TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Here’s some shows that I watched during the winter season

Wonder Egg Priority 10/10 - Although this series does not have the ending episode coming out until late June, it has become one of my favorites of all time. With the subject matter it deals with and with the great characters it has along with one of the best episodes in anime history IMO in episode 11, I’m really hyped for the finale.

Beastars S2 10/10 - I’m a big fan of season one and I read the manga so I pretty much knew what was going to happen this season and it’s just more of what you love, with some new characters added, and a deeper look into Legoshi, and Louis’ character. I’m really hoping Netflix continues to make the series, also don’t ask me how I watched this :P

Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 1 8/10 - I guess this is pretty much my whole review of Attack on Titan as a series, so I think it’s a really good anime throughout, it does have issues in having lots of episodes of just talking which I’m not very huge on, but the characters are what make this show so good. Watching Eren develop into one of the best main protagonists has been really fun after watching 70+ episodes of him, and all the side characters are really good as well. MAPPA did a good job taking over the series IMO, CGI isn’t a huge problem for me only if it’s bad CGI is when I get annoyed by it, but MAPPA is one of the best when it comes to putting it into shows, so yeah I’m excited to see how it ends.

Casshern Sins 8/10 - This was an older series that just seemed really intriguing to me and it was really good. Definitely out there, but the world they created in the series was very interesting and very depressing with the Ruin taking over the world. Super weird if your into those type of series.

Higurashi: When They Cry - Gou 7/10 - I am a huge fan of the Higurashi series for its unsettling nature throughout the whole
series. At first everyone thought this was just going to be a remake of the original series in 2007 which seemed weird but I didn’t mind, but as it turned out it’s a continuation of the old series. So after binging through the 1st two
seaons, I finally finished this one and it’s a little bit less good than the 1st two seasons, but in the end it’s still more of what I love about the series as a whole. If your a fan of horror definitely check out the whole
Higurashi series.

The Great Pretender 7/10 - Overall a pretty fun series the only thing that kinda is bad IMO is the ending seemed very out of no where and didn’t explain why these certain characters are back and good now. Don’t wanna spoil it but it definitely bothered me lol, but man the animation team did really good with the series it was so good visually.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? 6/10 - A fun comedy with an overpowered character who doesn’t think he’s overpowered, only minus for the series is a certain character in his harem of girls who is easily the most annoying character I’ve seen in my small anime library. I’m sure if you watch it you’ll know who I’m talking about lol

Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 5/10 - Don’t got a whole lot to say about this show, the premise is fine, I think it’s okay, the last episode was a little bit disappointing since it’s pretty much just setting up stuff for the light novel so you don’t get a “real” ending so I probably won’t remember much of this show at all. Main character was pretty good.

Adachi and Shimura 5/10 - This was my first Yuri show and man was it borrrring, it’s a lot of “Well I like her, but I won’t tell her” type deal for 12 episodes, the biggest plus for this show though was the animation was really good which definitely helped cause if it looked crappy I doubt I would’ve finished, so overall it was eh.

The Promised Neverland S2 4/10 - I recommend if you watch the Promised Neverland S1, just imagine a better ending in your head than watching S2. Just a super disappointing season I really don’t know why they chose to just go original with just skipping a bunch of stuff just so they can fit 100+ chapters of material into 11 episodes, so yeah just pretend this doesn’t exist.

Still gotta finish Jujutsu Kaisen, and I’m behind a few shows in Winter. Re: Zero S2 part 2, Horimiya, Mushoku Tensei, and Otherside Picnic (Which I probably won’t finish).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Here’s some shows that I watched during the winter season

Wonder Egg Priority 10/10 - Although this series does not have the ending episode coming out until late June, it has become one of my favorites of all time. With the subject matter it deals with and with the great characters it has along with one of the best episodes in anime history IMO in episode 11, I’m really hyped for the finale.

Beastars S2 10/10 - I’m a big fan of season one and I read the manga so I pretty much knew what was going to happen this season and it’s just more of what you love, with some new characters added, and a deeper look into Legoshi, and Louis’ character. I’m really hoping Netflix continues to make the series, also don’t ask me how I watched this :P

Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 1 8/10 - I guess this is pretty much my whole review of Attack on Titan as a series, so I think it’s a really good anime throughout, it does have issues in having lots of episodes of just talking which I’m not very huge on, but the characters are what make this show so good. Watching Eren develop into one of the best main protagonists has been really fun after watching 70+ episodes of him, and all the side characters are really good as well. MAPPA did a good job taking over the series IMO, CGI isn’t a huge problem for me only if it’s bad CGI is when I get annoyed by it, but MAPPA is one of the best when it comes to putting it into shows, so yeah I’m excited to see how it ends.

Casshern Sins 8/10 - This was an older series that just seemed really intriguing to me and it was really good. Definitely out there, but the world they created in the series was very interesting and very depressing with the Ruin taking over the world. Super weird if your into those type of series.

Higurashi: When They Cry - Gou 7/10 - I am a huge fan of the Higurashi series for its unsettling nature throughout the whole
series. At first everyone thought this was just going to be a remake of the original series in 2007 which seemed weird but I didn’t mind, but as it turned out it’s a continuation of the old series. So after binging through the 1st two
seaons, I finally finished this one and it’s a little bit less good than the 1st two seasons, but in the end it’s still more of what I love about the series as a whole. If your a fan of horror definitely check out the whole
Higurashi series.

The Great Pretender 7/10 - Overall a pretty fun series the only thing that kinda is bad IMO is the ending seemed very out of no where and didn’t explain why these certain characters are back and good now. Don’t wanna spoil it but it definitely bothered me lol, but man the animation team did really good with the series it was so good visually.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? 6/10 - A fun comedy with an overpowered character who doesn’t think he’s overpowered, only minus for the series is a certain character in his harem of girls who is easily the most annoying character I’ve seen in my small anime library. I’m sure if you watch it you’ll know who I’m talking about lol

Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 5/10 - Don’t got a whole lot to say about this show, the premise is fine, I think it’s okay, the last episode was a little bit disappointing since it’s pretty much just setting up stuff for the light novel so you don’t get a “real” ending so I probably won’t remember much of this show at all. Main character was pretty good.

Adachi and Shimura 5/10 - This was my first Yuri show and man was it borrrring, it’s a lot of “Well I like her, but I won’t tell her” type deal for 12 episodes, the biggest plus for this show though was the animation was really good which definitely helped cause if it looked crappy I doubt I would’ve finished, so overall it was eh.

The Promised Neverland S2 4/10 - I recommend if you watch the Promised Neverland S1, just imagine a better ending in your head than watching S2. Just a super disappointing season I really don’t know why they chose to just go original with just skipping a bunch of stuff just so they can fit 100+ chapters of material into 11 episodes, so yeah just pretend this doesn’t exist.

Still gotta finish Jujutsu Kaisen, and I’m behind a few shows in Winter. Re: Zero S2 part 2, Horimiya, Mushoku Tensei, and Otherside Picnic (Which I probably won’t finish).

I really enjoyed Horimiya, and also have to get caught up on Re: Zero S2 part 2. I also gave up on Promised Neverland S2.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
AoT was never that good, I watched the show and right where the anime stops for the manga to finish just seemed like a 180 change of plot/directions that didn't make any sense to original pilot episode. Not that I ever loved it, but you had a lot of interesting mysterious and suspense dynamics of where the creatures came from. Warning spoilers ahead! Finding out that it was your rival nation sending them is one of the bigger buzz-kill moments I've witnessed recently in any form of entertainment. I suggest that it's a show/manga that needs a lot of episodes to draw out the total elements of the plot/world/whatever, so I am surprised the bloke is ending it this early.

I thought that the movie on Netflix was a continuation of the story?
I take the movie on Netflix as a stand-alone/OVA story during the actually setting of the show. The movie that was recently released is a progression of the storyline. If it's already been released on DVD in Japan, pretty sure you can find a stream of it somewhere (not that I have looked for one yet).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
AoT was never that good, I watched the show and right where the anime stops for the manga to finish just seemed like a 180 change of plot/directions that didn't make any sense to original pilot episode. Not that I ever loved it, but you had a lot of interesting mysterious and suspense dynamics of where the creatures came from. Warning spoilers ahead! Finding out that it was your rival nation sending them is one of the bigger buzz-kill moments I've witnessed recently in any form of entertainment. I suggest that it's a show/manga that needs a lot of episodes to draw out the total elements of the plot/world/whatever, so I am surprised the bloke is ending it this early.
Nah, Attack on Titan was extremely good and was asspull free. One of the rare anime with an actual logical progression. The reveal was extremely good. Much better than the usual idiotic demon god that wants to purge humanity or some crap. In fact the ending of season 3 "If we kill everyone over there, will we finally be free?" was a gut punch.

However, with all that said, its definitely slipped in season 4 and veered into that territory with some of the reveals. Though I'm kind of super salty because I got hit with a major season 4 part 2 spoiler in a group chat.

Though man there are so many trash manga/anime now. Its actually like 100 times worse than the height of the isekai era because now theres so many trash manwha adaptations where its just some overpowered character that is super charming and flawless and better than everyone and for some weird reason theres a "system" in place where everyone has a level and HP and nobody explains it, they're not in a videogame or anything, real life people just have HP and level and its just how it is.

Like the only good new anime I've seen in the last 5 years are Demon Slayer, The Saga of Evil Tanya, and Attack on Titan. There just isn't that many good anime anymore.

Vinland Saga, Dororo and Promised Neverland were good too forgot about that.

Dont get me started on all the trash Netflix anime. I dont know what they're thinking over there. I still can't figure out how that weird underaged "romance" (if you can call it that) series Cagaster of the Insect Cage got made. Not to mention Seven Deadly Sins, where literally every main character has an extremely problematic romantic relationship (and I'm no SJW believe me). Netflix seems to have a tendency for that stuff.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nah, Attack on Titan was extremely good and was asspull free. One of the rare anime with an actual logical progression. The reveal was extremely good. Much better than the usual idiotic demon god that wants to purge humanity or some crap. In fact the ending of season 3 "If we kill everyone over there, will we finally be free?" was a gut punch.

However, with all that said, its definitely slipped in season 4 and veered into that territory with some of the reveals. Though I'm kind of super salty because I got hit with a major season 4 part 2 spoiler in a group chat.

Though man there are so many trash manga/anime now. Its actually like 100 times worse than the height of the isekai era because now theres so many trash manwha adaptations where its just some overpowered character that is super charming and flawless and better than everyone and for some weird reason theres a "system" in place where everyone has a level and HP and nobody explains it, they're not in a videogame or anything, real life people just have HP and level and its just how it is.

Like the only good new anime I've seen in the last 5 years are Demon Slayer, The Saga of Evil Tanya, and Attack on Titan. There just isn't that many good anime anymore.

Vinland Saga, Dororo and Promised Neverland were good too forgot about that.

Dont get me started on all the trash Netflix anime. I dont know what they're thinking over there. I still can't figure out how that weird underaged "romance" (if you can call it that) series Cagaster of the Insect Cage got made. Not to mention Seven Deadly Sins, where literally every main character has an extremely problematic romantic relationship (and I'm no SJW believe me). Netflix seems to have a tendency for that stuff.
Yeah I dropped Seven Deadly Sins, so many anime cliches that it made my head explode (plus it wasn't that interesting of a story). I think it depends on what type of genre you're into, I mentioned it previous ago in this thread but a lot of the best animes' coming out now are romance types; like Love is War is one of the best I've ever seen. Then, Devil Is a Part Timer is finally getting a season two and Dreaming of My Senpai in a Random Bunny Girl Outfit so Lets Make This Title Super Long and Random is also lit (reminds me a lot of Stein's Gate). I also haven't watched it yet, but The Way of the Househusband is getting a lot of positive reviews (not sure what it's about). Knights of Sidonia is another top notch anime as well IMHO, but it takes like five years for a new season due to the animation.

Romance and superheroes are pretty much the fad now like Gundam was in the 90s and Dragonball creating a million adventures such as HxH in the early 2000s. That doesn't mean they're bad; One-Punch, Boku no Hero, and Mob Psycho are all awesome in their own unique way (Mob is probably my favourite of that list).

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I think AOT’s last stretch just feels rushed both in the anime and the manga. Kinda like GOT but not anywhere near as bad.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've finally watched Perfect Blue. What a f***ing trip.

717440addc8f90cea17e893a312a2073e1fb74e2_hq.gif

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't read a single page, but I hear that Chainsaw Man has been one of the most popular mangas in Japan. Well, MAPPA studios are making the manga into an anime (no release date yet). Not sure how good MAPPA is, but they did produce Yuri on Ice!!! and Attack of Titan: Final Season (haven't seen either).

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I haven't read a single page, but I hear that Chainsaw Man has been one of the most popular mangas in Japan. Well, MAPPA studios are making the manga into an anime (no release date yet). Not sure how good MAPPA is, but they did produce Yuri on Ice!!! and Attack of Titan: Final Season (haven't seen either).

If you like battle shonen it's probably one of the higher quality titles you are going to see. Good mix of over the top gore/action and actually well done character development with an interesting world. Mangaka has also written Fire Punch which is also pretty highly rated though I haven't read it yet.

MAPPA has some notable titles like Jujutsu Kaisen which got plenty of praise for it's animation but they also have adaptions like Dorohedoro whose full CG adaption still felt below what a 2D adaption could have achieved depending on the quality. Still pretty high quality for the standards of the industry though.

It's where a lot of the former Madhouse employees migrated to and they are one of the biggest anime studios out there right now. I have heard there are a lot of freelancers interested in CSM so hopefully we get a 2D series with uses of 3D to help the 2D animation. They very much could do the series justice but we will have to see PV is expected to come out in late June for MAPPA's anniversary event.

Reactions: S E P H

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I’ve read a solid amount like 50 chapters, it’s really fun, the story is really dumb but I think since MAPPA is really good at making action type anime’s they’ll do a solid job with the material. I think though people might be surprised if Chainsaw Man goes into a Dorohedoro route of being full CGI since MAPPA also did that anime as well, but I really liked Dorohedoro so I wouldn’t mind.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To me personally, the best action anime I've ever watched (though I haven't watch a ton lately) have been Fate/Stay Night: UBW and Knights of Sidonia. Based on some google search, Unlimited Blade Works was made by Ufotable and KoS was made by Polygon Pictures. Would you lot say that MAPPA is just as good? @SecretOilersFan did mention the studio was made by ex-Madhouse employees and Madhouse is one of the best animation studios in the world at the moment IMO.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
To me personally, the best action anime I've ever watched (though I haven't watch a ton lately) have been Fate/Stay Night: UBW and Knights of Sidonia. Based on some google search, Unlimited Blade Works was made by Ufotable and KoS was made by Polygon Pictures. Would you lot say that MAPPA is just as good? @SecretOilersFan did mention the studio was made by ex-Madhouse employees and Madhouse is one of the best animation studios in the world at the moment IMO.
I would recommend looking up clips of some Jujutsu Kaisen, God of High School fights to see some badass scenes by MAPPA. Those 2 shows easily have some of the best fights I’ve seen since One Punch Man which was made by Madhouse. I definitely think MAPPA is the best studio to handle the absolute crazy, bloody fights in Chainsaw Man whether they do it in the style of Dorohedoro or Jujutsu Kaisen.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

I will say one reason I said they are basically new Madhouse is they took all their talent lol. Madhouse has declined because most of their talent did migrate to other studios mainly being MAPPA and a few others like NUT, VOLN and some others I don't remember I think some went off to Bones too? They still do make good series like Chihayafuru S3 and A Place Further Than The Universe but they aren't like what they were in the 90's and 2000's. Redline and other business decisions really hurt them.

That said yeah like @ViktorBaeArvidsson pointed out their animation can be very good when it wants to be. Ufotable is probably one of the absolute peak studios right now at doing action but MAPPA would be in a similar conversation on some of their works. Main reason I wasn't that upset with the studio choice though again depends on the scheduling. They are becoming one of the work horse studios for the industry right now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Well, this f***in sucks. RIP. Lotsa people won't know it but Berserk influenced a lot of dark fantasy stuff just in general.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I’ve been catching up on “86” I’m only 4 episodes in so still pretty far behind, but man the premise is really good. I’ve always been a fan of tanks and these spider looking mecha’s in the show are really fun to watch. The world building has been solid so far, same with the characters and I’m definitely excited to see where it goes since it’s a 2 cour show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad