General Ball Hockey Thread

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I play goal but one thing my teammates do to get more grip on the floor is to put duct tape on the soles of your sneakers between games. Take it off just before going on the floor. The glue residue will give you lots of grip for those quick changes in direction but won't be too sticky where it becomes a problem.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Game at 9:30pm tonight. Currently snowing out and the wind is howling so hard. Really hoping it calms down sooner rather then later. For those who don't know I play outdoors.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I play goal but one thing my teammates do to get more grip on the floor is to put duct tape on the soles of your sneakers between games. Take it off just before going on the floor. The glue residue will give you lots of grip for those quick changes in direction but won't be too sticky where it becomes a problem.

Thats genius.

My buddy told me hair spray on the sole but I didnt want to ruin my new shoes.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Since deking is kinda hard in Dek/Ball hockey one of my favorite moves is to suddenly stop, cut to the middle, then take a shot or cut to the outside again pass or shoot then.

Anybody got any tips for deking in ball hockey? I have decent hands.

Consider this. Its a ball. Very easy to elevate.

I'm not talking about flipping it over guys heads but if you deke to your backhand like you are going outside, you can quickly flip it back inside in the air over a blade, between knees etc.

Things like that can be very effective.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Adhesives

Adhesives on shoes, duct tape, hair spray, etc. Playing ball hockey on a multi - purpose gym floor or synthetic ball hockey surface will get you and your team booted since the residue is costly to remove and dangerous to other participants or users.

Also a good way to damage your own knee or ankle.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Played our second game of the season last night. Weather was nice, warmer then the first game of the season. We played a team that seemed to be around the same skill level as us but probably better. Despite that we managed to win 3-2 in the shootout. Our goalie saved our skins a few times. We actually had a 2-1 lead going into the 3rd period but the ball managed to squeak through our goalie and in. It felt like I was playing with a completely different team.

Our goals came by us capitalizing on the few chances we had. We had good offensive pressure, our forward though just have problems getting anything going. A few of them have weak shots and had a hard time with the passing. Still a huge improvement over what we had last game. Our two goals came from about a foot from the goalie.

I played defense all game long. Armed with a new and longer stick I felt great out there. I boxed opposing players out of the slot. Tied up their sticks. Didn't allow them to get rebounds and managed to use my long reach to my advantage knocking the ball off sticks that would have been out of reach for most players. I was also a little physical in front of the net too. It was awesome. I was also apart of the last PK unit. With 2:18 left in the 3rd tied 2-2 one of my players took a penalty. My defensive partner and I stayed out for the whole PK and we straight up dominated their PP in our zone. They had nothing going for them.

I was the 5 shooter for my team in the shootout and my attempt was pretty bad. Tried to come in slow like Oshie. Two problems, I'm not Oshie and you can't glide with shoes on. Shootout went 12 rounds. We won in the end so I was happy. Hoping I can get a chance on forward and see if I can add a heavier shot to the forward group.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yes but keep in mind that you're taller than most people here. I bet you never had to cut a stick.

He's right though. In ice hockey I cut it just under my chin, but in ball hockey I have it up to my upper lip in shoes. And I've tried a lot of other lengths too. It helps a lot to stickhandle and I think it's because of the difference in posture when you're running and skating. Nobody runs while semi-crouching - that's essentially what you're doing in ice skating.

Exactly.. I don't think my height has anything to do with it. It's worth a shot if you're having the same problem no matter how tall you are. Everyone gets the same sort of body movement while running..

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Shoes with Vibram soles are the way to go for anyone in outdoor leagues. Trust me on this. I play four seasons outside. Merrell shoes have Vibram among others. It stays soft in bitter cold and grips well when wet. I watch plenty of guys wiping out in wet and frozen conditions. I've got half our team wearing them now.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Jun 26, 2013
I play goalie twice a week in a co-ed ball hockey league. It's not too competitive, but it is a lot of fun. One tip to tell your D - challenge the point shooters. Either be prepared to block the shots with your shins or get a stick on the ball. If the point shooters get a free look at the net, some of those guys can put a wicked curve on the ball. Also, have your D cheat a little towards the shooters' forehand. A lot of guys will sprint down the side, turn their back to the goal, then move towards the middle and snap a forehand. I try to tell my D to play the forehand. I can stop a backhand much easier.

I play a standup style, rather than b-fly. For the other ball hockey goalies, any tips on shoes that will protect the toes? I've taken a couple low stingers off the toes and man that hurts.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I play goalie twice a week in a co-ed ball hockey league. It's not too competitive, but it is a lot of fun. One tip to tell your D - challenge the point shooters. Either be prepared to block the shots with your shins or get a stick on the ball. If the point shooters get a free look at the net, some of those guys can put a wicked curve on the ball. Also, have your D cheat a little towards the shooters' forehand. A lot of guys will sprint down the side, turn their back to the goal, then move towards the middle and snap a forehand. I try to tell my D to play the forehand. I can stop a backhand much easier.

I play a standup style, rather than b-fly. For the other ball hockey goalies, any tips on shoes that will protect the toes? I've taken a couple low stingers off the toes and man that hurts.

From what I've gathered in the 3 games I've played, the point shooters are only dangerous if there are bodies in front of the net due to the chance of a tip in, deflection or rebound. I think the challenging the point shooter depends on the goalie. In talking with my goalie he would rather me not put my stick in the lane and just let the ball come at him. As a goalie myself I wasn't surprised with the answer. If you're at the top of your crease and a clean point shot comes at you, the ball needs to curve at the very last second in order to have a snowball's chance in hell at going into the net.

BobHo

Apr 23, 2012
Evaluations starting soon; I've used wood sticks for the past while....Just got a Bauer Nexus 400 on sale today, my first composite. Can't wait to see what it brings to the table!!

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
3rd game of the season coming up. Our team has a 1-1 record. Looking at the others team record I hope we have a chance. Our goalie will need to come up big. I hope I get the chance to do something at forward.

I'm also hoping that it doesn't snow before or during the game and that the floor isn't too slippery. Don't need anymore knee problems.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Had the 1st scrimmage last night.

I got there right on time (I normally go early, but I was busy). Not even able to take one shot and then we start. I started 1LW. Didn't do terrible considering I haven't really played Dek Hockey in 6 months, although it felt quite weird. The game was on a 60 minute running clock, so there wasn't really periods. I started playing some center and went 8 for 8 on FO's :)yo:). Although the one time I hit it to hard on my forehand in the right slot in my own zone. I was playing with 2 brothers. 1 is around 6'4 and the other is very small, but quick. I was top right in the slot and the 6'4 guy smacked off the opponents stick right to me, I clapped one bottom right to tie it up 3-3. Pretty uneventful after that, but we won 4-3.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Lost 3-1 in our game tonight. Improvement though because this was the team that killed us 11-0 in the preseason game. Our goalie pretty much kept us in it. I scored the only goal of the game for my team which was my first goal of the season. Game got really chippy in the end as their player ended up on our goalie. They are pretty much a 'B' team playing in a 'C' league and they competed and played physical like it was an NHL game. Wouldn't have been so bad if the refs weren't rookies and controlled the situation. I wear a knee brace on my left knee and the Velcro on it chewed up my right inner thigh.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I tape my stick length wise heel to toe, or I'll tape it normally and just take a razor blade to cut the tape off the bottom of my stick.

I don't tape my blade as the ball will be more slick and not so choppy on my blade.

One thing I like to do though is to tape the shaft of the stick like a candy cane; kinda like what Phil Kessel does.

phil-473x315.jpg

Last edited:

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
On the topic of stick tape, I do most of the shaft. Starting from over the butt end and then down a couple inches from the blade.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Does it help at all and if yes, how does it help?

I use a wood stick and I think it gives a nice grip.

What it helps me with

Grip (and grip knowledge)-It allows me to have a way (yyyy) better grip on the stick. I normally play LW or C (RH player), I am normally good with FO's, but the tape allows me to set up a good grip, especially on my backhand. It helps me know where my hands are and make quick adjustments when deking and running.

Puck Handling- It allows me to deke better with the added grip and awareness where my hands are (not that I don't know). It gives me an idea where to move the puck and where it is gonna go to when I shoot/dump it.

It looks cool too :laugh:.

I could go on though, anybody interested in a pic (just to show what it looks like)?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I use a wood stick and I think it gives a nice grip.

What it helps me with

Grip (and grip knowledge)-It allows me to have a way (yyyy) better grip on the stick. I normally play LW or C (RH player), I am normally good with FO's, but the tape allows me to set up a good grip, especially on my backhand. It helps me know where my hands are and make quick adjustments when deking and running.

Puck Handling- It allows me to deke better with the added grip and awareness where my hands are (not that I don't know). It gives me an idea where to move the puck and where it is gonna go to when I shoot/dump it.

It looks cool too :laugh:.

I could go on though, anybody interested in a pic (just to show what it looks like)?
If i'm picturing it correctly it seems like alot of tape. Send a pic

BobHo

Apr 23, 2012
So I'm currently working on my one-timer slapper technique, apparently my friend says that it's different from my regular standing slapshot technique. He says it looks a bit like I'm playing baseball. I too find that I'm gripping my stick too hard with the objective of hitting the ball full-on. When I watch videos of slapshot technique, they emphasize hitting somewhat behind the ball and applying downward pressure to flex the stick, before releasing the shot. Anyone with some experience willing to give me some pointers and correct my baseball philosophy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad