Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Hall is still listed under Boston on Capfriendly -- and McIsaac is still listed under Detroit. Since it was an AHL trade and not a NHL one, I believe the NHL teams keep the rights to the players they traded. Nonetheless, Hall is a RFA at the end of the season and it seems unlikely Boston would bother bringing him back unless he shows out in Grand Rapids (though he probably wouldn't want to even come back in that case). I could be wrong so feel free to to correct me.

While in theory it was a trade, officially they were loans and reassignments as far as the NHL is concerned. Hall was loaned to Grand Rapids while McIsaac was assigned to Providence.

Boston keeps the rights to Hall, Detroit keeps the rights to McIsaac.

As a baseball fan first - I love prospect talk. Not to badger but who has a higher ceiling to you - Jellvik or Harrison ..or any other left winger

Based on the current season: Jellvik.

Based on if a player reaches their potential: Harrison.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Sure. I just know Eric has said he's more effective at C than W. And it seems like they've been developing him as a C.
It seems odd to me. The Bruins are making more effort to go with bigger centers. This kid has stayed at Center in the AHL where Eric and others have posted that Center is his best position. I really thought he was going to be traded at the trade deadline and now I am just not sure. Wing seems like his best path here, but the longer he stays at center the more I expect to see him make it somewhere else.

I don't know how this plays into anything, but I do think it has been good for Lysell to play with a highly skilled center and I do not see a better option in the system then Merkulov at this time.

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It seems odd to me. The Bruins are making more effort to go with bigger centers. This kid has stayed at Center in the AHL where Eric and others have posted that Center is his best position. I really thought he was going to be traded at the trade deadline and now I am just not sure. Wing seems like his best path here, but the longer he stays at center the more I expect to see him make it somewhere else.

I don't know how this plays into anything, but I do think it has been good for Lysell to play with a highly skilled center and I do not see a better option in the system then Merkulov at this time.

Ultimately guy like this have little trade value, maybe they could move him at the draft for a 3rd round pick, but basically he is a throw in , add on in a package deal.

Right now I think he is competing with Poitras for a spot next fall, so there is a chance. I've said it before it would be much easier if he was more effective at wing, but he hasn't been.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Merkulov leading the team in points for 2 consecutive seasons and has 24+ goals in each
Seems like an awesome player. I really want to see him make it in Boston. You would think this was the year he would get his best shot given the openings. I really want this kid to have a chance here, but it seems like the brass and Montgomery prefer bigger centers. Do you think Merkulov is likely to play a significant amount in Boston next year and if so, does he have the versatility to move around the lineup or do you think his opportunity is primarily on a top 6 line?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Seems like an awesome player. I really want to see him make it in Boston. You would think this was the year he would get his best shot given the openings. I really want this kid to have a chance here, but it seems like the brass and Montgomery prefer bigger centers. Do you think Merkulov is likely to play a significant amount in Boston next year and if so, does he have the versatility to move around the lineup or do you think his opportunity is primarily on a top 6 line?
Hate to be a downer here but I see Merkulov traded by Thanksgiving
The issue is similar to the Marchand/Sobotka situation years ago, both talented, undersized players that realistically can only keep one
I think they stick with Lysell, of course they could move on from both,that's possible
I just can't see them keeping both

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Hey dudes, I was just watching old Hockey Night in Canada montages and came about this one.
I'm not sure if you guys ever saw this feed since it was from CBC in Canada, but this was shown right before game 5.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Hate to be a downer here but I see Merkulov traded by Thanksgiving
The issue is similar to the Marchand/Sobotka situation years ago, both talented, undersized players that realistically can only keep one
I think they stick with Lysell, of course they could move on from both,that's possible
I just can't see them keeping both
Thank you for the response. I fear that you are right but continue to hope we see Merkulov develop here.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad