Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
LOL. My mom grew up in a kosher home. She didn't keep kosher at all and we mostly ate crap when I was a kid because she was a single mom who worked all the time. But I think a lot of iconic American foods like that were just not part of her consciousness because of her upbringing. And then for me, after eating garbage all my childhood, I became a vegetarian in high school and started learning how to cook. I'm not a veg anymore, but I eat pretty healthy.

EDIT: but I did love a good tastycake as a kid!

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, I am a fantastic chef.

HoHo's yes. Twinkies nope. Tastycakes, well OK if there are no HoHo's.

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I make my own pizza so I know what's in it.

Actually, I make almost all my own food, even Chinese. That's how I eat what I want and keep it clean.

At some point we'll have to discuss your homemade pizza. I've been doing a LOT of homemade pizza lately and I think I have it pretty dialed in. Its obviously better with a real brick pizza oven, but I've gotten nearly identical results on my Weber charcoal kettle with a thing called the KettlePizza - it lets the grill hit 800-900 degrees and makes killer Neapolitan style pizzas in 90-120 seconds . After that its all about the dough. And the sauce. And the toppings. :D

Kettlepizza-Charcoal-Grill-Pizza-Oven-Kit-for-Weber-Review.jpg

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
At some point we'll have to discuss your homemade pizza. I've been doing a LOT of homemade pizza lately and I think I have it pretty dialed in. Its obviously better with a real brick pizza oven, but I've gotten nearly identical results on my Weber charcoal kettle with a thing called the KettlePizza - it lets the grill hit 800-900 degrees and makes killer Neapolitan style pizzas in 90-120 seconds . After that its all about the dough. And the sauce. And the toppings. :D

Nice. I would love a proper pizza oven. I use a stone in my convection oven.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

That’s pretty cool looking....

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Nice. I would love a proper pizza oven. I use a stone in my convection oven.

I have a buddy who installed a nice outdoor brick pizza oven... due to various contractor headaches, it cost him $4800. So far his cost per pizza is still well over $100 each LOL.

The Kettle Pizza insert for the Weber was ~$150 or so.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I have a buddy who installed a nice outdoor brick pizza oven... due to various contractor headaches, it cost him $4800. So far his cost per pizza is still well over $100 each LOL.

The Kettle Pizza insert for the Weber was ~$150 or so.
:laugh: that better be some damned good pizza.

I'd have to buy the Weber too, but still maybe worth it.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Only had chikfila once or twice in my life and it wasn't good imho. Could also be why anyone would ever have anything other than a spicey chicken fillet from wendy's topped off by a frosty.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So after talking about it I got the itch to fire up the Pizza-grill, and wanted to share some hard earned research if anyone is interested in turning your pizza making up to 11.

Dough: Get Antimo Caputo Tipo 00 Pizza Flour (or another brand of Tipo 00 (zero zero)) and don't think twice about it. This is what the Italian Neapolitan Pizzerias use, its made in Naples, it has the right elastic gluten to make perfect chewy/crispy dough. For the love of all things holy, don't use regular flour you get at the grocery store. If you want the "why" this is the right flour for pizza dough, this book has an in depth section on the science of pizza dough and lots of different techniques for making it, from fast (same day) schedules to overnight (next day) schedules. Bottom line is plan your dough a day in advance.

Sauce: You want San Marzano D.O.P. tomatoes only. Its the Italian designation D.O.P certified (Protected Designation of Origin) which guarantees these are Roma tomatoes grown in San Marzano Italy, not some imitation grown in China or Turkey. Any brand that carries the D.O.P. designation will be fine.

Toppings are just personal choice, but a good simple Margherita fresh from the charcoal/wood oven can't be beat.

Pro tips:

The first few pies you cook on your new stone will probably stick or not cook all the way, and be a mess, don't waste toppings on your first pie of the day/night. The first ones season the stone a bit for the rest of the day. Once you've gone through 20-30 pies this won't be a problem.

If you're doing charcoal, throw wood chunks in there and get the fire hot, and use a ceiling stone or grate on the top of the PizzaKettle, to trap the heat over the pie. You want the crust and top to cook at the same rate, so a very hot stone and a very hot ceiling are key... if they are out of sync, you get uneven results. This is why a good pizza oven makes all the difference, but if you're doing the PizzaKettle thing there are lots of ways to set it up for better results. The Amazon reviews are good place to start.

Equipment: If you're doing this on a grill, with a limited opening, these pizza turners are indispensable. Much easier than trying to spin it with a peel in tight quarters. Also I use a wood peel for serving the pizzas, but only a thin metal one for building, inserting and removing the pizza's to/from the oven. Sometimes these pizza screens also really help if your stone isn't seasoned well and is sticking too much. They also really help if you're doing a pizza party and want to make many pies over the course of an hour or two.

Mangia bene!

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So after talking about it I got the itch to fire up the Pizza-grill, and wanted to share some hard earned research if anyone is interested in turning your pizza making up to 11.

Dough: Get Antimo Caputo Tipo 00 Pizza Flour (or another brand of Tipo 00 (zero zero)) and don't think twice about it. This is what the Italian Neapolitan Pizzerias use, its made in Naples, it has the right elastic gluten to make perfect chewy/crispy dough. For the love of all things holy, don't use regular flour you get at the grocery store. If you want the "why" this is the right flour for pizza dough, this book has an in depth section on the science of pizza dough and lots of different techniques for making it, from fast (same day) schedules to overnight (next day) schedules. Bottom line is plan your dough a day in advance.

Sauce: You want San Marzano D.O.P. tomatoes only. Its the Italian designation D.O.P certified (Protected Designation of Origin) which guarantees these are Roma tomatoes grown in San Marzano Italy, not some imitation grown in China or Turkey. Any brand that carries the D.O.P. designation will be fine.

Toppings are just personal choice, but a good simple Margherita fresh from the charcoal/wood oven can't be beat.

Pro tips:

The first few pies you cook on your new stone will probably stick or not cook all the way, and be a mess, don't waste toppings on your first pie of the day/night. The first ones season the stone a bit for the rest of the day. Once you've gone through 20-30 pies this won't be a problem.

If you're doing charcoal, throw wood chunks in there and get the fire hot, and use a ceiling stone or grate on the top of the PizzaKettle, to trap the heat over the pie. You want the crust and top to cook at the same rate, so a very hot stone and a very hot ceiling are key... if they are out of sync, you get uneven results. This is why a good pizza oven makes all the difference, but if you're doing the PizzaKettle thing there are lots of ways to set it up for better results. The Amazon reviews are good place to start.

Equipment: If you're doing this on a grill, with a limited opening, these pizza turners are indispensable. Much easier than trying to spin it with a peel in tight quarters. Also I use a wood peel for serving the pizzas, but only a thin metal one for building, inserting and removing the pizza's to/from the oven. Sometimes these pizza screens also really help if your stone isn't seasoned well and is sticking too much. They also really help if you're doing a pizza party and want to make many pies over the course of an hour or two.

Mangia bene!

Hello? Is this Big Save Dave's?

I would like to place an order for a delivery.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Pro tips:

Mangia bene!
My preferred flour: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVSDCY2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A3MXLTRINUPWUY&psc=1

I can my own tomatoes each season. Berkeley Bowl market usually gets San Marzanos in August and I get 2 cases. Then I'm set with canned tomatoes for the year.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My buddy just bought a brand new 2021 F250 Diesel for a whopping 85k. I mean wtf lol
It is nuts. Trucks are as nice as top of the line cars on the inside now. Leather, heated and cooled seats and some even will massage you. It’s a truck though. I got a 2018 Tacoma for 28k 3 years ago and I got the 2WD version because I didn’t want to spend over 30k for a truck. I just wanted a truck. Not a car with a bed. Crazy.

Reactions: max21
Sep 19, 2008
This is largely ot due to it being a kpop video but there is a caps shirt (oshie) at 0:45

Pretry exciting stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad