General Ball Hockey Thread

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Dont forget the curving of the ball. Why I gave up playing net for ball hockey. Pucks dont curve and bend

Holy **** you couldn't be more right. I've pretty much given up on playing in net for ball, just because it's such a crapshoot. Plus, it feels to clunky walking around in pads and trying to drop into butterfly from your feet. I really don't playing goal at all, which sucks because I absolutely love standing in net in both roller and ice.

I started playing out when one pickup three goalies showed up, and I'm having a blast there. My years as a goalie have given me some decent skills and I keep pretty good positioning and can make some decent reads. I can't stickhandle but I can pass well.

It's been a nice change of pace for sure.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Hey guys. I followed this thread a bit back and am sad to see it fall so far.
Anyway, I'm signed up for an intermural rec league ball hockey league and first game is coming up. I have no previous experience with ice or ball hockey. I'm not even sure of what position I wanna play. Any general tips?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Hey guys. I followed this thread a bit back and am sad to see it fall so far.
Anyway, I'm signed up for an intermural rec league ball hockey league and first game is coming up. I have no previous experience with ice or ball hockey. I'm not even sure of what position I wanna play. Any general tips?
Yep.

First of all though, have you played any outdoor rink or pick up hockey ?

Surfaces and quality of the ball affect your ability to stickhandle.

Move your feet and look to get open.

Play the position you feel most comfortable in, you're new so try them all out.

Ask for tips, even on how to shoot and stick handle. Watch how people play, you can pick up some things.

Going to the net, backchking, passing and taking a short shift is always a good idea. Doing so will make you friends quickly.

Moving around and getting open will help get you the ball because people are likely to make a pass to a guy who's open.

Get good running shoes, and you may want to try lacrosse gloves.

Shin pads are reccomended depending on the caliber.

Be prepared to do a lot of running and remember that the ball may take some crazy bounces or even curve.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Yep.

First of all though, have you played any outdoor rink or pick up hockey ?

Surfaces and quality of the ball affect your ability to stickhandle.

Move your feet and look to get open.

Play the position you feel most comfortable in, you're new so try them all out.

Ask for tips, even on how to shoot and stick handle. Watch how people play, you can pick up some things.

Going to the net, backchking, passing and taking a short shift is always a good idea. Doing so will make you friends quickly.

Moving around and getting open will help get you the ball because people are likely to make a pass to a guy who's open.

Get good running shoes, and you may want to try lacrosse gloves.

Shin pads are reccomended depending on the caliber.

Be prepared to do a lot of running and remember that the ball may take some crazy bounces or even curve.

Thanks for the tips mate!
No I have not played any outdoor hockey before haha. So I'm a complete noob.
Also, I just noticed that it's a 3 on 3 league (max 3 players and a goalir in play from each team). Does that change anything, or are there any specific suggestions for 3v3?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Thanks for the tips mate!
No I have not played any outdoor hockey before haha. So I'm a complete noob.
Also, I just noticed that it's a 3 on 3 league (max 3 players and a goalir in play from each team). Does that change anything, or are there any specific suggestions for 3v3?

Yes, it's a quicker pace and a higher tempo. A lot more offensive too.

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Hey 19Backstrom,

I'm curious about the process of trying out for another country on the international stage for the world ball hockey championships. Did you end up trying out for France? How did it go? How do you line up a tryout? Is it easy to get a dual passport? (I'm assuming that may depend on the country though)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hey 19Backstrom,

I'm curious about the process of trying out for another country on the international stage for the world ball hockey championships. Did you end up trying out for France? How did it go? How do you line up a tryout? Is it easy to get a dual passport? (I'm assuming that may depend on the country though)

I never did the tryouts for France unfortunately. The roster was pretty much done anyway, since everyone could attend the tournament. Switzerland is right next to France, so they didn't have any problem traveling there, unlike 2013's edition which was in Canada.

My best friends made the team again. There was no formal tryout held for France, they basically brought the same people as 2013 plus my two friends. One made the team because his father's company is a major sponsor for Team France and the other made the team on merit. I'm better than both of them IMO but they have never seen me play so they won't invite me. I still have hopes of making the team one day, but for that, I need to show them what I'm capable of. I didn't go to the world championships in 2013 because I was 17. My friends were 18 and eligible to participate.

I have another friend who was invited to the tryouts for Italy which were held in Toronto. He didn't have the time and money to go there, so they gave up on him. Most teams usually have tryouts, it all depends on each team's budget.

As for you, check if you are eligible to the citizenship of a country participating in the world championship through your ancestry. I was born in France and moved to Canada 10 years ago, that's how I got the passport of both countries. Getting another passport is difficult. To become French, you have to reside in France for 5 years as an immigrant and then you apply for the citizenship.

Unless you are ridiculously good, forget about cracking Canada's roster. Once you get the passport of another country, email their manager and tell him or her that you are interested in representing the team, in which case they may call you for a tryout.

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
Can someone whose played a while an experienced can tell me the pros and cons of certain blade patterns when using a ball.

I started playing in Ball vs Ice and the whole things ****ing me up. I currently use a pro stock ovy curve on ice. Trying to get some info.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
ball hockey is tough you get gased easily.

But taking short shifts can help which I probably didnt do .

I am pretty bad. I am a liability defensive because I cant back. I am just good around the net, very good actually. But there isn't much powerplays in ball hockey. I think i have good vision too.

I wish i could play hockey professionally.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Can someone whose played a while an experienced can tell me the pros and cons of certain blade patterns when using a ball.

I started playing in Ball vs Ice and the whole things ****ing me up. I currently use a pro stock ovy curve on ice. Trying to get some info.

You're overthinking it big time.

You just need to adjust your mechanics. Remember that a ball is easier to take a wrist shot with.

What specific issues are you having?

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
You're overthinking it big time.

You just need to adjust your mechanics. Remember that a ball is easier to take a wrist shot with.

What specific issues are you having?

The ball is so light that taking shots of the toe ****s their trajectory

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The ball is so light that taking shots of the toe ****s their trajectory

I know but naturally over time you'll adjust. Seriously in pregame warm up, just keep practicing your shots as well as things like toe drags and handling.

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
I know but naturally over time you'll adjust. Seriously in pregame warm up, just keep practicing your shots as well as things like toe drags and handling.

Yes but like on ice each curve has a different function or capability it excels at with a puck.

I wonder how that effects a ball and was curious how each curve reacts with a ball.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yes but like on ice each curve has a different function or capability it excels at with a puck.

I wonder how that effects a ball and was curious how each curve reacts with a ball.

Unless you're playing tier 1, or plan to play international tournaments, I don't think any of thats important.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Anyone familiar with Penn Hills dek hockey? They bring a team to a lot of hockey tournaments and have gone to Toronto + Czech Republic recently.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I've used pro stock Ovi curves both on the ice and for ball hockey. It's great for wrist shots and slap shots but forget the backhand with that :laugh:

A good compromise would be the P28. It's still a toe curve but it doesn't have the loft on the forehand (it's flatter near the heel on the backhand).

I'm using the True TC3, which is close to a pro stock Hossa from what I hear. I also own a pro stock Elias Lindholm. The TC3 is ideal for me, the Lindholm curve is wild, it's basically a huge mid curve, like the W71 from Warrior.

These deep curves put more spin on slapshots. They will almost never fly straight to the target, so you're going to have to calibrate your shot a little bit. Practice slap shots from different distances and see how it swerves. After that, you'll compensate naturally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad