Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

They have a week, but there has been no reporting, which is the odd thing. Everything has been about Kaprizov, but it's odd they haven't talked about Bourdias, especially given the year he has had.

Edit: Aha, trying to find it in Athletic, but Russo did comment on Bourdias in the Athletic. Knew I thought I heard something.

Last edited:
Reactions: fgobuzz

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I'm assuming the kid can't skate, because otherwise signing him should be a no-brainer.
I spent 5 minutes looking at what I could find on him. From that 5mins I've concluded that he:

- can't skate
- can't fight

He's just big.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I spent 5 minutes looking at what I could find on him. From that 5mins I've concluded that he:

- can't skate
- can't fight

He's just big.
That's too bad because 6'5" 225 and right handed is always nice to have

keeneyedobserver

Mar 5, 2014
I can’t believe with his size and scoring touch, they won’t give him a shot. Who are we planning on signing, that we can’t believe give him some run?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can’t believe with his size and scoring touch, they won’t give him a shot. Who are we planning on signing, that we can’t believe give him some run?

I wouldn't read too much into his scoring touch. It's likely a result of being overaged and oversized in a kids league. He was also likely helped out by playing with Sokolov, who was one of the top Russian juniors this year. If you're a big guy that can't skate and can't play physical, there's no place for you in the pros.

Shmookpup

Aug 8, 2016
I don't want to obsess over a 6th-round pick, but why did Minnesota draft Boudrias in the first place? He was an overager, they knew what they were getting. He's a power forward who can pitch in offensively, in a league where the average player is far below his height & weight. This was known then and is known now. Despite this advantage, he did have a good season. So were there personnel changes in Minnesota from Summer 2018 to now? I can't seem to rationalize not giving him a chance in the minors considering they decided to questionably draft him 2 years ago

EDIT: I feel like management expected him to develop as a skater, but he was a big immobile PF then. Did they really think that would change dramatically?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't want to obsess over a 6th-round pick, but why did Minnesota draft Boudrias in the first place? He was an overager, they knew what they were getting. He's a power forward who can pitch in offensively, in a league where the average player is far below his height & weight. This was known then and is known now. Despite this advantage, he did have a good season. So were there personnel changes in Minnesota from Summer 2018 to now? I can't seem to rationalize not giving him a chance in the minors considering they decided to questionably draft him 2 years ago

EDIT: I feel like management expected him to develop as a skater, but he was a big immobile PF then. Did they really think that would change dramatically?

That’s the purpose of late round picks. Take a chance on some long shots. This one didn’t work out, as most 6th rounders don’t. Nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Great pass at 3:38. Had some great stretch passes, too. Yeah, I'm expecting him to be a good AHL guy or a 4th line NHL guy. He's not big, he's not overly fast, but he does have good puck skill and is relatively shifty. Might be a tweener? Or maybe he'll surprise us all and keep improving beyond what we think he will. A man can dream!

P10p

May 15, 2012
He has a very weird skating stride, nice to see more power behind it this year. It used to look like he was skating in sand, not by speed, but by his style.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Firstov is slept on. Had a really good freshman year.

Slept on? He had a good year, albeit playing in a weak conference. Question is whether there were other guys available... he was a reach by many assessments. Fagemo did better than he did playing pro hockey, Nick Robertson might be playing NHL playoffs, Albert Johansson had a nice season, etc. Then they trade up for the goalie, costing another pick (Puistola was more highly-rated by some than Firstov was). Strange round, remains to be seen if it was worth it.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Slept on? He had a good year, albeit playing in a weak conference.
Since when did Hockey East become a weak conference, the beginning of your argument? They had 5 teams ranked in the top 20 last year.

Question is whether there were other guys available... he was a reach by many assessments. Fagemo did better than he did playing pro hockey
Quite the revisionist history you have here. Firstov was considered the BPA when we took him. Fagemo didn't even get drafted in his first year of eligibility.

Nick Robertson might be playing NHL playoffs
Speaks more to the lack of depth of the Leafs and the desperation from the front office to not get bounced in the 1st round yet again

Albert Johansson had a nice season
By what measurement? I think it's safe to say any Swedish defenseman with the last name Johansson should be avoided like the plague.

Then they trade up for the goalie, costing another pick (Puistola was more highly-rated by some than Firstov was). Strange round, remains to be seen if it was worth it.
Hunter Jones finished as the 2nd best DY+1 goalie and 3rd best overall in the CHL last season. I'd say he was worth the pick. Last thing we needed is going LW > LW > LW in that draft.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I agree that Hockey East isn't that weak. But...

I can't speak to the kid's defensive play, but a 13 point season by a 19 year old defenseman playing in the SHL is pretty darn good. The season after his draft Brodin put up 8. Don't let his Johansson name fool you, Albert's a different player than Simon or Filip, neither of whom have hit 13 points in the SHL yet. And I don't mean in a season, I mean career. Heck, combined.

Those guys that Saga listed all did have good seasons, and that doesn't diminish Firstov's season, which was also good. Development is a competition, but it's one that multiple people can win. They're all winners so far! I'm glad we've got one of them!

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Rankings.... BC and BU will be highly-ranked no matter what they do ....Yes, there are worse conferences. But there's a gap between NCHC and the rest. UConn also plays a relatively weak schedule. I said he had a good season, and we discussed it here a bunch as it happened. So, no, he's not "slept on."

BPA by what standard? Some had him much lower. And as you pointed out, Minnesnota, we have a ton of left wing prospects.

Nothing wrong with drafting a second-year eligible either, as Fagemo was.

Not dogging Firstov, I just thought there were better options at the time. And his good freshman season, while welcome, doesn't tell us too much about his NHL chances.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Rankings.... BC and BU will be highly-ranked no matter what they do ....Yes, there are worse conferences. But there's a gap between NCHC and the rest. UConn also plays a relatively weak schedule. I said he had a good season, and we discussed it here a bunch as it happened. So, no, he's not "slept on."

BPA by what standard? Some had him much lower. And as you pointed out, Minnesnota, we have a ton of left wing prospects.

Nothing wrong with drafting a second-year eligible either, as Fagemo was.

Not dogging Firstov, I just thought there were better options at the time. And his good freshman season, while welcome, doesn't tell us too much about his NHL chances.

Copy and paste to almost every pick ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad