OT: General OT Thread #37: Warren G Harding Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Yeah, that's the thing, just the commitment to start. No skates, no equipment. I think at the very least I should try doing a bunch of skating this upcoming winter and then I'll see. Looks like the AHA sessions are on the very opposite end of the cities from me (35-40 minute drive), so I'd need to find something closer.

There are pick up games all over the cities. Here: http://jmshockey.com

Never linked anything on these boards before. Hopefully I did that right. You can sign up for the "novice" games. If I remember right, AHA is pretty expensive. So this is an option if you want to dive right in with people around your same skill. Never too late to learn :).

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Never linked anything on these boards before. Hopefully I did that right. You can sign up for the "novice" games. If I remember right, AHA is pretty expensive. So this is an option if you want to dive right in with people around your same skill. Never too late to learn :).

In my personal experience, AHA is vastly overpriced. Last time I played, about 2 years ago, there was a $500 fee to play a season. Granted you played like 20 games or so and got jerseys. The downside was you had to travel all over for your games.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Yeah, AHA runs about $500 for Beginner School, which is 10 lessons with coaches and then 10 official league games against the other half of the beginner class. After that I dunno what the season dues are; I suspect slightly cheaper.

Obviously it doesn't work for everyone but I thought it was a great experience and well worth the money. Really liked the coaches, teammates, and league in general. $500/season is about what I'm paying out here for much lower quality leagues and facilities.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, AHA runs about $500 for Beginner School, which is 10 lessons with coaches and then 10 official league games against the other half of the beginner class. After that I dunno what the season dues are; I suspect slightly cheaper.

Obviously it doesn't work for everyone but I thought it was a great experience and well worth the money. Really liked the coaches, teammates, and league in general.

I wasn't playing beginner, I think I finished at Level 3? Does that sound right? Iunno, I just remember the fee being around $500. I have now found a few leagues where the fees are less than $100 for 10+ games.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Cool, thanks for the info all!

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Now that I committed to Minnesota, Kapusta told me then just how much trouble Minnesota have in getting Canadian physics graduate students from outside schools in the Prairie provinces. Students at schools in Manitoba and Saskatchewan supplied the majority of Canadian applications to Minnesota for the physics PhD in the past 6-8 years or so; whether or not these past applications resulted in admits and, from there, matriculants is unknown at this time.

Kapusta couldn't remember when Minnesota last received a physics PhD application from a francophone Quebec school (McGill supplied the last application from Quebec 8+ years ago) if any.

Suffice to say that, among Canadian undergraduates, the University of Minnesota seems to enjoy a very regional reputation, just like the University of Washington, another school at the same tier for physics, seems to receive the majority of its Canadian applications from British Columbia alone.

There will be some who value the education they could be receiving as opposed to just getting a degree in Communication or Nutrition.

[snip] Actual players on both rosters major in business more than nutrition (in CFANS and hence on the St. Paul campus, but is declaring a major on the St. Paul campus a red flag for an athlete?) and in communication.

After all, one would think that hockey players who can't make it academically into the U on their own but can still play at the D1 level would still have the option of playing in major junior. And players who can play at the D1 level but who stand no chance whatsoever to play professionally would still want to salvage their education.

Last edited by a moderator:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Now that I committed to Minnesota, Kapusta told me then just how much trouble Minnesota have in getting Canadian physics graduate students from outside schools in the Prairie provinces. Students at schools in Manitoba and Saskatchewan supplied the majority of Canadian applications to Minnesota for the physics PhD in the past 6-8 years or so; whether or not these past applications resulted in admits and, from there, matriculants is unknown at this time.

Kapusta couldn't remember when Minnesota last received a physics PhD application from a francophone Quebec school (McGill supplied the last application from Quebec 8+ years ago) if any.

Suffice to say that, among Canadian undergraduates, the University of Minnesota seems to enjoy a very regional reputation, just like the University of Washington, another school at the same tier for physics, seems to receive the majority of its Canadian applications from British Columbia alone.

[snip] Actual players on both rosters major in business more than nutrition (in CFANS and hence on the St. Paul campus, but is declaring a major on the St. Paul campus a red flag for an athlete?) and in communication.

After all, one would think that hockey players who can't make it academically into the U on their own but can still play at the D1 level would still have the option of playing in major junior. And players who can play at the D1 level but who stand no chance whatsoever to play professionally would still want to salvage their education.
Well, I still think it's safe to say you won't be TAing many athletes :laugh:

I never took it, but I remember always hearing what a ***** Physics 1001 at the U is.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

Congrats BTW!!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
MFW first sound of thunder of the year.

melky-cabrera.gif

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
38 special: Caught Up in You, Duuby Duby Doo.

:dunno:

The only number that i can associate with 38 is the old rock band 38 special.

Edit: its hilarious looking at these old rock n roll videos, with all the different and crazy styles back than.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
38 special: Caught Up in You, Duuby Duby Doo.

:dunno:

The only number that i can associate with 38 is the old rock band 38 special.

Edit: its hilarious looking at these old rock n roll videos, with all the different and crazy styles back than.

I don't know what you're talking about. That video has aged spectacularly.

Can barely tell it wasn't made in the last 5 years. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad