General Ball Hockey Thread

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Hockey can be played off the rink too. I am getting into ball hockey this year, first game on Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share experiences and advice or ask for advice here. I myself am playing outdoor ball hockey which spans the next two months. 12 games + playoffs. This is my first ball hockey league since I was 13 years old. It's a 'C' league since I'm recovering from a knee injury and haven't done much running since so I didn't want anything too competitive yet.

Unrelated note, cousin of mine went and played professional 4-on-4 ball hockey in Switzerland which I didn't even realize was a thing before he went over.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I played a couple summers back.

1. It's a lot of running.
2. If played outdoors, it's really hot. But you get a nice tan.
3. You can really work on your hands.
4. It's a lot of running.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
1. Its a heck of a lot of running.
2. I find the transition game to be much harder than in ice hockey.
3. I've seen a guy play week after week in work boots. He looked ridiculous.
4. It can be a lot of fun, especially when you get to play with friends that might not be inclined to play ice hockey.

Rizzy13

Jan 26, 2009
I played a couple summers back.

1. It's a lot of running.
2. If played outdoors, it's really hot. But you get a nice tan.
3. You can really work on your hands.
4. It's a lot of running.

This guy nailed it ^. You will never run more anywhere in your life. You lose the ball in the offensive zone, running to get back seems like it's absolutely impossible. Positioning is a little more difficult too in the sense that you have to walk/jog around to cover the points and the players rather than a simple glide like on ice (so more running). Outdoors is annoying because it can get really hot, wind can alter shots, but a nice breeze can be awesome. Ball hockey, everyone has a great shot (compared to using a puck) so it is fun cuz usually most people can be a threat. Also, it's a lot of running again. My favourite play is just doing a little a flip of the ball in the air and trying to run past the guy.

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
5'10" 115lbs can barely flex a 75 flex. I need a good stick for ball hockey. Would intermediate be best? and what kind of curve is good for a ball hockey shooter? I usually stand in front of the goalie and play right wing.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
One thing I've noticed when my team played in our pre-season game that the ball flys. A hard pass from me usually ends up six feet in the air when it gets to who I'm sending it to.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Hockey can be played off the rink too. I am getting into ball hockey this year, first game on Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share experiences and advice or ask for advice here. I myself am playing outdoor ball hockey which spans the next two months. 12 games + playoffs. This is my first ball hockey league since I was 13 years old. It's a 'C' league since I'm recovering from a knee injury and haven't done much running since so I didn't want anything too competitive yet.

Unrelated note, cousin of mine went and played professional 4-on-4 ball hockey in Switzerland which I didn't even realize was a thing before he went over.

I play tier 4 ball hockey for fun indoors.
Its a **** ton of running. Get used to it and keep your hips in good shape.
I play pick up in missisauga on tuesdays as well.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
5'10" 115lbs can barely flex a 75 flex. I need a good stick for ball hockey. Would intermediate be best? and what kind of curve is good for a ball hockey shooter? I usually stand in front of the goalie and play right wing.

I would go intermediate for sure. For curve I think its personal preference.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

You must be a teenager, am I right ? Being rather tall and skinny, you probably need an uncut 65-70 flex intermediate. As far as curves, I suggest using a more closed curve than what you use on the ice, since the ball is easier to raise than the puck. I never had a better shot in ball hockey than with a P88. On the ice, I prefer using a P14/P92/P08 though.

Ball hockey is truly the stickhandlers/shooters game. If you're a great skater, it won't translate to anything. I'm a pretty average skater, but I can run really fast for an extended period of time.

Have fun guys !

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
You must be a teenager, am I right ? Being rather tall and skinny, you probably need an uncut 65-70 flex intermediate. As far as curves, I suggest using a more closed curve than what you use on the ice, since the ball is easier to raise than the puck. I never had a better shot in ball hockey than with a P88. On the ice, I prefer using a P14/P92/P08 though.

Ball hockey is truly the stickhandlers/shooters game. If you're a great skater, it won't translate to anything. I'm a pretty average skater, but I can run really fast for an extended period of time.

Have fun guys !

Yeah teenager lol. I was thinking about the Kane curve as well, tried the Hall curve in a summer league and wasn't much of a fan. My speed isn't an issue but endurance definitely is and I've tried to work on my shot and stick skills.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yeah teenager lol. I was thinking about the Kane curve as well, tried the Hall curve in a summer league and wasn't much of a fan. My speed isn't an issue but endurance definitely is and I've tried to work on my shot and stick skills.

I find the biggest mistake people make with Ball hockey is thinking that the running is the same as the skating. You have to really be selective. Centers need to know that if they decide to forecheck, its a very long sprint back.

People appreciate guys that can forecheck hard but I find that they get the least respect because theyre the first ones picked on when they didnt "come back".

With your endurance issue, start doing interval training. It will help.

Analyzer*

The ball hockey championships are in Switzlerand I believe.

It's a lot of running and imo, harding to back check. If you have forward momentum and have to suddenly stop to get back, you don't have the assistance of gliding like on ice.

The ball jumps a lot and it's harder to complete a pass, unless you're indoors.

If you're outside your stick will wear down a lot.

Bring water. Lots of water.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The ball hockey championships are in Switzlerand I believe.

It's a lot of running and imo, harding to back check. If you have forward momentum and have to suddenly stop to get back, you don't have the assistance of gliding like on ice.

The ball jumps a lot and it's harder to complete a pass, unless you're indoors.

If you're outside your stick will wear down a lot.

Bring water. Lots of water.

The ball hockey world championships are held each 2 years. In 2013, it was in St John's. In 2015, it will be in Switzerland. You guys probably don't have what it takes to make team Canada/USA, but if you have a second passport, feel free to attend the tryouts of your national team. Being French, my two best friends made team France last year, and I'm looking forward to make team France too in 2015 :yo:

By the way, I have tip for passes. If you need to get a pass in the air, don't just flip it because it will bounce over your teammate's stick. Instead, do an actual saucer pass, but with as much spin as you can. The spin slows the ball down once it hits the ground, making a clean pass as you would on the ice with a puck.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Quick question to the ball hockey vets out there. Hockey tape or no hockey tape on the blade of the stick because I see a few with it and without it on the floor.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Quick question to the ball hockey vets out there. Hockey tape or no hockey tape on the blade of the stick because I see a few with it and without it on the floor.

I use a full tape job as I would to play ice hockey. I find it puts extra spin on the ball when you shoot it, which makes it fly faster and curve a bit (curve balls are goalie killers). The downside is that your release will be slightly delayed due to the added drag of the tape on the floor.

For stickhandling, it doesn't really make a difference if the ball isn't sticky. When the ball is sticky, having tape on your blade can make toe drags more difficult.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I use a full tape job as I would to play ice hockey. I find it puts extra spin on the ball when you shoot it, which makes it fly faster and curve a bit (curve balls are goalie killers). The downside is that your release will be slightly delayed due to the added drag of the tape on the floor.

For stickhandling, it doesn't really make a difference if the ball isn't sticky. When the ball is sticky, having tape on your blade can make toe drags more difficult.

I might go without it then for now unless I keep finding it difficult to score goals and want to change things up.

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada

I prefer a single strip or two strips across the face of the blade but none on the actual bottom part of the blade because of the dragging/delayed shots.

Rizzy13

Jan 26, 2009
I prefer a single strip or two strips across the face of the blade but none on the actual bottom part of the blade because of the dragging/delayed shots.

I prefer the same. Stick balls are the worst, cannot stick handle well with them at all, ball keeps left behind and if you look up it'll just stop somewhere. The tape doesn't make anything feel more sticky but just gives a slight sense of more control IMO. 1 to 2 strips going across is perfect, not on bottom of blade.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

I personally use tape because I like wood for Dek Hockey. Tape helps the ball fly off. Pretty useful.

I use full tape. It gives more control when stickhandling and gives a nice curve. Like a curveball.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
First regular season game of the season and we're put up against a team that has been playing together for years. My team has two guys that have played together in prior seasons, the rest of us have never played together. Get whopped 10-0. I thought our goalie did ok. We got killed on the cross-crease passing. Our offensive chances were a lot better this game then the pre-season game.

Offense improved, defense was still meh. I had 2-3 shots including a breakaway and chance in the slot. I felt better this game then last game physically. Felt my endurance was a bit higher along with my aggression. Didn't realize how physical ball hockey is played until today.

My team plays in the 'C' league or division. In 'C' you're allowed to have 4 'B' players. The other team had 5 'B' players however since one of them had never played on a 'B' team he isn't considered a 'B' players despite being one of the best on his team. They also had a player who is considered one of the best out of every division from 'A' to 'C'.

Only had 8 guys show up plus a goalie. Our players were gassed. So far we've played two teams that have outclassed by a mile. Hoping there's at least one team on our level. I like the team I'm on. Guys seem easy to get along with plus they don't seem too discouraged yet.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
First regular season game of the season and we're put up against a team that has been playing together for years. My team has two guys that have played together in prior seasons, the rest of us have never played together. Get whopped 10-0. I thought our goalie did ok. We got killed on the cross-crease passing. Our offensive chances were a lot better this game then the pre-season game.

Offense improved, defense was still meh. I had 2-3 shots including a breakaway and chance in the slot. I felt better this game then last game physically. Felt my endurance was a bit higher along with my aggression. Didn't realize how physical ball hockey is played until today.

My team plays in the 'C' league or division. In 'C' you're allowed to have 4 'B' players. The other team had 5 'B' players however since one of them had never played on a 'B' team he isn't considered a 'B' players despite being one of the best on his team. They also had a player who is considered one of the best out of every division from 'A' to 'C'.

Only had 8 guys show up plus a goalie. Our players were gassed. So far we've played two teams that have outclassed by a mile. Hoping there's at least one team on our level. I like the team I'm on. Guys seem easy to get along with plus they don't seem too discouraged yet.

When I started playing ball hockey with adults, it was 2 years ago with my friends. We were 15-16 years old at the time, so of course we would get destroyed in the physical department. We only won 1 game that year. We played in a C level league. It was fine for me, I scored a point per game that season.

Now, 2 years later, we would destroy that C level league (we're high end players in B and middle of the pack in A). Don't worry, you're just not used to playing yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad