OT: General OT Thread #37: Warren G Harding Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Becoming a loyal listener of the Comedy Bang! Bang! podcast has allowed me to stumble upon the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project.

There are (unfortunately) only 8 of them, and I've been blowing through them in the last week. They are the funniest podcasts I've ever listened to.

Andy Daly is a ****ing genius. All his characters are just fantastic. :laugh:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Duluth is an pretty cool city. Absolutely beautiful weather in the non-winter months. It never gets old driving down the hill and seeing the Lake Superior stretch as far as you can see. When I left last year the roads were just awful in spots, like major roads that everyone uses, 4th street has so many bumps and pot holes, hopefully they started to patch that road up. They redid 21st ave my senior year, and that was awesome.

If you're looking at places to move to in Duluth, avoid West Duluth generally. Lincoln Park isn't too bad. I lived in Central Hillside for 3 years and it was fairly cheap and not a bad area, I could walk to the Whole Foods which was nice, it just looks sorta run down in parts. Really there aren't any huge stretches of "bad" neighborhoods to avoid in Duluth, there are like little concentrated pockets that are pretty easy to recognize.

Restaurants to check out:
Amazing Grace - fantastic sandwiches
At Sarah's Table - pretty solid cafe type place, but with more food
Big Daddy's Burgers - Probably my Favorite burger place in Duluth
Sir Ben's - my bar of choice, it's a pub-like atmosphere, it's not full of insanely drunk 20 year olds with fake IDs, but it's got some solid food and good beer and good people. I love the Russian guy that works there.
Duluth Grill - legitimately my favorite restaurant in Duluth. Food is very local (they have a pastie that has all its ingredients come from Wrenshall), a great place, gets very busy.
Uncle Louis cafe - a Hangover breakfast staple, people love this place. I'm not the biggest fan but I'm not a fan of "traditional breakfast".
Fitgers - pretty good food, but great local beers
Canal park Brewery - again, food/beer
7 West - beer/food
Burrito Union - It's ok. Not super amazing but owned by Fitgers so they've got that beer.
Go across the bridge to Superior to go to Anchor Bar (crappy service, cheap and good burgers/beer), there's a few other superior bars I heard good things about but never went to.
There's probably some more restaurants I'm forgetting but that's a decent list.

Grandmas is meh. The Grandmas/sports bar in Canal Park is absolutely ridiculous on the weekend nights, filled with horribly drunk college kids.

Understand that when you go there in July, the city is ridiculously more active and full of people and life then when it gets to the Nov-March times. Personally I preferred the winter times, when the city was just College kids and locals. Definitely look at joining the curling club if you move there, super fun, lots of drinking, good way to not get bored during winter. Also a season pass to Spirit Mountain if you ski/snowboard. Duluth during the summer and during the winter are like two different cities.

Check out Park Point, just a beautiful area, a sandy beach on Lake Superior, right across the Lift Bridge.

Enger Tower is beautiful, check that out for sure. Hawk Ridge is another great place with a good view, during the fall with the leaves changing it's a view that can't be beat. There are so many parks/nature areas around Duluth I don't really want to just list them all, but Chester Park is a classic.

There's tons of beautiful things to see up the North Shore but I'll just limit this to Duluth and immediately surrounding areas.

Not sure how you're driving to Duluth, but if you're going up 35, stop at Cloquet and go to Gordy's Hi Hat, great, cheap burgers, a local institution, only open during the spring-fall.

I really enjoyed my time in Duluth, but I'm also really glad I moved back to the cities. People in the cities complain about roads, but they have NO IDEA how bad roads can be. Duluth has to have the most smokers of any city in Minnesota. Duluth doesn't really have many ethnic foods. As a theatre/orchestra lover I'm glad I can go see one of the top Orchestras in the cities, and I'm glad there are so many top-notch theatre productions, not to mention getting to see touring musicians/comics, and going to professional sports games. There's just so much to do in the cities that I was missing in Duluth. I do miss the Duluth air - cold, fresh, clean. I miss the lake and I miss the nature and I miss that big ol' hill, despite the headaches it caused me. I miss the smaller feel of the city at times, and I miss driving up to Grand Marais and stopping at state parks along the way. It's a beautiful area, and Duluth is a city on the rebound.

Wow thanks for all of the suggestions. We will definitely check a bunch of these out.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
@tyratoku

I lived and went to school in Duluth as well. tomgilbert is right on the money. I feel the same way as far as missing the place but also enjoying being back in the cities. He is right about the roads haha.

Just wanted to add an idea i really enjoyed:

I used to go to improv comedy shows at the Teatro Zuccone on Superior steet from the Renegade comedy group. They have them Friday and Saturday nights. They are awesome. The crowd is part of the show in that you suggest topics as they go. They play different games. It is a great way to end a night with some laughs. The show used to start at 1030pm. The guys there are absolutely hilarious. Only five bucks. You can buy drinks before and bring them in, and there is an intermission and you can go out and get another or some snacks. Me and the lady used to go all the time. Really fun and cheap. Check out the site and make sure Jody Kujawa is in the lineup before you go. He is the highlight of the show. So funny.

I would definitely recommend driving up the shore a bit and just getting out and walking around on the rocks. Me and my roomates would go on "adventures" all the time. Just drive up and get out at some little rest spot and jump around on the rocks and just take in the beauty of the water. But you should really drive a bit farther to Tettegouche state park and Gooseberry. Absolutely awesome. I think you have go to these no doubt.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Btw, saw Red Army this afternoon...very well done documentary on the Red Army hockey team, and what the players went through during that time and later after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes hockey especially, but also to those who enjoy history!

For those in the South Metro, it's showing at the Lakeville theater...but for those elsewhere, there are other select theaters it's also showing at. Russo tweeted a list recently...

CBC0HF9UMAAh96g.jpg

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Btw, saw Red Army this afternoon...very well done documentary on the Red Army hockey team, and what the players went through during that time and later after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes hockey especially, but also to those who enjoy history!

I want to go see it, especially after watching the 30 for 30. Interesting stuff.

Billy Mays Here*

I must say Craig has become darn near my favorite Bond. The Bond movies he's been in have been so much better and more in depth than the classic Bond movies (though QoS wasn't very good). Love how they're not just sticking to the classic Bond formula for these movies, but rather adding so much emotional depth and story to them too, they're actually somewhat unpredictable, unlike the older ones. That's nothing against the acting ability of Connery, Moore or Brosnan, but more to do with the directing and current quality of movies in today's world.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes hockey especially, but also to those who enjoy history!...

Oh, thanks for the info! Didn't know about the documentary. Now I see that they've shown it here on some documentary festival last year. Got to find out how to see it here. Sounds very interesting.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I must say Craig has become darn near my favorite Bond. The Bond movies he's been in have been so much better and more in depth than the classic Bond movies (though QoS wasn't very good). Love how they're not just sticking to the classic Bond formula for these movies, but rather adding so much emotional depth and story to them too, they're actually somewhat unpredictable, unlike the older ones. That's nothing against the acting ability of Connery, Moore or Brosnan, but more to do with the directing and current quality of movies in today's world.

He (and his movies) have been great. I was unsure of him as bond just based on looks, but he's got that "Hardened spy that's seen and done some stuff" look down, the movies are beautifully shot and actually have some depth to them, they've gone away from the wackiness that started in Moore's bonds and got out of control in the non-Goldeneye Brosnan ones.

Best thing that happened to the Bond franchise was Austin Powers (and the Bourne movies). Because after that no one could take the idea of that many gadgets and the 'tradtional' bond formula seriously.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He (and his movies) have been great. I was unsure of him as bond just based on looks, but he's got that "Hardened spy that's seen and done some stuff" look down, the movies are beautifully shot and actually have some depth to them, they've gone away from the wackiness that started in Moore's bonds and got out of control in the non-Goldeneye Brosnan ones.

Best thing that happened to the Bond franchise was Austin Powers (and the Bourne movies). Because after that no one could take the idea of that many gadgets and the 'tradtional' bond formula seriously.

The Bond series didn't used to take even itself seriously...it's slowly moved to the more serious side over the decades and is no longer what it's roots created it as.

"Kingsman The Secret Service" is what Bond used to be and it was great!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
The Bond series didn't used to take even itself seriously...it's slowly moved to the more serious side over the decades and is no longer what it's roots created it as.

"Kingsman The Secret Service" is what Bond used to be and it was great!

I mean if you want to go straight to the roots, Dr. No didn't have any gadgets or even a Q branch. Then From Russia With Love had some gadgets/Q but was a pretty gritty Bond movie, and had surprisingly good characters, everyone just seemed so real. Then Guy Hamilton directed Goldfinger, and as beloved as that movie is it started the slide into techno-Bond, and as fun as that was those movies lost the depth that From Russia With Love had. Now we're back to a minimalist-gadget world and a deeper, more human Bond, so I'd argue we're actually back to the true roots now.

I disagree with Bond moving to the serious side over the decades. The last Moore movies (Moonraker to A View to a Kill) were absolutely ridiculous, I mean they go to space and Jaws falls in love with a tiny girl with braces. The we got to Dalton, who actually had 2 really good movies, they were darker, and they were pretty solid. Then we get to Goldeneye/Brosnan - the only good Brosnan Bond movie. Goldeneye was not as serious as the Dalton movies, but not as ridiculous as the end of the Moore era. But after Goldeneye we go right back to the Moonraker era in terms of ridiculousness - so many gadgets, ridiculous action sequences, and uninteresting plots with bad writing and one dimensional characters. Now we're in the Craig era - easily the best made films from a pure film making perspective.

Billy Mays Here*

I remember during the superbowl they had Brosnan do a commercial for a car or something, but they kind of related a lot of what was talked about in the commercial to Bond films with explosions and action sequences and such. I wonder if they tried to get Craig to do the commercial first, but maybe he said no and they had to settle for Brosnan?

Here it is, found it:

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
Putting my house up for sale this week. Going around putting all the finishing touches up on all the remodels I've done over the years. Thinking to myself i shoulda finished these a long time ago.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
For real though, that finale for Walking Dead is how you finish off a season right.

Good from beginning to end. This season was a resurgence to what the show peaked at in the first season. Just great.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
For real though, that finale for Walking Dead is how you finish off a season right.

Good from beginning to end. This season was a resurgence to what the show peaked at in the first season. Just great.

Cool, I still have to watch last week's episode yet, but I've enjoyed this season so far.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
The last episode I saw of The Walking Dead was the one where [spoil]The Governor cut off Herschel's head.[/spoil]

Is it worth catching back up on? For about a season and a half++ before that it was just losing me. I loved the first two seasons.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
The last episode I saw of The Walking Dead was the one where [spoil]The Governor cut off Herschel's head.[/spoil]

Is it worth catching back up on? For about a season and a half++ before that it was just losing me. I loved the first two seasons.

That was in S4 - pretty sure the S4 finale.

The first half of S5 (season finished last night) meandered a bit and had some questionable decisions at points, but for the most part the series improved quite a darn bit, especially with the latter half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad