TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Here’s all the shows I watched during the spring season.

Don’t Tease Me Miss Nagatoro 10/10
I give it a 10/10 but realistically I would rate it a 7, but this just a guilty pleasure series, it’s stupid but it has its good moments, and they really did a solid adaptation of the manga which I’ve been reading for awhile.

Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song 8/10
This was awesome experience, full of emotional moments and some badass ones as well. WIT Studio is easily one of the top dogs and they put in so much effort with this series. Written by the same guy who made Re:Zero so if your into that, and if you like the whole AI vs Man type stories this is a really good one.

Dragon Goes House-Hunting 7/10
Easily for me the best comedy of Spring, it had so many good moments throughout the show, although I could see the main character Letty getting on your nerves with his constant crying like with Zenitsu in Demon Slayer, but for me it didn’t bother me too much. Also, Dearia is the best Demon Lord in any anime that involves a Demon Lord :P

Odd Taxi 7/10
At first I wasn’t completely digging the story, but man this is a really good mystery. If you were turned off by the show because of the “furry” characters please give this one a shot because it’s really good.

86 7/10
Definitely a fun and emotional ride 86 had, and we’re getting a season 2 pretty soon unless a delay happens and I’m definitely excited to see where they take this series. If your into military type shows I recommend you watch this it’s really good IMO.

Shadows House 7/10
Another mystery that is pretty good, constantly has you wondering what the heck is happening with these shadow people and the dolls, but it does leave you with a “Is that it?” ending that I’m hoping gets a season 2, but until then I still recommend it if you like mysteries.

Mini Dragon 7/10
Super shorts with the characters from Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid to hype up the upcoming 2nd season, and it did its job for me, I’m excited :P

The Way of the Househusband 6/10
The performance of Kenjirou Tsuda saves the slide show anime this was. The material is absolutely amazing, but man, this could’ve been so much better if they had done anything different from what they did. I’m hoping one day they just remake this into what it should be.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level 6/10
Pretty cute series, nothing too memorable but I had fun watching it. If you like isekai’s that have multiple characters you’ll like it.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park 6/10
This series came out during Fall of last year, and I went 9 episodes through at that time, but finally finished it this Spring, and it’s a solid show overall. Each episode has its own story in it, except a few that have 2 eps for one overall story. All about like gangs and stuff, man I’m bad at reviews.

Zombieland Saga: Revenge 6/10
The continuation from season one, with the same group, but sadly a whole lot less of Tatsumi, one of the best characters in anime. I definitely, if anything with this series just look up clips of him he is so good and hilarious.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! 5/10
From the same writer who wrote Konosuba and just like his other work that got adapted awhile ago in Kemono Michi: Rise Up, it just doesn’t hit for me like Konosuba did. The characters just aren’t as good IMO. If it gets a Season 2 I might watch it but more than likely I’ll pass.

Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway 5/10
This show was hyped up, and I gave it a watch but I mean after watching it I won’t remember anything about it, other than how they kinda rushed a certain important part which loses the impact that I’m guessing the light novel handled better. Don’t wanna spoil it but if you watch it I think you’ll know what I mean.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As an Anime skeptic who has only really liked stuff from a half dozen creators or so, I tried getting into Haikyu and Jujutsu Kaisen and was pretty disappointed in their respective first seasons, personally.

I was given the impression that Haikyu was a more grounded and less trope-y sports Anime that more tastefully explored tons of human themes, along the lines of Ping Pong: The Animation, which I absolutely loved, but I wasn't getting that at all from it. I think it was merely baseline serviceable, generic, and unspectacular entertainment (kind of like My Hero Academia) with tons of annoying tropes, quirks and narrative gimmicks common in Anime, delivered like a bad soap opera. Also, does that Kiyoko character get any characterization at some point? Or does she literally just exist solely to be fawned over?

I was also intrigued by the hype of Jujutsu Kaisen as some expectation-subverting homage that learns from the mistakes of past Shonen, but it felt very pedestrian and similarly underwhelming as its influences, to me (the early pacing even felt weaker in some ways). I heard that it handles female characters more tastefully, but they're still marginalized/cheapened pretty badly to put focus on the leading men. I heard that it had no fan-service, but the first action scene literally had a weird and unnecessary focus on a schoolgirl's breasts being fondled by a tentacle monster thing (there were other questionable instances too). The animation is very good as advertised, but most attempts at humor were aggressively bad, out of place and off-putting, in my opinion. The only thing about it that I actively enjoyed and found notable was that Nanami character, who was admittedly pretty fun and had an amusing shtick. I do find the idea of cursed energy being a psychologically driven thing that grows through communication (justifying the explanation trope) and doesn't improve by training but by legitimately learning and maturing from your over-simplified hang-ups to be a very clever concept, but none of that meaningfully came into play this season.

I've heard that they're both expected to get better with more seasons, but I'm not too tempted to continue.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The new Godzilla anime is alright. I know the western Godzilla community generaly doesn't like it, but then again the Godzilla fandom on this side of the ocean has its head up its asses about anything Toho has recently produced, and gives the western movies a free pass.

I like the quirky comedy and the scientific stuff. The characters are ok, but just ok. The animation done for the Kaijus is spectacular, and is very different from everything else in the show (I imagine this was intentional).

Haven't finished the series, so I'm still waiting to find out why everything is happening. This is obviously not the prime G universe (if this isn't a term yet, I'm copy writing it), but clearly has elements of the prime universe coming through. So I'm still waiting for that shoe to drop.

7/10

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Just finished the 1997 adaptation of Berzerk, and man what a great series, but man the way they ended that last episode and knowing now that there’s no new anime adaption coming anytime soon (besides that 2016 version which I’ve been warned about) makes me super sad. Hopefully a really good studio like MAPPA, WIT studio, or ufotable will grab the license and keep continuing a great story, but who knows if that’ll happen.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Just finished the 1997 adaptation of Berzerk, and man what a great series, but man the way they ended that last episode and knowing now that there’s no new anime adaption coming anytime soon (besides that 2016 version which I’ve been warned about) makes me super sad. Hopefully a really good studio like MAPPA, WIT studio, or ufotable will grab the license and keep continuing a great story, but who knows if that’ll happen.

I always enjoyed the blooper reel they did for that show. It came in the DVD bundles.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think that depends a lot on how bothered you are by the style change in animation to 3D graphics. It obviously bothered a lot of anime fans, but if you can tolerate it then it does do an adequate job of continuing the story after that ridiculously long flashback/origin story line.

But of course once you're done that's basically it as there seemed to be no desire to keep this take on the series running.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I think that depends a lot on how bothered you are by the style change in animation to 3D graphics. It obviously bothered a lot of anime fans, but if you can tolerate it then it does do an adequate job of continuing the story after that ridiculously long flashback/origin story line.

But of course once you're done that's basically it as there seemed to be no desire to keep this take on the series running.
I can deal with 3D animation but only a few studios can do it well, and the studio that did it, I believe is the same studio that did that reincarnated as a spider Spider anime which looked awful IMO, so I don’t really trust that studio, but do they continue the arc where the 1997 anime ended?

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I can deal with 3D animation but only a few studios can do it well, and the studio that did it, I believe is the same studio that did that reincarnated as a spider Spider anime which looked awful IMO, so I don’t really trust that studio, but do they continue the arc where the 1997 anime ended?

Yeah just guessing on the numbers here as it's been a good 10+ years since I first binged it but the author got up to something like 360 chapters before passing away recently and the '97 anime series was based on around ch10-100 which was basically a very lengthy prologue. It worked as a standalone but the 'real' story being told begins immediately after that and is where the newer series picks up.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Wasn't expecting this one to happen.

I LOVE Tatami Galaxy and the vibe of Night is Short Walk on Girl, but I don't know how much of that is Masaaki Yuasa and how much of it is the source material author. Little skeptical about the director. Very cool art style either way, though.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know how or why I did it, but I just finished Oreimo recently. Not that it was amazing and I dislike some stupid aspects like how the brother only has female friends and all of them want him for some weird, in which he declines all of them. However, with that said I don't think it was too bad; nothing groundbreaking or interesting characters, but not necessarily bad.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don't know how or why I did it, but I just finished Oreimo recently. Not that it was amazing and I dislike some stupid aspects like how the brother only has female friends and all of them want him for some weird, in which he declines all of them. However, with that said I don't think it was too bad; nothing groundbreaking or interesting characters, but not necessarily bad.

I enjoyed it. Nothing too special or spectacular with it, but it was very watchable. Also:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
One Piece has turned 24 and has also sold more copies officially then Batman internationally. Only Superman has sold more.
The first 100 or so chapters, 50 or so episodes of One Piece I consider genuinely good. With it peaking around the Baratie arc/Arlong Park arc.

As the show progressed it just go dumber and and dumber, with the straw hat crew barely even interacting with eachother and each character getting boiled down to just having one emotion at all times.

I'm a manga reader now, just because it's literally no time investment at all (like 10 minutes every 2 or 3 weeks basically) and these problems are even more severe in the manga since there's no anime padding where the characters even interact. I used to have friends that watched green arrow just to complain and I couldn't understand why until now. When you're caught up to something it's almost a ritual

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The first 100 or so chapters, 50 or so episodes of One Piece I consider genuinely good. With it peaking around the Baratie arc/Arlong Park arc.

As the show progressed it just go dumber and and dumber, with the straw hat crew barely even interacting with eachother and each character getting boiled down to just having one emotion at all times.

I'm a manga reader now, just because it's literally no time investment at all (like 10 minutes every 2 or 3 weeks basically) and these problems are even more severe in the manga since there's no anime padding where the characters even interact. I used to have friends that watched green arrow just to complain and I couldn't understand why until now. When you're caught up to something it's almost a ritual

One Piece kind of a childhood guilty pleasure of mine and I still like it up to around Water 7. How anybody can like the current version of it (manga or anime) is beyond me though as the show lost pretty much all of its humor, creativity and charme in the process. What I find puzzling is that most of the fandom thinks its just as good as always or at least not to far off, when its clear that the current iteration is not even a shadow of its former self. I for myself prefer to keep the series in good memory and maybe rewatch some of the older story arcs once in a while, to seeing it die an agonizing death. But I understand people who want to see it through after so much invested time over the years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad