General COVID-19 talk, NHL remains suspended MOD Warning post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Last thread reached 40 pages and it looked like it was it was getting out of hand. A reminder for the rules of the thread and general Covid-19 talk

This forum is not limited to hockey-related talk.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Be careful what you link to, treat it like the trade forum we don't want to spread bad information.

How you're preparing, how this is affecting your community, news and information are the types of discussion this forum is for.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's honestly scary injecting disinfectants is getting compared to chemotherapy.

I don't know what's worse: Trump genuinely asking if it's a viable treatment or him saying today he was being sarcastic.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Gonna be weird if LA county ends up surrounded by counties opening back up for business.
It could happen. First all eyes will be on Georgia and Texas, and probably more from California on Texas. Texas seems to be going with a more phased-in approach, which California will favor. I hope people get outside this weekend to the hiking trails, beaches, etc. No reason not to get out there if you are healthy.

Gonna be weird if LA county ends up surrounded by counties opening back up for business.

I'm legitimately interested in the outcome of this. There are lots of dynamics to digest. It's a science experiment, a social experiment and a test of political will/power. I'm in favor of people making their own choices but my concern is a situation like Italy where the Healthcare system is overrun. In that situation you can have someone who heeded the warnings and has a medical emergency but can't get adequate treatment. I don't want my parents to die because they stayed home in isolation and have a moderate medical condition flare up turn into death because we "opened up" while young healthy people spread the virus unknowingly and inundating our Healthcare system in the process. That's my concern.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm legitimately interested in the outcome of this. There are lots of dynamics to digest. It's a science experiment, a social experiment and a test of political will/power. I'm in favor of people making their own choices but my concern is a situation like Italy where the Healthcare system is overrun. In that situation you can have someone who heeded the warnings and has a medical emergency but can't get adequate treatment. I don't want my parents to die because they stayed home in isolation and have a moderate medical condition flare up turn into death because we "opened up" while young healthy people spread the virus unknowingly and inundating our Healthcare system in the process. That's my concern.
I hope your dad comes out of this with no problems.

c8dca015d29222198f6ccba4480f59b3.jpg

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It could happen. First all eyes will be on Georgia and Texas, and probably more from California on Texas. Texas seems to be going with a more phased-in approach, which California will favor. I hope people get outside this weekend to the hiking trails, beaches, etc. No reason not to get out there if you are healthy.

It will definitely start up earlier in OC. Our testing per day here has slowly risen, and the number of new cases is slowly dropping. Right now there's only 63 people in an intensive care unit with COVID. It's not like total lockdown here either, there are people out, but they are being responsible. Seeing someone maskless here in Tustin/Irvine is the exception, almost everyone has them on.

It helps that we don't have a ton of high capacity apartments around here, sans down by UCI. Mostly everything is single family or condo living where you have a good amount of space.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
It's honestly scary injecting disinfectants is getting compared to chemotherapy.

I don't know what's worse: Trump genuinely asking if it's a viable treatment or him saying today he was being sarcastic.
Honestly what's worse is misrepresentation of the facts.To understand Trump’s remarks, it’s important to first understand the full context of what was said at the press briefing.

" FACT CHECK: No, Trump Did Not Tell People To ‘Inject Themselves With Disinfectant’ Or ‘Drink Bleach’

Last edited:
Reactions: RocketKing

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Honestly what's worse is misrepresentation of the facts.To understand Trump’s remarks, it’s important to first understand the full context of what was said at the press briefing.

" FACT CHECK: No, Trump Did Not Tell People To ‘Inject Themselves With Disinfectant’ Or ‘Drink Bleach’

I understood Trump's remarks. I have the context. He asked his staff to look into the viability of the treatment, then when called on it, said the next day he was being sarcastic.

You can minimize his moronic query all you want. But I did not misrepresent the facts. And his ignorance of the topic does not need any further understanding.

Reactions: Bandit and jfont

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
And, as it turns out, chemical disinfectants (injected) are already being tried -- its called intravenous hydrogen peroxide therapy. The old saying -- the only stupid question is the one not asked -- still applies.

• Oliver TH, CantabBC, Murphy DV, Influenzal pneumonia: the intravenous injection of hydrogen peroxide. Lancet 1920;1:432-433.
  • Root RK, Metcalf J, Oshino N, et al. H2O2 release from human granulocytes during Homophobic Slurocytosis. J Clin Invest 1975;55:945-955.
  • Finney JW, Jay BE, Race GJ, et al. Removal of cholesterol and other lipids from experimental animals and human atheromatous arteries by dilute hydrogen peroxide. Angiology 1966;17:223-228.
  • Urschel HC, Finney JW, MoraleAR, et al. Cardiac resuscitation with hydrogen peroxide. Circ 1965;31 (suppl II);II-210.
  • Urschel HC, Finney JW, BallaGA, et al. Protection of the ischemic heart with DMSO alone or with hydrogen peroxide. Ann NY Adad. Sci. 1967; 151:231-241.
  • Gorren AC, Dekker H, Wever R Kinetic investigations of the reaction of cytochrome C oxidase by hydrogen peroxide. Biochem Biophys Acta 1986; 852(1):81-92.
  • Nathan CF, Cohn ZA Antitumor effects of hydrogen peroxide in vivo. J Exp Med 1981;154:1539-1553.
  • Manakata T, Semba U, Shibuya Y, et al. Induction of interferon-gamma production by human natural killer cells stimulated by hydrogen peroxide. J Immunol 1985;134(4):2449-2455.
  • Lebedev LV, Levin AO, Romankova MP, et al. Regional oxygenation in the treatment of severe destructive forms of obliterating diseases of the extremity arteries. Vestn Khir 1984;132:85-88.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017

From what I can tell Trump was immediately responding back to Bill Bryan, Under Secretary for Science and Technology at DHS, who had just talked about how they are testing things in saliva that kill the virus.

We’ve tested bleach, we’ve tested isopropyl alcohol on the virus, specifically in saliva or in respiratory fluids, and I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes,” Bryan said. “Isopropyl alcohol will kill the virus in 30 seconds, and that’s with no manipulation, no rubbing. Just bring it on and leaving it go. You rub it and it goes away even faster.”

Bryan added, “We’re also looking at other disinfectants, specifically looking at the COVID-19 virus in saliva.”

Trumps comments were definitely not well chosen (LOL for sure), but I thought everyone wants him to listen to his Science Advisors. Which he appears to be doing in this exchange? Maybe context matters to some more than others.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
From what I can tell Trump was immediately responding back to Bill Bryan, Under Secretary for Science and Technology at DHS, who had just talked about how they are testing things in saliva that kill the virus.

We’ve tested bleach, we’ve tested isopropyl alcohol on the virus, specifically in saliva or in respiratory fluids, and I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes,” Bryan said. “Isopropyl alcohol will kill the virus in 30 seconds, and that’s with no manipulation, no rubbing. Just bring it on and leaving it go. You rub it and it goes away even faster.”

Bryan added, “We’re also looking at other disinfectants, specifically looking at the COVID-19 virus in saliva.”

Trumps comments were definitely not well chosen (LOL for sure), but I thought everyone wants him to listen to his Science Advisors. Which he appears to be doing in this exchange? Maybe context matters to some more than others.
Logic with zealots is usually a waste of time. In their minds Trump told people to poor drano down their throats. Nothing will change that. Cue the moving goalposts avalanche...

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

So now he wasn’t being sarcastic?

Reactions: BigBrown

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
For additional info, I will highlight the years of these articles. Since pedantry, proper language usage, and accuracy is so important, these aren't being tried. They were tried. Last century.

And, as it turns out, chemical disinfectants (injected) are already being tried -- its called intravenous hydrogen peroxide therapy. The old saying -- the only stupid question is the one not asked -- still applies.

• Oliver TH, CantabBC, Murphy DV, Influenzal pneumonia: the intravenous injection of hydrogen peroxide. Lancet 1920;1:432-433.
  • Root RK, Metcalf J, Oshino N, et al. H2O2 release from human granulocytes during Homophobic Slurocytosis. J Clin Invest 1975;55:945-955.
  • Finney JW, Jay BE, Race GJ, et al. Removal of cholesterol and other lipids from experimental animals and human atheromatous arteries by dilute hydrogen peroxide. Angiology 1966;17:223-228.
  • Urschel HC, Finney JW, MoraleAR, et al. Cardiac resuscitation with hydrogen peroxide. Circ 1965;31 (suppl II);II-210.
  • Urschel HC, Finney JW, BallaGA, et al. Protection of the ischemic heart with DMSO alone or with hydrogen peroxide. Ann NY Adad. Sci. 1967; 151:231-241.
  • Gorren AC, Dekker H, Wever R Kinetic investigations of the reaction of cytochrome C oxidase by hydrogen peroxide. Biochem Biophys Acta 1986; 852(1):81-92.
  • Nathan CF, Cohn ZA Antitumor effects of hydrogen peroxide in vivo. J Exp Med 1981;154:1539-1553.
  • Manakata T, Semba U, Shibuya Y, et al. Induction of interferon-gamma production by human natural killer cells stimulated by hydrogen peroxide. J Immunol 1985;134(4):2449-2455.
  • Lebedev LV, Levin AO, Romankova MP, et al. Regional oxygenation in the treatment of severe destructive forms of obliterating diseases of the extremity arteries. Vestn Khir 1984;132:85-88.

So okay. It's not a dumb question in the same vein of the president asking questions like:
"Was Hitler a bad guy?"
"Is it possible to put an aircraft in outer space and have people walk on the moon?"
"What is this Nintendo everyone is talking about?"

People have looked into it. He's just behind on what everyone else already knows.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
For additional info, I will highlight the years of these articles. Since pedantry, proper language usage, and accuracy is so important, these aren't being tried. They were tried. Last century.

So okay. It's not a dumb question in the same vein of the president asking questions like:
"Was Hitler a bad guy?"
"Is it possible to put an aircraft in outer space and have people walk on the moon?"
"What is this Nintendo everyone is talking about?"

People have looked into it. He's just behind on what everyone else already knows.

He is? Really. Maybe you should check out the CDC's own website:
Ortho-phthalaldehyde (OPA)

Overview.

Ortho-phthalaldehyde is a high-level disinfectant that received FDA clearance in October 1999. It contains 0.55% 1,2-benzenedicarboxaldehyde (OPA). OPA solution is a clear, pale-blue liquid with a pH of 7.5. (Tables 4 and 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad