TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Found a stream for Gintama: The Final movie and watched that the other day. Wasn't too bad and even though I don't normally read nor care for the manga, I found myself reading the final arc (which the movie is based off of) and I much prefer it compared to the movie. The opening sequence is hilarious for the movie, but they cut a lot of the opening chapters out to focus majority of it on the final fight. The ending is also pretty damn plain, (Spoilers) as the manga artist introduced all these interesting characters and none of them really amount to anything substantial. Maybe I am expecting the manga/show to be something it was not (I understand it was a comedy foremost), but considering some the serious arcs that took place I am a bit shocked that absolutely nothing happens and that was a let down (like too many Gorilla jokes, no romantic interest, no character build up, no changes in storyline).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I started watching The Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime and am now caught up, really enjoying this series so far. It brings back a lot of found memories of playing JRPGs, and I like that there's a lot of world building (both from a story perspective, but actually building a town/city as well).

Have also been watching 86 and really liking that as well. It reminds me a bit of Gundam IBO, but with better execution of some elements. Sounds like Season 2 should be coming, so that's exciting.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Have also been watching 86 and really liking that as well. It reminds me a bit of Gundam IBO, but with better execution of some elements. Sounds like Season 2 should be coming, so that's exciting.

Season 2 started last week.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

Episode 01 was out yesterday

New Visual
FBHgKi3X0AgpEvb

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Netflix's typesetting setup doesn't work well for sign heavy stuff like Komi. It's weird to me how fansubs 15 years ago had better typesetting than every streaming service these days does.

Last edited:
Reactions: SecretOilersFan

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I had no idea this thread existed. I’m about 21 episodes through Attack on Titan. Loving it so far, though the titans are hard to take serious

CogNoman

Mar 15, 2011
Montreal, now.
I’m about 21 episodes through Attack on Titan. Loving it so far, though the titans are hard to take serious
Yeah, I heard somewhere that the author said that the titans are somewhat based on/inspired by "drunk people". So some of them are definitely a bit goofy heh.
But yeah, Attack On Titan is great. Try your best to not google anything or watch any YouTube videos or ANYTHING about Attack On Titan. There's still a lot of big spoilers ahead, and since the show is so popular, it can be pretty hard to avoid them on the internet. But try your best to avoid spoilers.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I guess will just ask if anyone is watching some older classics of late? Been watching Future Boy Conan for the first time and it's been a pretty fun adventure story. Definitely one of the best animated 70's anime I have seen.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
takt already crediting *30* animation directors on episode 4. Show is already on fire production-wise. Please don't let MAPPA collapse before Chainsaw Man comes out.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

Spy x Family first PV collaboration work between WITxCloverworks. Pretty excited as a fan of the manga from the very beginning. Very good mix of action, comedy, SOL elements and some light romance. 2022 is looking pretty loaded when it comes to sequels and adaptions of famous manga.

Reactions: oil Leaks

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
One Piece kind of a childhood guilty pleasure of mine and I still like it up to around Water 7. How anybody can like the current version of it (manga or anime) is beyond me though as the show lost pretty much all of its humor, creativity and charme in the process. What I find puzzling is that most of the fandom thinks its just as good as always or at least not to far off, when its clear that the current iteration is not even a shadow of its former self. I for myself prefer to keep the series in good memory and maybe rewatch some of the older story arcs once in a while, to seeing it die an agonizing death. But I understand people who want to see it through after so much invested time over the years...
This is what honestly kills me. Like its so stupid and they act like its absolute genius.

Like one of the plot reveals is that the island raftel is actually "laugh tale" because what roger saw when he got back on the ship was so funny he had tears in his eyes. Theres now allusions that both Luffy and Roger were the reincarnations of a person literally named JoyBoy

People lose their minds praising this stuff. Thats not even mentioning how Haki has surpassed my expectations and gotten even dumber.

Reactions: Speyer

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
This is what honestly kills me. Like its so stupid and they act like its absolute genius.

Like one of the plot reveals is that the island raftel is actually "laugh tale" because what roger saw when he got back on the ship was so funny he had tears in his eyes. Theres now allusions that both Luffy and Roger were the reincarnations of a person literally named JoyBoy

People lose their minds praising this stuff. Thats not even mentioning how Haki has surpassed my expectations and gotten even dumber.

I am not up do date with the current story and world building developments but that short spoiler convinced me in my opinion that its maybe better that way. One thing that I liked about Luffy as character early on was, that he didn't fit the overdone "chosen one" trope like the protagonists of so many similar stories. But it seems like Oda is steering it pretty much in that direction now...

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Man been a while since I posted here. Watched a lot of great stuff this year. Re attempted JoJo's and am all caught up and excited for more Stone Ocean. This season I've been watching My Senpai Is Annoying, World's Finest Assassin, Mushoku Tensei, World Trigger S3. Slowly watching others like Irina Vampire, Sakugan, takt op and Platinum End. The others have been fire all the way through.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Man been a while since I posted here. Watched a lot of great stuff this year. Re attempted JoJo's and am all caught up and excited for more Stone Ocean. This season I've been watching My Senpai Is Annoying, World's Finest Assassin, Mushoku Tensei, World Trigger S3. Slowly watching others like Irina Vampire, Sakugan, takt op and Platinum End. The others have been fire all the way through.

I started World's Finest Assassin kind of blind and not sure what to expect but I've really been digging it. All the little goddess vignettes they slip in are great. Also that opening is straight fire, as the kids say.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The anime adaptation of the final arc of Bleach finally starts next October.

Spy x Family starts in April.

On top of their three hundred other projects, MAPPA is doing a Jigokuraku adaptation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Spy x Family looks really good. Also hyped about Bleach, but really hope they give the time for the final arc. Normally, I have found is when they do these reboots, they tend to try to stuff everything at once in these episodes and turns out to feel mega rushed in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad