General Ball Hockey Thread

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Never letcha guys now how we finished...and it wasn't pretty. We finished 3rd place outta 6 teams through the regular season, but ended up with 5th place in the league. Very disappointing.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Intra-squad game was fun. I realized that I really need to work on my finish. Also one of the new players came out and he was huge. Not muscular huge but hot dog eating huge. So our team was hoping to get faster this season and we retain our slowest player and add an even slower player. It might not matter as much though as it's possible we are being moved to a 'D' division.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm so tired today.

Faced about 50 shots last night. 37 hit the net. I stopped 31. We had a lot of no shows so we struggled throughout the game. Most of the game was spent in our own end.

I just want to crawl back into bed right now lol.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I'm so tired today.

Faced about 50 shots last night. 37 hit the net. I stopped 31. We had a lot of no shows so we struggled throughout the game. Most of the game was spent in our own end.

I just want to crawl back into bed right now lol.

Chin up! Consider it extra target practice. I used to be in a similar situation with a team that didn't know how to play defence. I found the key to improving my play while under seige was two fold.

Physically speaking, I had to work on increasing my endurance. I started working out and lost 20 lbs which helped but the main thing was working on my crease movements so that I had better economy of movement. People think just because its not ice hockey that you have to shuffle and bounce around like a hyper active bunny. Its not true. Simplify your movements and practice moving from point A to B with the least amount of effort and movement possible.

Mentally I was getting worn down. Its a bad state of mind to be in when you realize you can't let in more than one or two goals because its a fluke if your team can even get 3. I realized letting the scoreboard dominate my mind was a huge distraction so I started breaking the periods down into 2 minute chunks. Treat it like a penalty kill and just try to stop everything you can in that time frame. If they score, forget about it and start a new chunk. One effective quick way to forget about a goal is to revisualize how the shot came but instead of it going in you visualize yourself making a save. What you would have done differently in order to make the save. I try to think of ways I could have been more compact or reacted better or fought through the screen harder. Keep it realistic and not always turning into a baseball drive across the crease with your glove outstretched. What happens is that subconscioussly I start to actually do those things the next time a similar scoring chance occurs. Once you revisualized the goal, put it aside.

Try those things and eventually you'll be able to make 40+ saves in a game no sweat.

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
I have a question for the goalies in this thread.

I have been thinking about playing goalie for a ball hockey league and would like to get better equipment than the Canadian tire street hockey gear.

I am wondering what size gear I can get away with. I am 5'11.

How do I tell which pads will fit properly? What's all this business about pads having +1 on them. Should I go intermediate or senior? What's the big difference between those classifications?

I will be mostly looking at getting this equip second hand off Kijiji probably, as I don't have an enormous budget for this.

Looking forward to a response.

Thanks

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

I have been thinking about playing goalie for a ball hockey league and would like to get better equipment than the Canadian tire street hockey gear.

How do I tell which pads will fit properly? What's all this business about pads having +1 on them. Should I go intermediate or senior? What's the big difference between those classifications?

I will be mostly looking at getting this equip second hand off Kijiji probably, as I don't have an enormous budget for this.

Thanks

Most ball hockey leagues do not allow you to use road hockey gear.

Go to http://vaughnhockey.com/page.asp?id=31 for a general sizing guide. I'd suggest going to the local hockey shop and trying on a few different brands to test their fits. Reeboks and Vaughns are two major brands that generally fit very differently. The size will be listed in inches as the length of the leg pocket (ie. 32) The +1 or +2 is the length of additional pad that is added above the knee to size the pad out. IE a 32+2 pad would fit like a 32 but be the size of a 34+0 pad.

In a rough guess for someone your size, I'd say 33-34 would be in your zone to start sizing, but don't use that as a guide.

You will need senior pads as intermediate only go up to 30 or 31" I believe.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

Thanks

Everything Jets said. Senior will offer more than enough protection for you in ball hockey. I'll also chime in and say that you should try and figure out what style of play you'll go for. Ball hockey goaltending almost necessitates a hybrid style but even then you will have preferences in terms of how you like your pad to play (big rebounds directed where you want, or short rebounds you can gather in), how you like your pads to fit (tight or loose), five hole coverage (depending if your butterfly is wide or narrow), etc.

Try and figure those things out, and go to a local hockey store to try on a variety of pads. Most major manufacturers make pads for both hybrid and butterfly styles of play but some are more known for one than the other. Then once you know what you're comfortable with you can go on Kijiji or wherever else and buy with confidence.

Another thing to note with sizing is that old used pads will "settle" as they get more broken in. This means a 32+2 vaughan may end up being more of a 31+1 after it's been beat up for a few seasons. Keep that in mind when buying used gear.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Chin up! Consider it extra target practice. I used to be in a similar situation with a team that didn't know how to play defence. I found the key to improving my play while under seige was two fold.

Physically speaking, I had to work on increasing my endurance. I started working out and lost 20 lbs which helped but the main thing was working on my crease movements so that I had better economy of movement. People think just because its not ice hockey that you have to shuffle and bounce around like a hyper active bunny. Its not true. Simplify your movements and practice moving from point A to B with the least amount of effort and movement possible.

Mentally I was getting worn down. Its a bad state of mind to be in when you realize you can't let in more than one or two goals because its a fluke if your team can even get 3. I realized letting the scoreboard dominate my mind was a huge distraction so I started breaking the periods down into 2 minute chunks. Treat it like a penalty kill and just try to stop everything you can in that time frame. If they score, forget about it and start a new chunk. One effective quick way to forget about a goal is to revisualize how the shot came but instead of it going in you visualize yourself making a save. What you would have done differently in order to make the save. I try to think of ways I could have been more compact or reacted better or fought through the screen harder. Keep it realistic and not always turning into a baseball drive across the crease with your glove outstretched. What happens is that subconscioussly I start to actually do those things the next time a similar scoring chance occurs. Once you revisualized the goal, put it aside.

Try those things and eventually you'll be able to make 40+ saves in a game no sweat.

Most of this isn't much of an issue for me. I am a fairly experienced goalie. The endurance is something i should be working on but i simply don't have the time to hit the gym hard enough to be in tip top shape. My team does play well defensively for the most part.

The issue that night is that we had a higher than normal no-shows so the guys in front of me got tired and our team spent most of the game in our zone. That's what kills my endurance every time. Long periods of time where i'm just constantly moving.

I held the game at a 2-1 score for most of the game but after fatigue set in for good we were toast. The other team scored 4 goals in the last 10 minutes and made the game look like a blow out when it wasn't really the case.

Also we played at 10pm. :cry:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Thanks

Not set in stone. However, i can give you a general idea since your approx the same height as me (I'm 5'9).

I wear 32 inch pads so i'd look at 34 inch pads in your case since your a little taller.

I would buy pants and chest protector at a used hockey gear store. The reason being that chest protectors can vary in terms of size and feel. So your better off trying on multiple chest protectors so you can get the one that is the most comfortable for you. Your chest protector has to fit because you have to have good range of motion in your arms and your head once your helmet is on.

Then once you have found a chest protector you like you can choose a pair of pants that fits well accordingly with your chest protector and your pads.

Things that you don't need to be measured for like a blocker/trapper/cup ect. you can look online. Often in the summer you can find really good deals at hockeymonkey.com. I got my blocker, trapper for 100$ US and my goalie helmet for 110$ US + shipping on that site. Damn good price considering how expensive new gear costs in canada.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
I scored the sickest goal the other day. We ended up losing the game though.
I've currently got 15 goals and 21 points in 12
Games this season. So far in my career,
I've played 77 games, and have hit 93 points

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
You should have passed it to #9. He was wide open :sarcasm: :naughty:

Seriously though, nice goal.

:laugh: I honestly don't even remember seeing him open at the time. I had just took a double minor for two handing a guy in the legs after he cut me off in front of the net, so I was pretty pumped to get out there and try to make something happen

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
played for four hours today, so much fun. When I am away at college my friends don't like to play, and I just recently got home so we've only had a couple game days, but today was a good one.

I started bringing my GoPro and trying different things with it to get some cool video

My rollerblades (half of us rollerblade, half just run) are a little too small so my feet are in so much pain, plus I'm just sore from skating for four hours. I got home from playing and almost immediately fell asleep on the couch haha. So exhuasted. Its just a pickup league though so its nothing serious

If I can find any cool highlights from the video I took today I will share them

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Swept our opponent in the first round along with the #1 seed in our division getting swept. #2 plays #4 in the final.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
League is supposed to end on the 19th. Commissioner is considering extending the regular season and have the playoffs start at the beginning of August.

That would be amazing.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
League is supposed to end on the 19th. Commissioner is considering extending the regular season and have the playoffs start at the beginning of August.

That would be amazing.

What's the reason for extending the regular season? Just to get more games in or to play games that were missed?

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
we qualified for Sask provincials by finishing 1st in the standing, see ya in Regina to any Sask teams going from here

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Season starts tonight. No idea what to expect, no idea who's going to show up or anything of the sort. I'm just hoping we don't get shut out. A win would be huge but with the new players showing up who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad