GDT: GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers exit the playoffs in the most Steelers like way

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
As a serious comment, the Steelers are the 3rd best team in the AFC North going forward, which should terrify all Steelers fans. I'm not familiar with either the Ravens or the Browns cap situation, but if they're not losing a bunch of people this off-season, they're going to be better teams than the Steelers next year without the Steelers making big changes.
I'm not so sure you can say that. The Steelers still have tons of offensive talent, including plenty of young guys to keep them in games and I think the defense could improve without much work. The Ravens may fall off if people figure out Jackson - he wouldn't be the first flashy quarterback to start off his career hot and then cool off. And the Browns look good but if anyone knows how to ruin a team it's them.

I'm not saying the Steelers are next years favorites, but all three of those teams are close and all have big question marks.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
How haven’t teams figured out Jackson? The guy can barely formulate a sentence.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can't fire the whole team, but you sure as hell can fire the coach who's been a thorn in their side for some time now.

The list is too long.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not so sure you can say that. The Steelers still have tons of offensive talent, including plenty of young guys to keep them in games and I think the defense could improve without much work. The Ravens may fall off if people figure out Jackson - he wouldn't be the first flashy quarterback to start off his career hot and then cool off. And the Browns look good but if anyone knows how to ruin a team it's them.

I'm not saying the Steelers are next years favorites, but all three of those teams are close and all have big question marks.

I feel like the Steelers are way better on paper than they actually are on the field. Or rather, how good they are on the field depends solely on what team they're playing against. Unless they fire Tomlin, and firing Tomlin fixes their problems of playing down to bad teams, I don't see this changing going forward. The Steelers are a team that is a bad kicker away from missing the playoffs with how they currently play down to teams. Until that gets fixed, I don't care how good of a roster they have.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

The Browns and Ravens don’t have Tomlin and his crew of dumb shits coaching them. We are #3 in the division going into next season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeh....its Mike Tomlins fault Ben has thrown gamebreaking int's. Its also his fault backs and receivers fumble the ball in crucial situations. Its his fault Kevin Colbert didn't draft corners in the first round until Artie Burns. Its Mike Tomlin's fault they didn't give more attention to drafting inside linebackers after Shazier was hurt. So fire him......who are you bringing in who is GUARANTEED to win more games and get further in the playoffs?
Mike you're drunk, go focus on coaching.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Re the comment about blaming Bos, yes he was gawdawfuL this year...but last year he won like 4 straight on last min FGs...imagine if he hadn’t, we’d be likely second year missing POs.
I hope they don’t scape goat the guy, bad as he was this year. Much bigger fish to fire, I mean fry.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Not enough talk about how boswell basically cost us the playoffs in this thread. Tomlin is an idiot and needs to go, but just with ok kicking we would probably be in.

Reactions: orby

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Hey let’s give this team props for pulling out a huge three point win agt the Bengals when everything was on the line.... they fought and clawed agt um, that backup QB I never heard of throwing to that new starting receiver I never heard of... and they covered the ghost of Eifert to.

Debbie Downers.
Yep.

Kept Dalton in the sideline all day, made AJ Green invisible, kept Eifert to zero catches, and held Burfict in check!

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Like Cole says a lot about the Penguins culture before JR and Sully the Steelers are in a similar situation. This culture is rotten and the only way to fix it is a new regime. All we can do is pray!

Reactions: ColePens

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Not enough talk about how boswell basically cost us the playoffs in this thread. Tomlin is an idiot and needs to go, but just with ok kicking we would probably be in.
I get the Boswell blame, I do, but the reality is that THIS offensive team shouldn’t have been in positions to need game winning and game tying FGs against shitty teams...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Re the comment about blaming Bos, yes he was gawdawfuL this year...but last year he won like 4 straight on last min FGs...imagine if he hadn’t, we’d be likely second year missing POs.
I hope they don’t scape goat the guy, bad as he was this year. Much bigger fish to fire, I mean fry.

Lol

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep.

Kept Dalton in the sideline all day, made AJ Green invisible, kept Eifert to zero catches, and held Burfict in check!

Forgot Burfict was hurt to. They were missing a top corner also.

Basically played their JV team with everything on the line...

Such an inspiring win.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So now the defense for Tomlin is that Steelers fans have unrealistic expectations?

Again, if your defense for a coach doing a good job is anything but saying how he's doing a good job, he's not doing a good job.

Reactions: KIRK

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I get the Boswell blame, I do, but the reality is that THIS offensive team shouldn’t have been in positions to need game winning and game tying FGs against ****ty teams...

Agree.
We turtled on both sides of the ball when we had leads.
Stopped press and blitz and played soft on D.
Stopped attacking on O.
Many games should have been out of reach and instead we had to hope the D wouldn’t fold.

Why in the h*ll Tomlin is viewed as an aggressive coach escapes me. He does dumbazz calls from time to time that could be called aggressive, or stupid.

But he plays not to lose on both sides of the ball too often. For years.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the Steelers either beat or should’ve beaten 4 out of the top or so 6 teams in the league. That’s why people here have expectations

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I feel like the Steelers are way better on paper than they actually are on the field. Or rather, how good they are on the field depends solely on what team they're playing against. Unless they fire Tomlin, and firing Tomlin fixes their problems of playing down to bad teams, I don't see this changing going forward. The Steelers are a team that is a bad kicker away from missing the playoffs with how they currently play down to teams. Until that gets fixed, I don't care how good of a roster they have.
They were also an average kicker away from not being in this situation and going to the playoffs.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The Browns and Ravens don’t have Tomlin and his crew of dumb ****s coaching them. We are #3 in the division going into next season.

It's not even just the coaching, its how the players are drafted and developed under Tomlin that has also caught up to this team. I suspect Tomlin fails in this too. He may have a knack for drafting the best players but he still has to make sure they are developed and put in the best position to succeed.

I don't feel like the draft matters anymore until they rid of this cancer

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Did Cleveland choke that game so the Steelers wouldn’t get in? Just heard some talking head on nfl network say that...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Tomlin alone cost the Steelers the Chargers,Broncos,Saints,and Raiders game.

Stopped running the ball vs Den and LA.

Didn't put Ben in vs OAK

Steven Ridley got a crucial 3rd and 2 handoff vs NO. Lol. He is not a good coach in High school.

Reactions: KIRK

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
So what is there to look forward to next year? Tomlin will be back looking like a deer in headlights and Butler will spend all off-season gameplanning for Tony Gonzalez. What is there? The Browns and Ravens are well positioned for next year.

The only optimism I have for next year is maybe using that Bell money for something useful. But by August it'll all evaporate to extend veterans and we'll get stuck with some marginal signings to beef up our bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad