General Ball Hockey Thread

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Chin to Nose.

Any advice for keeping goalie equipment nice while playing on concrete and Dek?

Concrete is going to chew up your pads, glove, and blocker no matter what. Its near impossible to not have it happen(unless you play stand-up 100% of the time, and don't scrape the ground at all, which is near impossible to do).

As for basic scuff marks and whatnot that happen while playing dek- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is your friend. It will clean your pads up pretty nice, and not leave any chemicals or stains on them.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What kind of ball do you guys use?

Also, is there a ball league in the Niagara Peninsula?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I find using a longer stick in ball hockey helps a lot. I'm 6'3 and have good hands, but when I first started playing I noticed how difficult it was to stick handle while running.. having a longer stick makes it easier to control the ball IMO. Everyone has their own preference but it just felt awkward to me using a smaller stick while running. Last year I went from using an AI9 cut under my chin with a small curve to a RBZ, Landeskog curve with a full extension and it was night and day the difference. Shooting, stick handling, controlling the ball while it's spinning.. everything was easier.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I find using a longer stick in ball hockey helps a lot. I'm 6'3 and have good hands, but when I first started playing I noticed how difficult it was to stick handle while running.. having a longer stick makes it easier to control the ball IMO. Everyone has their own preference but it just felt awkward to me using a smaller stick while running. Last year I went from using an AI9 cut under my chin with a small curve to a RBZ, Landeskog curve with a full extension and it was night and day the difference.

Yes but keep in mind that you're taller than most people here. I bet you never had to cut a stick.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
We started in a 4v4 league this winter and my entire team has never played before we have yet to win but we are out there for fun. We focus on pressing the other teams because we dont have the talent to keep up. Unfortunatly we dont have the energy to keep it up. First period we come out even or close, second and third it just falls apart. Any tips?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
We started in a 4v4 league this winter and my entire team has never played before we have yet to win but we are out there for fun. We focus on pressing the other teams because we dont have the talent to keep up. Unfortunatly we dont have the energy to keep it up. First period we come out even or close, second and third it just falls apart. Any tips?

Sounds like my team this year. In my inquires into the problem it appears there is no short term solution unless you can do quick shifts or increase your roster size a bit. Just have to let your legs get underneath you. Maybe go for runs on days between the games but other then that your options are limited.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Concrete is going to chew up your pads, glove, and blocker no matter what. Its near impossible to not have it happen(unless you play stand-up 100% of the time, and don't scrape the ground at all, which is near impossible to do).

As for basic scuff marks and whatnot that happen while playing dek- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is your friend. It will clean your pads up pretty nice, and not leave any chemicals or stains on them.

For those wondering. It works magic on puck marks as well. Makes my white gear look brand new every year

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Make the opposition run by dumping the ball and pressuring them on the forecheck. Once you retrieve the ball, make a series of one touch passes to keep the opposition moving, until they're tired. It's a bit like a game of keepaway. Let the ball do the work for you, and avoid extended shifts. Once they're tired, shoot to kill.

BobHo

Apr 23, 2012
Also, a first timer here. Kind of nervous because I can't really stay on the puck (can get knocked easily), also Im afraid when breaking out with the puck because whenever I sprint to the sides of the defensemen, I fear that I'll be crushed along the boards. Any tips in this aspect?

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Also, a first timer here. Kind of nervous because I can't really stay on the puck (can get knocked easily), also Im afraid when breaking out with the puck because whenever I sprint to the sides of the defensemen, I fear that I'll be crushed along the boards. Any tips in this aspect?

The leagues I've played have been noncontact leagues (other than the occasional bump) so have no fear of actually being hit off the ball. Try keeping the ball close to your body and in corners or behind the net try to play like Crosby shielding defenders with your body.

And if your nervous about breakouts play D and just dump it down to a forward, or if you play forward just chip it up the wall and chase it down. If your quick enough you will run past the defender as hes turning.

Or just play like Geno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smz81xVItOQ

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

You won't be crushed, most leagues prohibit hitting. Break out with the ball full throttle, but keep your head up just in case. If the defensemen come too close to you, deke them out or dump it.

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Anybody have tips for someone who can hit all the spots on the net but not with a lot of power?

Or some good youtube videos to watch to get ready for ball hockey?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Yes but keep in mind that you're taller than most people here. I bet you never had to cut a stick.

He's right though. In ice hockey I cut it just under my chin, but in ball hockey I have it up to my upper lip in shoes. And I've tried a lot of other lengths too. It helps a lot to stickhandle and I think it's because of the difference in posture when you're running and skating. Nobody runs while semi-crouching - that's essentially what you're doing in ice skating.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He's right though. In ice hockey I cut it just under my chin, but in ball hockey I have it up to my upper lip in shoes. And I've tried a lot of other lengths too. It helps a lot to stickhandle and I think it's because of the difference in posture when you're running and skating. Nobody runs while semi-crouching - that's essentially what you're doing in ice skating.

Maybe I should get a longer stick then. Mine goes up to my mouth but I still find I have to crouch down in order to have the blade flat on the playing surface.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe I should get a longer stick then. Mine goes up to my mouth but I still find I have to crouch down in order to have the blade flat on the playing surface.

Odd...a longer stick would make your blade less flat (i.e. it would prop up more on the heel), unless you mean that the toe of the blade is usually on the ground? And is that up to your mouth with your shoes on?

BobHo

Apr 23, 2012
Anybody have tips for someone who can hit all the spots on the net but not with a lot of power?

Or some good youtube videos to watch to get ready for ball hockey?

Thanks man for the advice!
Yeah, I need advice on that too! Anyone?

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Learned something the other day, I wear indoor soccer shoes for our games and I paid for it in our last game. On the face offs me and this one guy were really going at it and we were both getting annoyed with each other. When the ball went to my feet he saw the oppurtunity to take a harder then needed chop at the "Ball" (Feet). He hit my big toe hard enough to snap my nail in half. No call on the play, very frusterating but honestly its not enough for me to change shoes. Just getting that off my chest. By the way, no call on the play.

BobHo

Apr 23, 2012
I really need to learn to stay on the puck and fight for position, even though I'm in a non-checking league. I know it's a process, but any tips/workouts to get started?

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Since deking is kinda hard in Dek/Ball hockey one of my favorite moves is to suddenly stop, cut to the middle, then take a shot or cut to the outside again pass or shoot then.

Anybody got any tips for deking in ball hockey? I have decent hands.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Since deking is kinda hard in Dek/Ball hockey one of my favorite moves is to suddenly stop, cut to the middle, then take a shot or cut to the outside again pass or shoot then.

Anybody got any tips for deking in ball hockey? I have decent hands.

Just try to put it under or over the stick or through the guy's legs (or do both :yo:). If you're cheeky enough to attempt it, juggle the ball over the guy's head, but beware of crosschecks.

My favorite move in ball hockey is the toe drag/curl and drag. You can incorporate a quick change of pace, which throws the defenders off.

Deking in ball hockey isn't more difficult than on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad