Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlotLineFan

Jan 10, 2023
Another question that I have always wondered about: How much involvement does Boston's management and coaches have with Providence's management and coaches? Does Boston's management dictate who the players are that Providence plays? For example, does Sweeney tell Providence's coaches, "Hey, we want an extended look at Lysell for example, have him play more minutes." Does Montgomery have a say in how they are teaching puck retreveal? Did the teaching change when Montgomery replaced Cassidy?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Another question that I have always wondered about: How much involvement does Boston's management and coaches have with Providence's management and coaches? Does Boston's management dictate who the players are that Providence plays? For example, does Sweeney tell Providence's coaches, "Hey, we want an extended look at Lysell for example, have him play more minutes." Does Montgomery have a say in how they are teaching puck retreveal? Did the teaching change when Montgomery replaced Cassidy?
everything Providence does is set forth in the PDC as it is with most affiliations at the AHL/ECHL levels, whether it's philosophy, etc... the only difference is Boston has no "official" ownership of the franchise as you see other franchises have on the development angle..... it is very limited at the ECHL Level where Boston doesn't own the affiliate here... it is strictly affiliation based, but coach Wallin basically follows the philosophy that Monty/Mougenel have in place, and typically, Sweeney has no influence as the GM.... IT WAS different when Sweeney was running Providence as the AGM...

Usually, it's an AGM working with the President of Hockey Operations, like what Maine had under the Rangers affiliation when Briere/Drury along w/ the coach, who doubled as the GM Before Briere was reassigned back to Philadelphia, who actually owns the ECHL Franchise

Reactions: MerlotLineFan

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
For those that have been watching, what are the thoughts on Jack Ahcan? One thing I always like to do is compare a current prospects stats to a former and believe it or not Ahcan has produced at a .50 clip for some time in Prov, which is close if not better than Gryz’s time in Prov.

It’s clearly stat watching and doesn’t take much else into consideration but I’m curious to see what others think

Reactions: Kegs

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
For those that have been watching, what are the thoughts on Jack Ahcan? One thing I always like to do is compare a current prospects stats to a former and believe it or not Ahcan has produced at a .50 clip for some time in Prov, which is close if not better than Gryz’s time in Prov.

It’s clearly stat watching and doesn’t take much else into consideration but I’m curious to see what others think
Jack Ahcan is Providence's best defenseman
I feel he's ready,will it be here?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Sweeney is in Providence quite a bit as is Evan Gold
The lineup is mostly up to Mougenel with the occasional input from Boston such as rehab assignments and potential trade targets
Montgomery has zero say right now, that's probably going to change over the next few years
I've said this before, the Forwards are talented enough to play which ever way,it's the D that's very limited and it's a talent issue not coaching
My opinion

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Lysell looked like his pre-WJC self this weekend. Two points in two games and he was involved in several other good chances. He also drew 3 penalties tonight (including one where he sparked a scrum after the whistle that led to a PP) that translated, in part, to 2 PP goals. He still needs to clean up the turnovers but encouraging to see him find his game again.

Merkulov has upped his game as well since Lettieri got hurt. Probably not a coincidence that he is shooting more which is a good thing.

Shame Beecher got hurt last night. I didn't see an obvious injury but he had a very strong game before exiting. Hopefully he is back soon.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Nicely done.

What's the read on Georgie and Fabian? The vague sense here is that Lysell didn't impress @ WJC and his stock has dipped. Mason?

Bummed that Marc McLaughlin wasn't up for long. I can check the stats; how has he performed in PO?

Any info or insight appreciated,

:cool:
Merkulov is developing really nicely, IMO. He's been one of the better forwards in each of the half dozen games I've been to.

Lysell has missed some time since the WJC, but he's been very good when in the lineup. WJC seems the negative outlier in his resume.

Mason? If you mean Mason Lohrei, he's still at Ohio State. If you mean Mason Langenbrunner, he's still at Harvard.

McLaughlin has been good enough that he absolutely deserved the Boston call-up. Not especially fancy or flashy, but I think he's a really damned good hockey player who can be a bottom six NHL player right now. Side note - he seems like a phenomenal kid from his interviews and my sole interaction with him at Meet the Players night a couple of weeks ago. I'm rooting hard for him. He and Ahcan are my binkies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Nicely done.

What's the read on Georgie and Fabian? The vague sense here is that Lysell didn't impress @ WJC and his stock has dipped. Mason?

Bummed that Marc McLaughlin wasn't up for long. I can check the stats; how has he performed in PO?

It’s the usual suspects who think his stock has dropped after a poor WJC. Same people who think he’ll be worth three 1sts if he scores a hat trick in his first NHL game.

Reactions: Kegs

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Has Merkulov been playing Center in providence? Are him, Lysell, Beecher and Mchlaughlin looking like possibilities for the Bruins next year?

If both Bergeron and Krejci retire and we don’t have the cap to add a Center. I wonder if we will see something like.

Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
Hall-Zacha-Pastrnak
Frederic-Merkulov-Lysell
Foligno-Beecher-Mchlaughlin
Lauko/Grier

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Nicely done.

My read on Lysell is he's the 2nd best prospect in the organization and Merkulov is 3rd, both have had their ups and downs but are currently playing good hockey
Lysell is playing RW, Merkulov Center
Merkulov does most of his damage on the PP
Both have cannons and are dangerous anywhere in the O zone
Defensively both have shown good growth and understanding of their responsibilities, its not perfect as mistakes still happen

Lorhei who is my #1 prospect is still doing his thing at Ohio State and will turn pro about 7 minutes after his season ends, probably late March early April

McLaughlin has been playing well the majority of the year so far ,points wise slightly disappointing, he's just under .5 per game but has 9 points in the last 10 games, smart player that's trusted in all phases

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My read on Lysell is he's the 2nd best prospect in the organization and Merkulov is 3rd, both have had their ups
Lysell is playing RW, Merkulov Center
Merkulov does most of his damage on the PP
Defensively both have shown good growth and understanding of their responsibilities, its not perfect as mistakes s
Lorhei who is my #1 prospect is still doing his thing at Ohio State and will turn pro about 7 minutes after his season ends, probably late March early April

McLaughlin has been playing well the majority of the year so far ,points wise slightly disappointing, he's just under .5 per game but has 9 points in the last 10 games, smart player that's trusted in all phases

Is this opinion or is it a known fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad