GDT: Game of Thrones Episode 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
A good example of how the discourse gets exhausting is how many people are STILL *****ing that Jon didn’t pet Ghost.

And it isn’t an attempt to say the show is perfect or dumb stuff doesn’t happen. Euron sucks. I have no intention or desire to defend Euron, but how many different ways can we rehash the fact that Euron sucks?

Yeah, Euron is a cartoon character and everything a subsect of fans have called Arya the past couple weeks. I don't get the need to point it out every time he shows up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It is just wearisome to be someone who is mostly enjoying this and just wants to discuss it. Especially on Reddit, where it’s become a giant salt mine.

I get Euron sucks, and sure lol a coffee cup was in a shot, but I much rather be discussing Dany’s heel turn, Jon’s misery, what is Jamie going to do, then the damn scorpions.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and obviously this isn’t perfect, but a lot of people want to go full Cinemasins and pick apart every mistake over and over and over and over. Then on reddit (it doesn’t really happen on this forum thankfully) you get insulted for liking it being called a mindless pleb or a shownly.

There is only two episodes left of my favorite show and I am exhausted. I’ll try and do a better job respecting those who don’t like it, but I hope that is returned for us folks that are.
Is there a worst youtube channel (except for alt right/MRA stuff)?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What are some positive developments for you this season?

The battle of Winterfell was extremely well done. I haven’t felt that tense watching something in a long time.

The score has been fantastic. The acting has been top notch this season. Even the weaker actors like Kit and Emilia are bringing their A games.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
What are some positive developments for you this season?
I really enjoyed the Tyrion/Varys scenes.

The Battle of Winterfell was beautifully shot and intense (storytelling was weak).

I very much enjoyed the episode before The Battle of Winterfell.

Jon/Dany conflict has been interesting.

Sansa has become a good character after being one of the weakest (imo) for the majority of the seasons.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A good example of how the discourse gets exhausting is how many people are STILL *****ing that Jon didn’t pet Ghost.

And it isn’t an attempt to say the show is perfect or dumb stuff doesn’t happen. Euron sucks. I have no intention or desire to defend Euron, but how many different ways can we rehash the fact that Euron sucks?

Why wouldn't we talk about how much Euron sucks? He's been forced on us as a major character!

Reactions: I am not exposed

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
The battle of Winterfell was extremely well done. I haven’t felt that tense watching something in a long time.

The score has been fantastic. The acting has been top notch this season. Even the weaker actors like Kit and Emilia are bringing their A games.

I was focusing on characters, but the cinematography has been top notch, especially in the battle of Winterfell. The score when the Night King approached Bran was also spectacular.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Sansa's tutelage under Cersei, Tyrion, and Littlefinger reaching new heights. She is the new Littlefinger.

Arya staying true to herself.

The whole Jon/Dany issue has been very well done.
Sansa by far has the best, most complete arc in the show. I do think episode 4 kind of screwed it up a bit by kind of laying it all so bare - basically we know why Sansa is how she is now - we saw it, and rehashing that being raped made her stronger is just... unnecessary.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Sansa by far has the best, most complete arc in the show. I do think episode 4 kind of screwed it up a bit by kind of laying it all so bare - basically we know why Sansa is how she is now - we saw it, and rehashing that being raped made her stronger is just... unnecessary.

I 100% agree with everything you just said.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He either becomes a miserable king, gets killed by Dany, or yeah he decides to just go beyond the wall for the rest of his days.

I think Jon going north with the free folk is the closest thing to a happy ending that he can get.

I am thinking Jon and Dany both die. Tyrion and Sansa become the power duo......at least that's what I want to see happen lol.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

That scene was troublsome but I think I sort of get where it was coming from. Like she was trying to assuage some of Sandor’s guilt for not taking her away from KL, not so much as saying she was happy she got raped and became the woman she grew into.

But I sort of agree rehashing it wasn’t really needed.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
It’s up there, but I don’t think the original point was to take it as seriously as people do. It has created a subset of fans that have to point out every minor inconsistency in literally everything. It isn’t unique to Game of Thrones

An example is how Bronn just showed up. It was after the gigantic battle. Maybe they let him in. Maybe he snuck in because everyone was busy celebrating. Why do we need to know exactly how and why everything happens? We used to be able to simply connect dots in our heads. Now everything is a plot hole.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
An example is how Bronn just showed up. It was after the gigantic battle. Maybe they let him in. Maybe he snuck in because everyone was busy celebrating. Why do we need to know exactly how and why everything happens? We used to be able to simply connect dots in our heads. Now everything is a plot hole.

Come on now. It wasn’t Bronn showing up that was the issue. It was how it played out. It was slapstick.

Reactions: I am not exposed

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That scene was troublsome but I think I sort of get where it was coming from. Like she was trying to assuage some of Sandor’s guilt for not taking her away from KL, not so much as saying she was happy she got raped and became the woman she grew into.

But I sort of agree rehashing it wasn’t really needed.
I think it's clumsy storytelling - there are better ways to have that type of moment that isn't so uncomfortable and awkward.

I do love that the character that I probably hated the most in seasons 1-3ish? maybe 4? is now probably my favorite. And - let's put it out there - most of the positive developments in her character came after the availability of the source material.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Come on now. It wasn’t Bronn showing up that was the issue. It was how it played out. It was slapstick.

He just walked in like the Night King, through that giant hole in the wall. I would have liked to have seen his face as he sees how easy it is to walk around Winterfell with a crossbow, with everyone drunk off their ass.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Hopefully he dies a horrible death soon.
I mean, I'll put money on that. I don't think the finale is going to take a lot of bold storytelling steps. The bad guys are going to get theirs, some good guys are going to be sacrificed, yadda yadda yadda.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it's clumsy storytelling - there are better ways to have that type of moment that isn't so uncomfortable and awkward.

I do love that the character that I probably hated the most in seasons 1-3ish? maybe 4? is now probably my favorite. And - let's put it out there - most of the positive developments in her character came after the availability of the source material.

True. Sansa is still in the Vale doing a whole lot of nothing in the books at this point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He just walked in like the Night King, through that giant hole in the wall. I would have liked to have seen his face as he sees how easy it is to walk around Winterfell with a crossbow, with everyone drunk off their ass.

Wasn’t their an establishing shot that the brothers were in a tavern outside of the castle?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Also I think Theon is a contender for best arc on the show. Jamie could be up there as well depending on what happens next week.
So I think Theon's arc is a little overrated. It basically boils down to overconfident guy gets humbled big time. Which is fine - it's actually a character arc unlike some.

Jamie's is interesting a bit. I'll put some thought into it, but honestly in a lot of ways it's the same arc as Theon's. Which once again - not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->