the Wild aren't going to assume he can when the season is on the line to get into the playoffs.

If/ when they are eliminated is likely when he'd get the chance.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Wheeler responded to a comment on how last night's trade changed his prospect pool rankings

Q: So, do the Penguins & Wild rankings change after the trade?

A: Came here knowing this comment would be here. Without giving it too much thought:

Wild move from No. 14 to No. 11, maybe as high as No. 9. He becomes their third or fourth best prospect and really moves the needle in a group of teams that were already tight.

Penguins slide from No. 28 to No. 29 (moving the Capitals up), maybe lower. He was their clear top prospect.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
At this point are we writing off FJo?
At this point I think of him similar to any late round pick. I won't really bother to consider him a legit NHL prospect until he does something to prove he is. Looks like he went from little ice time to healthy scratched to sent down to the minors in the past month. Nothing to get very excited about yet.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd rather keep the guys playing well in Iowa in Iowa if MN falls out of the Playoff picture. There is only a limited amount of players that can be moved after the TDL. Bring up the vet scrubs (Brown) and let the Iowa team worry about the AHL Playoffs.

If Iowa was still a tirefire I'd say give Anas and/or Mayhew a cookie and bring them to the NHL for a cup of coffee.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Sure not a lot of talk about Alexander Khovanov. I’m a Bruins fan so I’m not biased at all for your prospects but this kid is incredible. He’s dominant in the Q. I don’t see why he can’t become a legitimate first or second line Center in the bigs. Pairing him with Kaprizov and Fiala would be dynamite. He’s not just a good scorer, he is a very defensively responsible center that can make his linemates better. Plus he has a mean streak which I love. I could see in 2 years him being a force.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Sure not a lot of talk about Alexander Khovanov. I’m a Bruins fan so I’m not biased at all for your prospects but this kid is incredible. He’s dominant in the Q. I don’t see why he can’t become a legitimate first or second line Center in the bigs. Pairing him with Kaprizov and Fiala would be dynamite. He’s not just a good scorer, he is a very defensively responsible center that can make his linemates better. Plus he has a mean streak which I love. I could see in 2 years him being a force.
There has definitely been a lot of talk about him, just not much in the past week or two here. We've got Kaprizov-Khovanov-Fiala ready to go (or Boldy in there somewhere).

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
There is also a kid called Beckman who is tearing up the WHL.
STH in Kelowna so I’ve seen Beckham some over the past couple years. Good talent. Not sure he will be a top 6 guy at the next level though. Big separation from him and Khovanov at the moment. In my opinion of course.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Khovanov is full year older. Of course he should be ahead in his development. I would argue that Beckman of this year is better than Khovanov at the same age last year, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad