Post-Game Talk: gdt for game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Reirden is a very different animal from Trotz. I mean he's not been shy about making big experiments on defense.

Maybe. Last season pre Kempny this was how the Caps used Djoos. Low minutes with Carlson and Oprik taking the important shifts.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Our defensive zone coverage was bad all game. We just got lucky that their passing was atrocious the first two periods so they could not take advantage of our breakdowns. Hopefully we look at the tape and learn from it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
All in all, it's only one game, gotta be happy with an injury-free win and just continue to work on things.
Canes gave them a good healthy scare, so it should be easier for Reirden to get his points across.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I'd bet things like the Backstrom-Kuz switch, Vrana back into top-6, etc, are the kinds of things we'll see very quickly once Reirden determines the offense needs a boost.

I think the moves are to make harder matchups for Carolina, and gives him logical moves to make later on if needed. Testing the waters, and seeing if he can win with his B lineup, before pulling out all the stops. I kind of like the fresh approach, but only because we won, duh.

Reactions: calicapsfan

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
And you know what, I don't think the Canes can. That makes me optimistic.

Mrazek, maybe can play better, but the Canes as a team, I thought they played they game they wanted to play.

Yea, I dont know if the Canes can keep that constant pressure energy up over a full 7 game series.. on top of getting hit over and over.

Would be tough for anyone

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’d roll with something like:

9-2
44-74
29-3

It’s only one game but Orpik played well and maybe Carolina is a good matchup for him. Occasionally bump 29 up to give Orpik some rest. By all means stop playing Carlson on his left side.

The encouraging thing was I thought Orlov looked solid all game. He was the only one really exiting the zone cleanly and generating pressure in transition. He’s going to have to continue that level of play with Kempny out.

Jun 15, 2007
I wasn't talking about the goals against except to say they happened. For some reason Reirden barely put him on the ice. Lets concentrate on that.
That's a circular argument if there ever was one.

The whole point is people are disagreeing with Reirden's handling of the defense.

Saying that limiting Djoos's minutes is correct because he was bad because why else would his minutes be limited is tautological.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Need to find ways to play the fourth line more and need to figure out d-pairs. That mix and match has to get annoying.

Not sure what more they can do with the d pairs. They cant put Orpik up for 20 mins as Carlson's partner. Otherwise they would. They keep his minutes down by playing Jenses some shifts there. I don't think they have a choice. They might use Seigenthaler instead but the basic rotation wont change

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I could be wrong but i think they were in the middle of a change there.

Very likely. What is the rule... do we think they were definitely told if you 2 end up together, stay on your wrong sides? It looked very suspect seeing both of them heading to their opposite sides, both a step behind their man.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's a circular argument if there ever was one.

The whole point is people are disagreeing with Reirden's handling of the defense.

Saying that limiting Djoos's minutes is correct because she was bad because why else would his minutes be limited is tautological.

I am saying Reirden knows defensemen and defense play. He is using a non typical rotation. He's not going to use Djoos as if he were Kempny and he cant plat Orpik that many minutes

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yea, I dont know if the Canes can keep that constant pressure energy up over a full 7 game series.. on top of getting hit over and over.

Would be tough for anyone

Agreed.

I just hope people don't get to worried about the amount of time the Canes have the puck. They are going to out-possess the Caps, by quite a lot, in this series. It's a matter of what do they do with that possession, because they are gonna take a pounding for sure, with the goal being by game three or four they won't be quite as willing to head down into that corner.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not sure what more they can do with the d pairs. They cant put Orpik up for 20 mins as Carlson's partner. Otherwise they would. They keep his minutes down by playing Jenses some shifts there. I don't think they have a choice. They might use Seigenthaler instead but the basic rotation wont change
I don't suspect it's sustainable to do so against stiffer, more experienced teams. Jensen needs to be able to shoulder more TOI, as does whoever the #6 is.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Very likely. What is the rule... do we think they were definitely told if you 2 end up together, stay on your wrong sides? It looked very suspect seeing both of them heading to their opposite sides, both a step behind their man.

The rule is that the player coming on plays the far side furthest to the bench so the player trying to get off is as close to it as possible

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't suspect it's sustainable to do so against stiffer, more experienced teams. Jensen needs to be able to shoulder more TOI, as does whoever the #6 is.

I wouldn't disagree. Jensen really needs to step up. Meanwhile, really impressed with Orpik

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
And you know what, I don't think the Canes can. That makes me optimistic.

Mrazek, maybe can play better, but the Canes as a team, I thought they played the game they wanted to play.
The only reason why this game was even close score wise was the awesome four saves made right before Carolina went on their scoring run . Could have been 6-0 easy if not for the 2 breakaway saves and back to back high scoring chances

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The only reason why this game was even close score wise was the awesome four saves made right before Carolina went on their scoring run . Could have been 6-0 easy if not for the 2 breakaway saves and back to back high scoring chances

That's why I said "maybe" on Mrazek. Although goal number one was a bad goal to five up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad