Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"...so I hardly think that is a legitimate excuse for not being proactive."
Agreed.

However, when your expert (Fauci) is telling people on Feb 29 "Right now at this moment, there is no need to change anything that you're doing on a day-by-day basis..." and as late as March 9 that cruises were ok -- how do you get any more proactive?

In that case I'm reading 'proactive' as not so much in stay at home measures and such, but that having the experts, infrastructure (pandemic task force, etc.), and tools available. None of the above were, mostly due to dissolution over the last couple of years, despite warnings around the world and from our own intelligence community. You can hope for the best and plan for the worst, but hope on it's own isn't much of a plan--and unfortunately that's all we had with federal leadership.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
That's kind of my point. It shouldn't be a partisan thing. Ludicrous assumptions are ludicrous assumptions. I thought at the end of the last thread we were pretty close to just agreeing to disagree--that both federal leadership and the media are botching their roles to various degrees, and that attacking one another's personal belief systems isn't productive. And we need to walk away from that wreckage now and bring it back full circus to the virus.
It especially shouldn’t be partisan since the guy isn’t even actually a republican. Anyhow, to lighten the mood, here’s some proof that time travel is real:

Reactions: ricardfromage

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I mean, I posted the quote video, the transcript, and the context at the end of the last thread.

It's pretty clear it's a misunderstanding and a poor choice of words and the context is in fact brought in by his science advisor.

But you have got to be f***ing joking me trying to convince anyone that Mr. "Windmill Cancer," "Stare at the Eclipse," "nuke the hurricane," and "Sweep the Forest" is trying to cite a scientific study from 1999 on the fly, lol get the f*** out of here. That's not even partisan political that's just blind childish horseshit and you're better than that.

Obviously the President is blind now. Right? Or, was he just trolling the press after using the glasses earlier?

"Sweep the Forest"? Trump was Right About “Raking” Finnish Forests

Windmills and cancer, likely not but they are still awful for the environment.

Nuke the hurricane, just read that right wing pub National Geograhic for all the bizarre ideas for stopping hurricanes. There is no harm in asking questions folks.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I mean, I posted the quote video, the transcript, and the context at the end of the last thread.

It's pretty clear it's a misunderstanding and a poor choice of words and the context is in fact brought in by his science advisor.

But you have got to be f***ing joking me trying to convince anyone that Mr. "Windmill Cancer," "Stare at the Eclipse," "nuke the hurricane," and "Sweep the Forest" is trying to cite a scientific study from 1999 on the fly, lol get the f*** out of here. That's not even partisan political that's just blind childish horseshit and you're better than that.

I can't even find a viable, respected study from 1999 (or anywhere) as far as disinfectant/H2O2 being injected to treat infections or illness.

I have found articles as using it as a treatment for cancer. But even then, it's looking like on par of essential oils treatment, only more dangerous.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Obviously the President is blind now. Right? Or, was he just trolling the press after using the glasses earlier?

"Sweep the Forest"? Trump was Right About “Raking” Finnish Forests

Windmills and cancer, likely not but they are still awful for the environment.

Nuke the hurricane, just read that right wing pub National Geograhic for all the bizarre ideas for stopping hurricanes. There is no harm in asking questions folks.

Okay, but that's not what he said. He literally said to rake the california 'forests' to stop wildfires, not to use heavy industrial machinery to proactively clean combustible material from forest floors, which is 75% of Finland. I'm not thinking LA is quite apples-to-apples in forestry.

Windmills cause cancer is a direct quote. Good luck going on defending that one.

Nuke the hurricane, cool, even if I grant you that one, we've known for 50 years that doesn't work--I can appreciate someone who doesn't know just questioning everything, but I also expect the leader of the free world to have a basic grasp on high school level science (and that's being generous) so as not to waste everyone's time. But ok, no harm in questioning.

The point is that words have meaning at face value too and if you have to spend 24 hours translating and researching things to make an explanation on someone's behalf then there's an issue.

There was a spike in people ingesting cleaning products in the country last night, (example, NYC Doubled in calls). Surprise, surprise. Now is that one part natural selection? Yes, like the AZ story. But there's a reason it's important to have a clear, direct message when you're addressing the nation.

Is he trolling the press because he can? Yeah, to some degree, probably. Is the press coverage a concern as well? Yes, absolutely. But both things can be true and this insane blind adherance to either isn't helpful.

There's a reason that states independently of the central government are finding success and if you watch any of their press conferences--even those you vociferously disagree with--you'll find clear direct actionable messages and plans. THAT should be the bar, not "yeah but if you read what his advisors said beforehand and research after the speech you'll find that maybe a study conducted 50 years ago jives with what he hurriedly passed off as a question and later deemed sarcasm."

I'll hold anyone to this bar, not just "orange man bad." And I don't feel like asking the most powerful office in the world to hold together speeches better than a secondary school student is unfair.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Okay, but that's not what he said. He literally said to rake the california 'forests' to stop wildfires, not to use heavy industrial machinery to proactively clean combustible material from forest floors, which is 75% of Finland. I'm not thinking LA is quite apples-to-apples in forestry.

Windmills cause cancer is a direct quote. Good luck going on defending that one.

Nuke the hurricane, cool, even if I grant you that one, we've known for 50 years that doesn't work--I can appreciate someone who doesn't know just questioning everything, but I also expect the leader of the free world to have a basic grasp on high school level science (and that's being generous) so as not to waste everyone's time. But ok, no harm in questioning.

The point is that words have meaning at face value too and if you have to spend 24 hours translating and researching things to make an explanation on someone's behalf then there's an issue.

There was a spike in people ingesting cleaning products in the country last night, (example, NYC Doubled in calls). Surprise, surprise. Now is that one part natural selection? Yes, like the AZ story. But there's a reason it's important to have a clear, direct message when you're addressing the nation.

Is he trolling the press because he can? Yeah, to some degree, probably. Is the press coverage a concern as well? Yes, absolutely. But both things can be true and this insane blind adherance to either isn't helpful.

There's a reason that states independently of the central government are finding success and if you watch any of their press conferences--even those you vociferously disagree with--you'll find clear direct actionable messages and plans. THAT should be the bar, not "yeah but if you read what his advisors said beforehand and research after the speech you'll find that maybe a study conducted 50 years ago jives with what he hurriedly passed off as a question and later deemed sarcasm."

I'll hold anyone to this bar, not just "orange man bad." And I don't feel like asking the most powerful office in the world to hold together speeches better than a secondary school student is unfair.

Maybe you're life will be easier if you stop obsessing about everything Trump says (or any politician for that matter) and just pay attention to what he does. When you see nukes ordered to be dropped in the the stormy ocean or windmill farms forcibly dismantled or doctors ordered to prescribe drano for viruses or the draft reinstated for recruits to rake forest floors then you can comfortably start to worry.

I understand a great way to chill out is to skip work indefinitely (that's for peasants anyway) and get one of those 24k freezers and fill it with gourmet ice cream. That would show real leadership. Cheers.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Maybe you're life will be easier if you stop obsessing about everything Trump says (or any politician for that matter) and just pay attention to what he does. When you see nukes ordered to be dropped in the the stormy ocean or windmill farms forcibly dismantled or doctors ordered to prescribe drano for viruses or the draft reinstated for recruits to rake forest floors then you can comfortably start to worry.

I understand a great way to chill out is to skip work indefinitely (that's for peasants anyway) and get one of those 24k freezers and fill it with gourmet ice cream. That would show real leadership. Cheers.
“Don’t pay attention until the bombs are falling” :thumbu: The amount of mental gymnastics you’ve been doing in here leaves little room for casting stones about obsessing.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
“Don’t pay attention until the bombs are falling” :thumbu: The amount of mental gymnastics you’ve been doing in here leaves little room for casting stones about obsessing.
I'm counting on you guys to keep your eyes peeled and post when you see the cloud...

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I'm counting on you guys to keep your eyes peeled and post when you see the cloud...
At this point, even if everyone saw the cloud and posted photos and videos you still wouldnt believe it. It would be some conspiracy that Trumps enemies are trying to oust him because hes putting an end to their prostitution scheme or something.
Listen though Im not trying to pick on you. I dont like the left or media either, and definitely dont like Trump.
I think it would be easier to digest if you just said “yea sometimes Trump can be a low life and a clown but I think at the end of the day he has my best interest.” There is no shame in that.
But dont defend this guy by saying what a lot of us see and hear didnt happen. Reality is not always what we want but we must face it.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
At this point, even if everyone saw the cloud and posted photos and videos you still wouldnt believe it. It would be some conspiracy that Trumps enemies are trying to oust him because hes putting an end to their prostitution scheme or something.
Listen though Im not trying to pick on you. I dont like the left or media either, and definitely dont like Trump.
I think it would be easier to digest if you just said “yea sometimes Trump can be a low life and a clown but I think at the end of the day he has my best interest.” There is no shame in that.
But dont defend this guy by saying what a lot of us see and hear didnt happen. Reality is not always what we want but we must face it.

Dude, I couldn't care less.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

...well, that actually brings us back to the problem, and square one. I'm worried about what he says, because he's not doing what he says, or frankly anything productive at all.

Federal leadership response sucks. All around, not just the president, he's just the lightning rod doing himself no favors. Thank goodness the states have it mostly together, because the legislative branch taking vacations at the worst possible time and the executive shitting his pants because journalists are asking mean questions are just so emblematic of how inefficient and borderline worthless they are.

It's not just the USA, a worldwide catastrophe has the byproduct of being able to see large inefficiencies and inequalities in any given society--but I can say I've personally overlooked how important state leadership can be and I wouldn't be surprised to see emphasized importance on that in the coming years.

Reactions: BringTheReign

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
...well, that actually brings us back to the problem, and square one. I'm worried about what he says, because he's not doing what he says, or frankly anything productive at all.

Federal leadership response sucks. All around, not just the president, he's just the lightning rod doing himself no favors. Thank goodness the states have it mostly together, because the legislative branch taking vacations at the worst possible time and the executive shitting his pants because journalists are asking mean questions are just so emblematic of how inefficient and borderline worthless they are.

It's not just the USA, a worldwide catastrophe has the byproduct of being able to see large inefficiencies and inequalities in any given society--but I can say I've personally overlooked how important state leadership can be and I wouldn't be surprised to see emphasized importance on that in the coming years.

Just what isn't he doing that he should be? New York has it together? All I hear Cuomo doing is read from his teleprompter and whine. Michigan has it together? Please. States and cities trampling rights for partisan reasons. Right.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just what isn't he doing that he should be? New York has it together? All I hear Cuomo doing is read from his teleprompter and whine. Michigan has it together? Please. States and cities trampling rights for partisan reasons. Right.

What IS he doing?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Maybe if Trump spent more time reading from his teleprompter and less time winging it he wouldn’t sound like such a complete dumbass. Prepared remarks exist for a reason.

I get why it attracts people though. They see a man holding the biggest position of power in the world standing before the camera sounding every bit as stupid as they would if they were given the chance. “Look Floyd, Cleetus is on the tee-vee again! Come quick and bring me a Natty Light!” It’s so overt, it’s covert.

Reactions: Maynard

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
What IS he doing?
All the mobilization with the governors, private company ceo's to manufacture ppe, taking questions from the idiot media. Working with the staff on economic relief programs. Not to mention dealing with China, Iran etc. What planet are you on?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
All the mobilization with the governors, private company ceo's to manufacture ppe, taking questions from the idiot media. Working with the staff on economic relief programs. Not to mention dealing with China, Iran etc. What planet are you on?

The guy told the states to take responsibility for themselves...that's mobilizing?

I read a lot about private companies working together on PPE, but haven't seen much lately. Theoretically he's the perfect guy for that. Now if only state orders could stop getting seized...

Questions from the idiot media...well that's apparently officially done as of today, mercifully for everyone.

Economic relief programs...like the ones where Ruth Criss took millions while all my small business friends get screwed, the no-0versight slush fund, and the checks for not even a full month's rent that are late, with nothing else on the horizon?

You said it yourself, actions speak louder than words, and the states are fending for themselves here. At least the big businesses got their relief immediately. The federal government has done very little, and that it has done has been late and sloppy at best.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
The guy told the states to take responsibility for themselves...that's mobilizing?

I read a lot about private companies working together on PPE, but haven't seen much lately. Theoretically he's the perfect guy for that. Now if only state orders could stop getting seized...

Questions from the idiot media...well that's apparently officially done as of today, mercifully for everyone.

Economic relief programs...like the ones where Ruth Criss took millions while all my small business friends get screwed, the no-0versight slush fund, and the checks for not even a full month's rent that are late, with nothing else on the horizon?

You said it yourself, actions speak louder than words, and the states are fending for themselves here. At least the big businesses got their relief immediately. The federal government has done very little, and that it has done has been late and sloppy at best.

You do know their is actually a Constitution don't you? Limiting federal powers? When Trump said he would determine the re-opening the states went bat shit crazy. Live with it. I'm sure your small business friends are quite happy that Pelosi made sure the Kennedy Center for the filthy rich got their funding.

Easy to see why you are so angry, too bad it is badly misplaced. Reminds me of a friend of mine living in the bay area sitting in the dark last fall -- rationalizing it was worth it because PG&E had a green energy program.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

...and if dear leader is asked ANY questions about this, he will lash out like a child and say it’s a “nasty question”. Or he’ll take his ball and go home and not answer any questions like a scared bitch. Aside from his ties to evangelicals, this is what bothers me most about him. Can’t take ANY heat, even legitimate questions shake him to the core and he throws a fit. Zero accountability for his statements, and his supporters will just keep washing his balls no matter what.

Reactions: Bandit

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You do know their is actually a Constitution don't you? Limiting federal powers? When Trump said he would determine the re-opening the states went bat shit crazy. Live with it. I'm sure your small business friends are quite happy that Pelosi made sure the Kennedy Center for the filthy rich got their funding.

Easy to see why you are so angry, too bad it is badly misplaced. Reminds me of a friend of mine living in the bay area sitting in the dark last fall -- rationalizing it was worth it because PG&E had a green energy program.

And screeeeeeeech go the goalposts again, with the only retort being yet another snide, yet ironic, remark about partisanship.

Moving on, cheers.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wish Trump would conduct himself more professionally sometimes, but I think a lot of the criticism levied at him over this is a bit silly and mostly partisan.

I think the president has 100 things that come across his desk everyday and just about all of them turn out to be nothing.

Any large scale Federal government action that has to be executed quickly is going to be rife with angles to criticize. To a large degree it's out of the president's control.

It wouldn't have mattered how Trump handled this, his political opponents and those who dislike him would have found a way to criticize him. That's just how politics works.

I suspect infection rates wouldn't be much different right now regardless of who the president is.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agreed, Alinsky would be so proud!

That did give me a good chuckle, thanks, haha

I wish Trump would conduct himself more professionally sometimes, but I think a lot of the criticism levied at him over this is a bit silly and mostly partisan.

I think the president has 100 things that come across his desk everyday and just about all of them turn out to be nothing.

Any large scale Federal government action that has to be executed quickly is going to be rife with angles to criticize. To a large degree it's out of the president's control.

It wouldn't have mattered how Trump handled this, his political opponents and those who dislike him would have found a way to criticize him. That's just how politics works.

I suspect infection rates wouldn't be much different right now regardless of who the president is.

Agree, much of this should be delegated. But, this is a self-inflicted wound caused by the dissolution/disorganization of key agencies and task forces and government officials. One of the president's jobs is to organize and delegate leadership, no?

In a perfect world, he'd just step aside and let those folks control the info flow with a well-organized plan. But look what happened, for example, with the disorganized CDC and test kit goofiness.

I disagree with the end because I think a more prepared cabinet would be on top of all the federal agencies to handle nationwide coordination of--especially going forward--testing and response. Right now, I'm not sure what the nation's plan is. And that's a problem. I'm just glad the states are trying to assemble the puzzle pieces.

I still think what happens next is super important. It doesn't seem like there's an international...anything even approaching consensus...on how to handle loosened restrictions. We need more antibody test kids and studies to show if people can get reinfected, what the plan is for outbreaks, how to handle treatment and hopefully eventually vaccination. Yes, one step at a time, but right now we have states that didn't even lock down in the first place whining to be 'liberated.' What's the national message/response going to be if we have a second wave?

I don't think federal criticism is unwarranted, even if some of it is over-the-top fanatical.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It might also just be that it's the weekend and we made a bunch of progress on learning about the virus last week but it's oddly quiet on that stuff today, hopefully we're getting more good news and progress on Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad