OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He didn't even write the article, he just tweeted it out.

The point remains the same. Jaime O'Grady was personally and professionally embarrassed and has acted in a biased and unprofessional manner since then. Of course, Barstool makes their living on being unprofessional so it's hard to "fight" them on a level playing field if you're not in the smut/clickbait business. That said, everything that O'Grady contributes to this conversation, even if it's accurate, is a personal attack under the illusion of objectivity. He has been biting ankles for three years and has forfeited the pedestal he is trying to stand on.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The point remains the same. Jaime O'Grady was personally and professionally embarrassed and has acted in a biased and unprofessional manner since then. Of course, Barstool makes their living on being unprofessional so it's hard to "fight" them on a level playing field if you're not in the smut/clickbait business. That said, everything that O'Grady contributes to this conversation, even if it's accurate, is a personal attack under the illusion of objectivity. He has been biting ankles for three years and has forfeited the pedestal he is trying to stand on.

It was my mistake for using his tweet because I know nothing about O'Grady.

So here:

Barstool Sports Stole From Her. Then the ‘Insidious’ Harassment Began.
A comedian’s fight with Barstool Sports shows how Twitter’s copyright system can hurt creators
A Dispute on Twitter Illustrates the Insanity of Copyright Law

Direct links to articles without O'Grady tarnishing them. He doesn't contribute to the story at all from what I can tell so there's no need to invoke him or attack the credibility of the facts because he's not the source. The source is Miel Bredouw and she has screenshots to back up what she is saying.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It was my mistake for using his tweet because I know nothing about O'Grady.

So here:

Barstool Sports Stole From Her. Then the ‘Insidious’ Harassment Began.
A comedian’s fight with Barstool Sports shows how Twitter’s copyright system can hurt creators
A Dispute on Twitter Illustrates the Insanity of Copyright Law

Direct links to articles without O'Grady tarnishing them. He doesn't contribute to the story at all from what I can tell so there's no need to invoke him or attack the credibility of the facts because he's not the source. The source is Miel Bredouw and she has screenshots to back up what she is saying.

Yeah, they're a smut business that employees smut peddlers. They've built an empire on being assholes and have gotten rich tapping into the frat bro hivemind. I started reading it a few years ago because "Barstool Jordie" actually does a pretty solid job covering all things hockey and I found some of their content to be a fun way to read about sports but it's mostly a cesspool. The product has also gotten steadily worse over time.

What's unfortunate is they actually some decent talent and productions. Big Cat and PFT Commentator's "Pardon My Take" is terrific and so is the "Spittin' Chicklets" podcast with Ryan Whitney but all in all their website is trash and the "writers" are atrocious. Those guys are talented enough on their own to succeed without being under the Barstool umbrella but there's no denying Barstool has built a mammoth and loyal fanbase that can make or break people's careers.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Barstool’s frat shit has gotten old. Barstool’s writers could make it a 21st century ESPN if given an adult management team.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Airwolf was a favorite growing up. Right there with Blue Thunder and Firefox.

RIP

Me too. Picked up the Blue Thunder bluray a few years ago movie is still great. One thing that sort of blows me is all those helicopter stunts in a f'ing city. Could that even happen now? Would think it would go cgi.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Are we talking Roy Scheider Blue Thunder movie or the TV series?

Because the movie will be forever ingrained in my childhood memory for that early “stealth” flight. Sigh.....

Uuuuuuge Airwolfe fan. JMV was just a badass and his character was a badass. Ernest Borgnine was so loveable and yet effective as a supporting character.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Back to the golf broadcast topic, tried to watch the Palmer yesterday and couldn't do it. Way too many commercials, not even counting the "play through" which is just commercials with a split screen so you won't skip them.

At one point just before 5pm I rewound the dvr and saw something like 3 minutes of broadcast (not all golf, some interview) and then 3 minutes of commercials. Then 2 min of golf and 3 min of commercials. I think the most was 5 min of golf and 2-3min or commercials or similar but I didn't go very far back.

I skip or mute commercials so this makes a show completely unwatchable.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Current College Admissions scandal reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School", Dangerfield talking to the school's Dean Martin:laugh:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Really good read, thanks.

In my early 20s when I took up golf I read every book I could find, including Jack's picture book on the golf swing. In it, he tells personal stories in between instructions. He tells of when he was a young teenager learning and playing with his dad, he flubbed a shot from a sand trap and threw his club in the air over to the green. His dad turned, scowled at him and told him "the next time you throw a club will be the last golf club you'll ever touch... you need to stay calm if you want to keep playing this game". He would say those words helped him more in his career than any other sentence anyone ever said to him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our fellow caps fans from around the globe likely don't know about this chemical plant fire happening in Texas (of course)...

I wonder where and when that plume of toxic smoke will inevitably end up fully mixed with the air some poor souls will have to breathe. I guess it will all eventually get washed out when it mixes with rain... not sure who is in charge of toxic cloud management however.... IIIRC most of our air pollution ends up in Sweden. Who wants xylene, naptha and pyrolysis?

AP_19078024764602.jpg

ArcGIS Web Application

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Our fellow caps fans from around the globe likely don't know about this chemical plant fire happening in Texas (of course)...

I wonder where and when that plume of toxic smoke will inevitably end up fully mixed with the air some poor souls will have to breathe. I guess it will all eventually get washed out when it mixes with rain... not sure who is in charge of toxic cloud management however.... IIIRC most of our air pollution ends up in Sweden. Who wants xylene, naptha and pyrolysis?

AP_19078024764602.jpg

ArcGIS Web Application

My corporate HQ is in Houston, its bad there. Soon it will be bad downwind, for 1/4 of the country.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
OK I have to vent after my first game of the year.

The game day experience has gone downhill IMO. I may have to fire off an email to [email protected].

The light show at the beginning was kind of cool, but the sounds effects seem overly loud. Yeah getting old sucks. The cup holders, are only about 1 inch deep. What the f***??? I cannot believe they expect fans to put their 92 ounce beer that is 8" tall into it. I guess they want us to spill beers, to have to go buy more. What kid or drunk is not going to knock anything out of that? And of course its grossly too wide. I guess its for a specialized cup that no one had.

The lineups were posted with 8 minutes left in the first period. Information about the goal is in small text in a clunky closed caption format, spits out scrolled words slowly, but then disappears as more text appears. At the end you see something like:

>1
from Vrana.

And you have no idea what you just read, because it is too slow, and they never show you the scorers and assists at the same time. The PA announcer gets drowned out so you cannot always go by what you hear.

After the fight, the penalties were only announced AFTER the penalty boxes had been vacated.

The Walmart dudes frantically shoveling the ice at every chance, especially against fast team... meh.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Texas. Land of exploding factories.

From twitter comments: This seems to have become a rite of spring in the Houston area

I did hear that large chunks of ash were raining down on the Houston area, not unexpected of course. I feel like the country deserves to be told of exactly where the toxic cloud is going, in some sort of special safety announcement, and free masks should be available to the public as you do not want to inhale particulate matter. If it becomes washed out by rain, I presume using an umbrella would be a no brainer, otherwise you are bathing in it.

9 million pounds of pollutants as of Monday were released into the air. The fire burned for another day.

Searching the web, Texas official sites, EPA etc, it seems no one is tracking where the cloud is drifting.

D2B8ajrWoAApAak.jpg:large

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad