Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How many current, quality american NHL players, failed to make the world junior team after their draft year?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
How many current, quality american NHL players, failed to make the world junior team after their draft year?
Without looking too hard, John Carlson wasn't on the World Junior roster in his post-draft season. I assume your point is about Johnson not making the junior team, after all, so I would point out that both Johnson and Carlson were late first round picks, defensemen and drafted out of the USHL. Now, I wouldn't say that they're necessarily comparable as prospects, or that Johnson will turn into Carlson (he won't. Even if he works out, they aren't the same type of player). But, simply not being on the World Junior team in one's post-draft year isn't some sort of kiss of death.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Kaliyev would be a Sabres HFboards fan wet dream “He is so slow, he doesn’t do anything but tap in the odd PP goal. Why is he in the lineup and why did the Sabres waste a 1st round pick on him!!!!”
If by scoring the odd goal you mean scoring a goal every other game you are correct.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
We also had gotten cozens already, so I wouldnt have minded a little bit of a risker pick. It also wasnt like it was Kaliyev or Johnson. Guys like Lavoie, Brink, Hoglander and others had fans' interest.
Firstov, Kaliyev and Brink would have been nice. I'm fine with Johnson but he has a lot of expectations to live up to.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Perhaps Samuelsson in the end will be a good choice, he has leadership and size, but I really liked Romanov’s game and his passion, it’s a pity that Botterill so far does not pay attention to Russian players at all.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
We also had gotten cozens already, so I wouldnt have minded a little bit of a risker pick. It also wasnt like it was Kaliyev or Johnson. Guys like Lavoie, Brink, Hoglander and others had fans' interest.

i had Hoglander ranked somewhere around 13th overall... passing on him at 31 will haunt us (and many other franchises).

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
For whatever reason they refuse to use a late 1st or a 2nd round pick on a highly skilled forward. It is always safe dman or safe forward.

Reactions: Fearnot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
For whatever reason they refuse to use a late 1st or a 2nd round pick on a highly skilled forward. It is always safe dman or safe forward.
Which is how you end up just about the worst most unsuccessful organization in the modern history of the sport. How many times do teams need to see "safe" picks blow up in their faces like a hand grenade before they learn their lesson?

Reactions: ek93

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
i had Hoglander ranked somewhere around 13th overall... passing on him at 31 will haunt us (and many other franchises).
A lot of really good Swedish players went way later than I thought they would. Fagemo was a mid 20s pick for me. I also thought both Holmstrom and Bjornfoot would be in the lottery mix, but neither went that high. They did have some players go early. I thought it was weird there weren't more.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The last 'skilled forward' they passed on is literally mentally deficient and had almost the entire league stapling him to the 'DO NOT DRAFT' board.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
A lot of really good Swedish players went way later than I thought they would. Fagemo was a mid 20s pick for me. I also thought both Holmstrom and Bjornfoot would be in the lottery mix, but neither went that high. They did have some players go early. I thought it was weird there weren't more.

Agreed.

The trifecta of Davidsson, Samuelsson, Johnson with picks in the low 30s is an infuriating use of draft capital. Even if none of the numerous skill players I liked in those spots turn out (Robertson, Ylonen, Hoglander as examples), it's still frustrating that they's showed no interest in skill forwards. You're never gonna land a Sebastian Aho or Brayden Point if you don' take those types of chances. Instead we draft another Jake McCabe.... yippee can't wait to enjoy 10 years of that (which is the best case scenario with someone like Samuelsson).

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
watch quick a bit of Hoglander, i too was bummed we did not grab him he's the exact type of winger we need. guy is a skilled puck HOUND . Vancouver got a nice haul Podkolzin and Hoglander. those are two high motor, high skilled guys.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Dawson Mercer was already 13th on my 2020 board... with the trade to Chic, and a likely line pairing with Lapierre, get ready of Mercer to rocket up everyone's draft board. Goals galore coming...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Dawson Mercer was already 13th on my 2020 board... with the trade to Chic, and a likely line pairing with Lapierre, get ready of Mercer to rocket up everyone's draft board. Goals galore coming...

Whoa... they got Lavoie too...

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I like Hendrix a lot as a prospect. He had a great showing at the Hlinka, I see him in our range. Hindered a bit by injuries, but he generates offense.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With the U20's over, it's time to start combing the European leagues for potential UDFA's. Joona Ikonen caught my eye a couple of times watching Ilves and while small, he's quick and adept at getting into tight areas to score. I would imagine the Sabres should have a quality book on him with Routsalainen and Laaksonen there

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I like Hendrix a lot as a prospect. He had a great showing at the Hlinka, I see him in our range. Hindered a bit by injuries, but he generates offense.

Those injuries have been concussions which is concerning. I know Craig Button loves the kid but that many concussions in a short time frame is a red flag.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Those injuries have been concussions which is concerning. I know Craig Button loves the kid but that many concussions in a short time frame is a red flag.
True

Honestly, growing up in Canada listening to the TSN coverage and Craig Buttons takes on a lot of guys.. I just kind of tune him out tbh. He seems to have a man crush on a guy(s) and they seem to fizzle out more often than not. But that's just me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad