OT: General OT Thread #37: Warren G Harding Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
The Bond series didn't used to take even itself seriously...it's slowly moved to the more serious side over the decades and is no longer what it's roots created it as.

"Kingsman The Secret Service" is what Bond used to be and it was great!

Blame Austin Powers. It has been cited numerous times as the reason the franchise cannot make jokes anymore.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
As a student that will likely go to Minnesota for a physics PhD, and TA physics courses at the beginning, I have but one question: do football or hockey players at Minnesota actually take physics courses that often?

I do not expect football or hockey players to take anything beyond the introductory physics courses though.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
As a student that will likely go to Minnesota for a physics PhD, and TA physics courses at the beginning, I have but one question: do football or hockey players at Minnesota actually take physics courses that often?

I do not expect football or hockey players to take anything beyond the introductory physics courses though.

Some do. My roommate took physics with a basketball player (he never played, but he was still on the team, haha).

But, the vast majority [I would assume], do not.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Getting tickets tonight for the Trailer Park Boys show in Helsinki. October can't come fast enough!

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
So I made a commitment to ****ing finally start hockey next season. When september hits, I have a team and I'm going in. Whatever happens, it starts now.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

you'd see more athletes in Geology and Horticulture classes. Tons of football and hockey guys when I took those for my science classes. Geology was a snoozer, however, Horticulture was legit work.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
you'd see more athletes in Geology and Horticulture classes. Tons of football and hockey guys when I took those for my science classes. Geology was a snoozer, however, Horticulture was legit work.
Yeah I took a geology class that was FULL of athletes. Hockey, Football, tennis, and others. I was one of the probably 15-20% who were not athletes. :laugh:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So I made a commitment to ****ing finally start hockey next season. When september hits, I have a team and I'm going in. Whatever happens, it starts now.

Ozrnvfa.gif

Good for you, man. Any thoughts about a possible position?

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale

Of course some athletes take physics courses. Athletes are normal people that are good at certain physical activities. Some are more intelligent than others just like non-athletes. So some hockey and football players are bound to take challenging courses like physics, but some don't.

But by using my brain, I've come to the conclusion that not many physics students are hockey or football players. The total number of students taking physics and the percentage of those students that would be from those two teams at the school would have to be low given the size of the U. Also given that these two teams are division 1 and especially the hockey team, have players drafted and going on to professional hockey elsewhere. They are far less likely to take on a challenging major. Some just want to stay eligible and focus on their future career in hockey instead of as an engineer...

Theres always a few though as Physics 1 is usually a prerequisite for a lot of the science based majors.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

There will be some who value the education they could be receiving as opposed to just getting a degree in Communication or Nutrition.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Congrats Sharppi!!

I joined a beginner school in MN as a true beginner two winters ago and it's honestly probably the best decision I've ever made. Now I'm playing ~twice a week and it's the best part of my week, every week, hands down.

You'd do well to get some real ice-time in between now and then--I did public skates maybe once a week the summer before I started. Skating is hands-down the biggest determiner of success, and it's also something you don't have a chance to really focus on during games.

And don't fret too much! At low levels (at least in MN and CA) I've found people are very level-headed. They get that everyone's there to learn the game and have a good time. You'll be absolutely shocked how far you've come after a season or two.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Congrats Sharppi!!

I joined a beginner school in MN as a true beginner two winters ago and it's honestly probably the best decision I've ever made. Now I'm playing ~twice a week and it's the best part of my week, every week, hands down.

You'd do well to get some real ice-time in between now and then--I did public skates maybe once a week the summer before I started. Skating is hands-down the biggest determiner of success, and it's also something you don't have a chance to really focus on during games.

And don't fret too much! At low levels (at least in MN and CA) I've found people are very level-headed. They get that everyone's there to learn the game and have a good time. You'll be absolutely shocked how far you've come after a season or two.

I can't wait. I just can't wait.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Congrats Sharppi!!

I'm just getting back into playing. Used to play as a young one. There is a lot of good pick up drop in games around Minnesota all year round. I'm a pretty decent skater but I am pretty clueless when it comes to positioning and all the advanced tactics of a game. Trying to make some lifestyle changes this Summer (eating habits, workout routines). Figured hockey would be something fun to include in that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Time for suggestions about the next thread title.

It's only taken us... holy damn, 4 months....to get this one close to dead.

Remember when we were knocking these threads out in like two weeks?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Man, wish I played hockey. I've skated twice in my life. I'd love to play but it'd take me a while to get up to speed. I feel like I know the game well enough and could be a decent power forward if I had played. Love playing broomball but only get to play with some friends like 3 times a year. I don't even have a pair of skates though. :laugh:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Demitra played here for 2 years. Not to say he wasn't a great player. But honestly it was a cup of coffee for him.

Not that I have any better suggestions haha.

How about General OT Thread #38: Start the Cheeseburger Party Already

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Man, wish I played hockey. I've skated twice in my life. I'd love to play but it'd take me a while to get up to speed. I feel like I know the game well enough and could be a decent power forward if I had played. Love playing broomball but only get to play with some friends like 3 times a year. I don't even have a pair of skates though. :laugh:
Three years ago I was saying the exact same thing. AHA Beginner School in the Twin Cities was just awesome for me, if you're looking for a way to get started. You want to get your legs under you a little bit before you sign up, but you don't need more than casual skating ability to get started. The hardest part is making that first commitment to get out there.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Three years ago I was saying the exact same thing. AHA Beginner School in the Twin Cities was just awesome for me, if you're looking for a way to get started. You want to get your legs under you a little bit before you sign up, but you don't need more than casual skating ability to get started. The hardest part is making that first commitment to get out there.

Yeah, that's the thing, just the commitment to start. No skates, no equipment. I think at the very least I should try doing a bunch of skating this upcoming winter and then I'll see. Looks like the AHA sessions are on the very opposite end of the cities from me (35-40 minute drive), so I'd need to find something closer.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Yeah, that's the thing, just the commitment to start. No skates, no equipment. I think at the very least I should try doing a bunch of skating this upcoming winter and then I'll see. Looks like the AHA sessions are on the very opposite end of the cities from me (35-40 minute drive), so I'd need to find something closer.

Get a large bottle of Dawn. Go to a University or airline terminal. Put the dawn down as far as the eye can see and pull the fire alarm. Same concept. Repeat 4-5 times and I guarantee you have results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad