OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Anyone sticking with Wheel of Time able to say it's worth it?
I'm giving it a 2nd try ... trying to watch it with a clean slate. The problem is that WOT is the epic fantasy that I cut my teeth on. My nerdiness started with Dragonlance and then forgotten realms (basically Drizzt). WOT was my first epic high fantasy and is very special to my nerdy, geeky, heart. My first try at Amazon's adaption.... pissed me off. From the very introduction when they narrated that the Dragon might be a boy or a girl my eyes were rolling. And then the casting... it's just bad. Moraine, Rand, and Mat are pretty good... but that's about it.

Obviously, this show (and the books of course) will be and are compared with Game of thrones/ A Song of Ice and Fire. But the fact of the matter is that when HBO adapted Martin's works .... they adapted it (initially) to a T. The first season of GOT is damn near a perfect word for word adaptation of the first book of the series. Not only is the story a word for word adaptation, the casting is absolutely what anyone would picture it to be after they read the book. Granted.... the show diverges in later seasons, but you're hooked by then. Amazon's WOT is not that.

I know this is a late post since the show has been out for a bit... but I was so disappointed after the first time I tried to watch it I just completely wrote it off. Trying again tonight with a bit more open mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Signed: An angry nerd with dorito dust on his fingertips.

I will say this... I highly recommend the books. They drag a bit in the middle, but it is overall a great read. Sanderson (who finished after Jordan passed) wrapped it up well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm genuinely curious.... those of you that didn't read the books but watched the show based on comparisons to GOT..... what are your thoughts?

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I remember the first three books being good, but I gave up somewhere around book 8 after 1700 pages of milling around and tugging on braids. I've heard Sanderson did a good job with the last few volumes though, so it might be worth the slog.
It's worth the slog...Jordan meanders a bit in the middle... but Sanderson does an excellent job taking care of all the loose ends and gives it a fitting ending.

Yeah .... braids are tug, no doubt

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's worth the slog...Jordan meanders a bit in the middle... but Sanderson does an excellent job taking care of all the loose ends and gives it a fitting ending.

Yeah .... braids are tug, no doubt
My brother in law told me the same thing about a month ago, so I might try taking another swing at it eventually. It'd be hard to justify re-reading umpteen-hundred pages, but I guess that's what fan wikis are for.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My sister was into the WOT when they first came out. I seem to recall reading the first book, and maybe part of the second. Seemed really derivative of Tolkien, and once I learned there were about 4 more books (back then) I lost whatever mild interest I had. What are there now, 13 books? :laugh: I think that the series is getting better as it goes...not appointment watching, but ok.

I am saving my ire for the new Foundation series.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I miss those days when Minnesota actually had REAL winters.....when you could flood the outdoor rink in November and skate on it completely uninterrupted through March. If I wanted winters above freezing and grass in the yard on Christmas day, I would have moved to @#$!ing Florida by now. This is BS! I need to speak to Mother Nature's manager, already!

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I miss those days when Minnesota actually had REAL winters.....when you could flood the outdoor rink in November and skate on it completely uninterrupted through March. If I wanted winters above freezing and grass in the yard on Christmas day, I would have moved to @#$!ing Florida by now. This is BS! I need to speak to Mother Nature's manager, already!
It’s not Mother Nature causing this….

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

As someone who has to hang off telephone poles in -40* weather for work...

F*** all that. I'm good with warmer.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As someone who has to hang off telephone poles in -40* weather for work...

F*** all that. I'm good with warmer.
Did something similar in the past. Certainly gives you a different perspective.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
For those of you who like BBQ, The Baker's Rib in EP is about as good as it gets.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That moment when you realize you had the wrong thread selected when you clicked merge...

6de879ebc86ff5eda9afd6b228eb4767_w200.gif

Got it sorted out... but... oops!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Got my deer meat today. 40 lbs of burger and 35 lbs of sausages (so yummy). I had cut a couple steaks out when it was fresh. I don't like frozen deer steak.

With the price of burger it came at a good time, for sure.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Got my deer meat today. 40 lbs of burger and 35 lbs of sausages (so yummy). I had cut a couple steaks out when it was fresh. I don't like frozen deer steak.

With the price of burger it came at a good time, for sure.

If the City of Coon Rapids and my neighbors wouldn't mind me hunting in my backyard, I'd probably have venison for years in my freezers. City deer have it made.... aside from cars anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad