WWE: GDT: Wrestlemania 39

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I hope you're right but I just don't see it capturing the magical type of crowd reaction it seemed to be getting at Wrestlemania.
Summerslam is at Ford Field in Detroit this summer so it will have a Wrestlemania size crowd. It will have an amazing atmosphere also and be worth the wait…..

Reactions: Megahab

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It will mean more in the long run cause had he won at Wrestlemania it would have been pushing him to the top way too soon and I think he would have become another Cena or Roman that the fans get sick of and turn on the baby face. This way the story grows with a long term booking and the payoff becomes way better. Roman being this close to 1000 days as champion is something that had to happen cause he’s so close. Beating a guy who’s been champ for over 1000 days just sounds better

He's the son of a true wrestling legend. He's an industry veteran who was told by WWE he was a B-lister. So rather than mire in the mid-card he left, started the first true rival wrestling organization in 20 years, turned himself into a star, and then returned to win the one title his dad never did and the one title that would prove he was right to bet on himself. People act like he didn't have a lifetime of story going into Wrestlemania. He could not possibly have had more of backstory.

Saying it'll mean more "later" is insane. Summerslam is not WrestleMania and never will be. They botched it. They will never be able to recreate that opportunity.

Imagine if they didn't give Daniel Bryan the win at XXX. All the same people defending this decision would be making the same arguments back then, and they all would have been just as wrong.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Summerslam is at Ford Field in Detroit this summer so it will have a Wrestlemania size crowd. It will have an amazing atmosphere also and be worth the wait…..
True but I just don't think the story will mean as much anymore.

I'm still hoping Sami is the guy to end the reign.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
He's the son of a true wrestling legend. He's an industry veteran who was told by WWE he was a B-lister. So rather than mire in the mid-card he left, started the first true rival wrestling organization in 20 years, turned himself into a star, and then returned to win the one title his dad never did and the one title that would prove he was right to bet on himself. People act like he didn't have a lifetime of story going into Wrestlemania. He could not possibly have had more of backstory.

Saying it'll mean more "later" is insane. Summerslam is not WrestleMania and never will be. They botched it. They will never be able to recreate that opportunity.

Imagine if they didn't give Daniel Bryan the win at XXX. All the same people defending this decision would be making the same arguments back then, and they all would have been just as wrong.
Cody Rhodes is not Daniel Bryan. The DB story happened organically over time which is what made it so good and worthy of a WM win. In a WWE timeline Cody went from Stardust, gone for years, a few matches with Seth Rollins, gone for 7 months, wins the rumble at number 30, a couple matches and then is expected to beat Roman for the tile because my daddy is Dusty Rhodes. The WWE needs to build him up way more before a world title

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Cody Rhodes is not Daniel Bryan. The DB story happened organically over time which is what made it so good and worthy of a WM win. Cody went from Stardust, gone for years, a few matches with Seth Rollins, gone for 7 months, wins the rumble at number 30, a couple matches and then is expected to beat Roman for the tile because my daddy is Dusty Rhodes. The WWE needs to build him up way more before a world title

LOL

What happened during those years?

Did Cody Rhodes do anything to elevate himself to true wrestling stardom?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The reason it won’t mean as more is because Vince is writing the story. Not that they missed it. most of the same people evidently have seen 2 peaks in 2 months where they should’ve switched the title. Maybe the people doing the writing were just good at their jobs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Completely unrelated…

Edge seems to be on his final run. Smackdown is in Toronto this summer… he said he wants to retire in Toronto, do we think he has a retirement match this summer?
Just a hunch but I say he keeps going. He spent so long with the judgement day stuff. Have to think there’s still guys he wants to work. Unless he’s feeling too banged up.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Just a hunch but I say he keeps going. He spent so long with the judgement day stuff. Have to think there’s still guys he wants to work. Unless he’s feeling too banged up.
Possibly, for sure.

I think he will always be involved in the business, and honestly, he can still f***ing go in the ring. For his age, I’m not sure there’s anyone better than him in that regard.

I’m just basing this off of an interview, he said he wanted a send off in Toronto.

I definitely don’t think he needs to retire at all. He’s still awesome and believable.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Possibly, for sure.

I think he will always be involved in the business, and honestly, he can still f***ing go in the ring. For his age, I’m not sure there’s anyone better than him in that regard.

I’m just basing this off of an interview, he said he wanted a send off in Toronto.

I definitely don’t think he needs to retire at all. He’s still awesome and believable.

He can obviously still go, but has any wrestler ever looked more exhausted? His face looks like he hasn't slept in 37 years.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Possibly, for sure.

He's also 50, he knows it's time to pack it in and not stick around like Taker and Jericho.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Completely unrelated…

Edge seems to be on his final run. Smackdown is in Toronto this summer… he said he wants to retire in Toronto, do we think he has a retirement match this summer?
Yep. The question is who gets the honor? I wouldn't be surprised if he gives Finn the victory back. He seemed to enjoy working with Finn just based on his comments after Mania

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yep. The question is who gets the honor? I wouldn't be surprised if he gives Finn the victory back. He seemed to enjoy working with Finn just based on his comments after Mania
I’m thinking it could possibly be Orton too. Part of me thinks it might be someone younger, though.

I’d like to see Randy vs Edge as his farewell match.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m thinking it could possibly be Orton too. Part of me thinks it might be someone younger, though.

I’d like to see Randy vs Edge as his farewell match.
Makes sense. Legend killer, rated rko, there's enough there and enough respect between the two that it works. I would be ok with Orton as the guy, but does a younger talent have more to gain from it? And does "retiring" a guy even really mean anything these days?

I have never been a huge Edge fan but I agree with you that he doesn't HAVE TO retire now. He looks better than he ever has and still has the same believability from his younger days.

Well well well. Had a nice Facebook memory pop up

Attachments

• 820066AF-DDC1-44F6-9FA9-12FF36B10EF9.jpeg
    820066AF-DDC1-44F6-9FA9-12FF36B10EF9.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 2

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Makes sense. Legend killer, rated rko, there's enough there and enough respect between the two that it works. I would be ok with Orton as the guy, but does a younger talent have more to gain from it? And does "retiring" a guy even really mean anything these days?

I have never been a huge Edge fan but I agree with you that he doesn't HAVE TO retire now. He looks better than he ever has and still has the same believability from his younger days.

Well well well. Had a nice Facebook memory pop up
Ahhhhh, nice. I had a few pop up. Over the past week, haha.

Just looking for an excuse to go back. Such a great weekend of wrestling. I’m debating WM40 but I’m not sure if I’m better off waiting until 41 (hopefully we find out where that is soon) - Not sure if Philly is the place for a vacation. I usually take 10 days and spend a good 5-6 chilling out in the heat & sun, haha.

This one popped up for me haha…

19920CD0-624E-4179-B25C-E3567402E88E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ahhhhh, nice. I had a few pop up. Over the past week, haha.

Just looking for an excuse to go back. Such a great weekend of wrestling. I’m debating WM40 but I’m not sure if I’m better off waiting until 41 (hopefully we find out where that is soon) - Not sure if Philly is the place for a vacation. I usually take 10 days and spend a good 5-6 chilling out in the heat & sun, haha.

This one popped up for me haha…

View attachment 683423
Yeah I just spent a couple days in Philly last year. It's not good. The big draw for me is that I have a major thing about flying, so unless I REALLY have to get on a plane I don't do it. I can drive to Philly no problem.

I'm considering next year. I think if the boys decide to get a group together I would jump, but I won't push it. Sucks that it's two nights also. Almost forces you to buy both so you don't get hosed by going on the lesser card.

The WM I went to was largely a massive dud, but the journey was still quite an experience and I'd do it again no questions asked. I found out today we paid $125 to sit up in the heavens with God himself, but the view was totally fine. Tailgate crowd was amazing too. In the right city, with the right friends, it's a guaranteed good time. Especially if you get in on all the Indy shows that always come through.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah I just spent a couple days in Philly last year. It's not good. The big draw for me is that I have a major thing about flying, so unless I REALLY have to get on a plane I don't do it. I can drive to Philly no problem.

I'm considering next year. I think if the boys decide to get a group together I would jump, but I won't push it. Sucks that it's two nights also. Almost forces you to buy both so you don't get hosed by going on the lesser card.

The WM I went to was largely a massive dud, but the journey was still quite an experience and I'd do it again no questions asked. I found out today we paid $125 to sit up in the heavens with God himself, but the view was totally fine. Tailgate crowd was amazing too. In the right city, with the right friends, it's a guaranteed good time. Especially if you get in on all the Indy shows that always come through.
Selfishly, a big reason I like one night Wrestlemanias is that everything gets its own evening.

Smackdown Friday, HOF Saturday, WM Sunday, RAW Monday

I feel having the HOF after Smackdown kind of cheapens it a bit. It feels more Mickey Mouse than having it as it’s own event. I’ve gone to two HOF, and both times we’ve gone full shirt and tie, made it a nice evening. It just feels weird to be at the HOF in a random t-shirt and shorts haha.

That said, I’m definitely debating 40, if they announce the 41 location and it’s more intriguing, I might do that instead.

Reactions: TD Charlie

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tag title match and big meaty men triple threat both get 5 stars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad