Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlotLineFan

Jan 10, 2023
Question for those of you who can actually see them play:

We seem to only have four prospects on the defense as the others are old enough that if they were NHL players, they would already be up with the big club, so what are the chances that Callahan, Wissman, Greenway or Berglund actually make it to Boston? Are any of them good enough to crack the top pairing in a few years?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

We seem to only have four prospects on the defense as the others are old enough that if they were NHL players, they would already be up with the big club, so what are the chances that Callahan, Wissman, Greenway or Berglund actually make it to Boston? Are any of them good enough to crack the top pairing in a few years?
Berglund? Zero. He's playing in Finland now.

Greenway. Zero point zero. There is less than nothing there.

Callahan. He appears to be a decent AHL player. Not much upside. Needs to make a leap if he's to make the NHL, and time's against him.

Wissman. You really don't want your 26 year old signees to be inconsistent. But, guys like him and Froden are good rolls of the dice. They don't cost you much and you can always rotate on to another Euro professional next year. Wissman's the only one you've listed with a realistic chance, imo.

Reactions: MerlotLineFan

MerlotLineFan

Jan 10, 2023
Berglund? Zero. He's playing in Finland now.

Greenway. Zero point zero. There is less than nothing there.

Callahan. He appears to be a decent AHL player. Not much upside. Needs to make a leap if he's to make the NHL, and time's against him.

Wissman. You really don't want your 26 year old signees to be inconsistent. But, guys like him and Froden are good rolls of the dice. They don't cost you much and you can always rotate on to another Euro professional next year. Wissman's the only one you've listed with a realistic chance, imo.
Thank you for the information BlackFrancis. I appreciate it. I saw in the trade thread that someone said we had two stud D-Men as prospects and when I looked I didn't really see anything in Providence that fit that bill.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Greenway plays wing now
I like Callahan, if he continues to develop could be a cheap 7th Dman option but he's no stud
Wissman had a string of games where he looked the part but has tailed off since
Big test for both will be the AHL playoffs
Ahcan is their best defenseman

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Greenway plays wing now
I like Callahan, if he continues to develop could be a cheap 7th Dman option but he's no stud
How has Greenway development at wing looked thus far?

Any hope he can 4th line wing(strictly n-s wing) at the next level?

Looks like has outstanding size and athleticism

MerlotLineFan

Jan 10, 2023
Greenway plays wing now
Thank you for the info Saxon Eric. Do you feel Ahcan can make it in the NHL? D-men at his size in the NHL is pretty rare.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Thank you for the info Saxon Eric. Do you feel Ahcan can make it in the NHL? D-men at his size in the NHL is pretty rare.
Realizing you asked Eric, I'm offering this:

That's presently true about the size discrimination. It's trending the other way at most levels. Size is less critical than speed, puck handling, takeaways and passing at all the lower levels of hockey, so it makes sense eventually that'll be the case in the NHL (see Cale Makar). Will Ahcan still be playing pro hockey if that trend takes five more years to get to the NHL full scale?

I love the kid and think he should be the first D call up during the regular season. He's earned a shot at NHL minutes, but the roster is pretty hard to crack.

And, you know, too short.

MerlotLineFan

Jan 10, 2023
Realizing you asked Eric, I'm offering this:

That's presently true about the size discrimination. It's trending the other way at most levels. Size is less critical than speed, puck handling, takeaways and passing at all the lower levels of hockey, so it makes sense eventually that'll be the case in the NHL (see Cale Makar). Will Ahcan still be playing pro hockey if that trend takes five more years to get to the NHL full scale?

I love the kid and think he should be the first D call up during the regular season. He's earned a shot at NHL minutes, but the roster is pretty hard to crack.

And, you know, too short.
Thanks for the reply SeaBass. I have no problem with his height, as I think reach would be far more important for d-men. As long as Ahcan can reach around or is fast enough to get around a forward or center that has significant size on him, I don't see an issue.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Also want to say I like both @Saxon Eric and @BlackFrancis takes on the D prospects. I'm with Eric in thinking Callahan has more upside than BF thinks he does, but also agree with BF that time's against him, especially with the current organizational depth.

Hadn't really thought about Wissman as a prospect, but definitely see there's usually a role in many organizations for sizable D who aren't complete pylons.

Finally, I think it's hard to read much into this year's D, because it's a total mess. I don't know whether it's the system, the personnel, the wrong personnel for the system...but Ahcan stays the course while many of the rest fall apart.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Ahcan can play in the NHL, he can run the PP but would have to be sheltered a bit 5 v5,depending on match-up's
That said the kid competes
His slap shot would be a nice addition. But I don’t love how he looks along the boards at the nhl level. But I haven’t seen much of him to be fair.

Reactions: MerlotLineFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad