GDT: Game of Thrones Episode 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It was a parlay. I guess you could argue why Cersei would adhere to the rules of a parlay, but part of her plan seems to be to paint Dany as a crazy foreign usurper, so maybe she felt following the rules makes her look more dignified.

She wouldn't. The scene was created purely for dramatic purposes. Logically it's completely idiotic to line yourselves up in front of weapons that just killed a dragon and took out part of your fleet, parley or not. And it would have been entirely in Cersei's character to just wipe them all out.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't care at all about the Starbucks cup, and cynical me assumes that was paid for so that everyone would spend the week talking about it, but I did hate was that King's Landing suddenly looks like Qarth. What happened to the hilly terrain, forests, and grassland surrounding the city?

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The CGI on Rhaegal getting shot was pretty awesome tho, when it went through his neck I was like yooooo

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I don't care at all about the Starbucks cup, and cynical me assumes that was paid for so that everyone would spend the week talking about it, but I did hate was that King's Landing suddenly looks like Qarth. What happened to the hilly terrain, forests, and grassland surrounding the city?

Paid for some CGI...

They leveled it while building the Ballistas.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
She wouldn't. The scene was created purely for dramatic purposes. Logically it's completely idiotic to line yourselves up in front of weapons that just killed a dragon and took out part of your fleet, parley or not. And it would have been entirely in Cersei's character to just wipe them all out.

Sure. Logically it's stupid for the villain to monologue instead of simply killing the hero, but they still do it. Stuff like this isn't going to change. It can get tiring, absolutely, but what are you gonna do? It's TV stuff.

The scene conveyed that Cersei doesn't hate Tyrion as much as she thinks she does or at least showing restraint and to show Dany's continued descent into madness from Missandei's execution. On those fronts, I think the scene succeeded.

You are right about logic. But you can tear apart nearly everything when applying logic. I don't get hung up on things like that.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
D&D: "How do we cut down the CGI budget for the last two battles?"

Ah **** it, snipe the injured dragon from the sky.

Can you imagine if that was it? "We don't have the budget to CGI a bunch of ships and more projectiles so make em count!" Things certainly do feel smaller. The lead up to the Night King battle seemed to be the only time they CGIed actual armies. Ever since then it's just felt not big or grand in scale.

The range on those things is bullshit either way but there would be a lot less to complain about if there were more ships, all of them shooting a volley that you saw on screen. Instead we get a little more than a dozen ships and 3 perfect shots.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
CGI budget might be part of the reason, but Rhaegal's death contributes to Dany's descent, and it levels the playing field for the upcoming battle. It's funny to say the producers wanted to go the Sheeva route though. It wouldn't be the first time. Direwolves and whatnot.

Reactions: tacogeoff

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oof even my girl Lindsay Ellis is going off on Twitter about this season.

Yeah, this thing with directors nowadays aiming to subvert expectations is absurd because they feel they have to not only subvert the obvious, but every reasonable fan theory, so you end up with a cluster****.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It’s not CGI budget, it’s just terrible writing at this point or maybe directing. They fail to capture these moments in a way that seems logical.

If we don’t have a flashback to Bran and Jon explaining who Jon is; they have robbed the audience of another great scene. I can only hope they discussed alternatives to Dany ruling

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah, this thing with directors nowadays aiming to subvert expectations is absurd because they feel they have to not only subvert the obvious, but every reasonable fan theory, so you end up with a cluster****.

Sure seems like one is correct. I remember reading theories years ago along the lines of what's gone down so far.

It definitely wasn't a popular theory though. :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

They cleared it to build all those scorpions and maybe reenforce the fleet.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
CGI budget might be part of the reason, but Rhaegal's death contributes to Dany's descent, and it levels the playing field for the upcoming battle

Killing off Rhaegal is fine.

That scene is just bad. Really bad.

It's so bad, I want to give D&D the benefit of the doubt and assume they ran out of CGI monies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

That's genius.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It was a parlay. I guess you could argue why Cersei would adhere to the rules of a parlay, but part of her plan seems to be to paint Dany as a crazy foreign usurper, so maybe she felt following the rules makes her look more dignified.

As opposed to how she's currently seen, as the brother f***ing(since shes not hiding that anymore), kinslaying Queen with no legitimate claim to the throne who shamefully walked naked in front of thousands, now walks around with a giant zombie and named a fallen Maester as her hand. Remember when the crowd basically ate the Grand Septon for being fat ? And blindly followed the other one for being righteous ? But seeing as blowing up the Sept of Baelor apparently has no consequence, I can see how that can work. Apparently, literally everyone with the power to oppose her died there. So now, she needs to look dignified for... who exactly ? She's been the architect of some very public and gruesome atrocities. Who would even care if she told them Daenerys was the one who broke the parlay.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Arya. Every time.

She's still gonna take out the hound, as a mercy kill at the end of the Clegane Bowl! :nod:
Which leaves only Cersei and the Mountain on her list [Payne was written off the show I believe]
She won't make the same mistake as the other guy did by gloating over her victory.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Arya is going to kill the Mountain just to piss the Hound off. The Hound is the one character who can't get no satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad