Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Respectfully, Poitras already seems to be more physical and more willing to make contact than Gryz, and that's with a lot more maturing to do physically as well. It's never about JUST height and weight, Clifton and Marchy are great examples of that.

Additionally, Makar and Fox are under 6 feet, but they also actually contribute some offense, which is the minimum I would expect from a smaller Dman.
I think people mistake the ability to avoid a hit for softness. People on this board would prefer a guy that gets stapled to the boards after every play because he “is willing to take a hit.” Gryz is one of the most effective players in the league at making plays and avoiding contact so that he can continue to contribute to the play. Recoveries are a huge part of hockey, and Gryz is one of the best at obtaining possession on a recovery and slipping a check to make a play.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Think this Matt vs Matt discussion is worth a thread tbh. But the discussion in here is already so quality. Maybe it just stays here.

Excellent posts so far guys.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don’t think it’s the concussion with Lysell I just think this is just where his game is currently at, a lot of these flaws existed before the hit in Prov.

That doesn’t mean I’m giving up on him or he’s a bust I just think he has a little ways to go to be effective in the NHL.

Claiming any prospect is a bust because he’s not NHL ready at 20 years old 50 games into his pro career is pretty silly imo.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think people mistake the ability to avoid a hit for softness. People on this board would prefer a guy that gets stapled to the boards after every play because he “is willing to take a hit.” Gryz is one of the most effective players in the league at making plays and avoiding contact so that he can continue to contribute to the play. Recoveries are a huge part of hockey, and Gryz is one of the best at obtaining possession on a recovery and slipping a check to make a play.
Another part of it is forwards have more of a need to initiate contact, whereas a dman retrieving the puck has to choose between taking the contact or trying to spin off/skate off of the check as Gryz excels. So maybe it appears Poitras wants to initiate contact because more often he actually needs to to get the puck.

You won't hear me call any nhler soft, all of which can surely beat my ass, but Gryz definitely actively avoids contact...nothing wrong with it as he is smart enough/quick enough to do so, but when he can't do so he does seem to struggle a bit.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Respectfully, Poitras already seems to be more physical and more willing to make contact than Gryz, and that's with a lot more maturing to do physically as well. It's never about JUST height and weight, Clifton and Marchy are great examples of that.

Additionally, Makar and Fox are under 6 feet, but they also actually contribute some offense, which is the minimum I would expect from a smaller Dman.
They're also two Norris winners making 11 and 12 million dollars this year - hard to use those two as the "minimum" you would expect from a smaller Dman.

Reactions: HustleB

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Game Day! Tonite’s line-up, not many regulars upfront, but strong on the backend and in net. Have to think Harrison, Farinacci, Hall and Abate are all fighting for 2-3 spots in regular top 12!

Harrison Farinacci Kalmikov
Keppen Lambert Hall
Abate Medhurst Stefanson
Pederson Dubinsky Arseneau

Brunet Regula
Chicoine Ritchie
Callahan Mast

DiPetro
Keyser

Anyone going to be at the game?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
They're also two Norris winners making 11 and 12 million dollars this year - hard to use those two as the "minimum" you would expect from a smaller Dman.
Completely misunderstanding me. The minimum I expect is SOME offense, not Fox or Makar levels of it. And those two were brought up by the OP, not me.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Was on Bruins homepage today and they have video up of Normand Leville .The roar from crowd was powerful when Bourque helped him skate out.

Times u need to sidestep it & other times u need to take it.Both are part of game.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
So what will the Providence lineup look like?

Toporowski/Farinaci/Lysell
Kuntar/Merkulov/McLaughlin
Richard/Megna/Steen
Harrison/Hall/Brazeau

Other possible: Boqvist, Greer, Brown, Beecher

Lohrei-Regula
Wotherspoon-Mast
Renouf-Walsh
Brunet

Other possible: Zboril

Bussi
Keyser

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020

Richard/Megna/Steen
Harrison/Hall/Brazeau

Lohrei-Regula
Wotherspoon-Mast
Renouf-Walsh
Brunet

Bussi
Keyser

Richard/Megna/Steen
Harrison/Hall/Brazeau

Lohrei-Regula
Wotherspoon-Mast
Renouf-Walsh
Brunet

Bussi
Keyser
The plot thickens…Boqvist, Steen and Zboril cleared waivers and Brown and Greer on waivers today and could be headed to Providence soon.

Richard. Merkulov. Lysell
Greer. Boqvist. McLaughlin.
Kuntar. Megna. Steen
Toporowski. Brown. Brazeau
Harrison. Farinacci. Hall
Abate. Lambert. Arseneau

Lohrei. Walsh
Callahan. Regula
Zboril. Renouf
Wotherspoon. Mast
Brunet

Bussi
Keyser

What’s most concerning is having so many older veterans likely taking critical minutes from the likes of Lysell and Harrison who need the development. And both need PP minutes to showcase their offensive abilities. While Providence will no doubt be a great team, I’m not sure this roster plays into developing prospects.
Great to see Lauko and Beecher make opening day!

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The plot thickens…Boqvist, Steen and Zboril cleared waivers and Brown and Greer on waivers today and could be headed to Providence soon.

Kuntar. Megna. Steen
Abate. Lambert. Arseneau

Lohrei. Walsh
Callahan. Regula
Zboril. Renouf
Wotherspoon. Mast
Brunet

Bussi
Keyser

What’s most concerning is having so many older veterans likely taking critical minutes from the likes of Lysell and Harrison who need the development. And both need PP minutes to showcase their offensive abilities. While Providence will no doubt be a great team, I’m not sure this roster plays into developing prospects.
Way too many vets, as always in Providence. Hopefully we can loan some out or someone gets claimed on waivers today.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Kuntar. Megna. Steen
Abate. Lambert. Arseneau

Lohrei. Walsh
Callahan. Regula
Zboril. Renouf
Wotherspoon. Mast
Brunet

Bussi
Keyser

If Brown and Greer clear, I expect they will stay with the B's and form a practice line with Heinen.

I strongly doubt that the organization will allow veterans to take time from young prospects like Lysell, Merkulov, McLaughlin and Harrison. The AHL exists for development, not just winning. It's the career AHLer's like Megna, that are probably in trouble.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Is Providence about to seriously contend for the Calder Cup this year? Pretty solid amount of fringe NHL talent on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad