Post-Game Talk: gdt for game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Kuzy will be great next game. I believe.

giphy.gif

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Watching the replays of backstroms shot blocks at the end of the game.

He definitely has his own technique. Both of the big blocks he leads in with his skate so the puck hits the steel of the skate.
It’s a pretty smart way to avoid injury while blocking shots

Reactions: shtorm2005

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Lets be honest. Djoos isn't up to it right now

Sure, Jensen was falling on his ass, Niskanen was giving pucks away, Carlson was getting blown by, but let's single out Djoos.

They all need to play better collectively.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
People here seem pretty positive with only some constructive criticism so that is a plus for sure. Well except one person, who thinks everyone sucks, but whatever.

As I said earlier in the thread, this is the Canes game, possession and shots, possession and shots. Last three seasons Canes are top three in CF%, cumulative they are top two over that span.

We have all watched them, so this game can not be a shock to anyone. Every game will be like this. High danger was 6 - 4 Canes. For comparison Leafs/Bruins was 13-12.

Caps have more skill and they have to hope they "outskill" the Canes. No doubt the Canes are coming, Aho, Svechnikov, etc. will be beasts in this league for years to come. Let's just hope the Caps have three more wins in them before they fully realize their potential. ;)

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reality check -- the Caps won the Cup with Kuz playing with Ovi. That's always going to be an option. Backstrom individually had a great game, but none of the lines generated much, so changes are likely to happen.

of course. not saying otherwise

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Reality check -- the Caps won the Cup with Kuz playing with Ovi. That's always going to be an option. Backstrom individually had a great game, but none of the lines generated much, so changes are likely to happen.

Hope so but based upon their regular season tradition of if it ain’t broke...not holding my breath. Just keep winning

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lets get a LHD on him next time he comes down RW. May was just talking about Carlson getting worked on his offside on the 1st goal. I still contend Djoos and Carlson forced to play offside on other pairs, hurt. Djoos bailed towards the net and Carlson game over late... whats the rule, both stay offside when getting the odd shift together

I’ve seen that power move burn our defenseman at least three or four times in the last week or so it’s definitely a concern and has been scouted by the other teams

Reactions: RandyHolt

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Carlson experiment needs to end. Play him with Djoos and move on
Not going to happen if Djoos is only getting eight minutes. Again, it probably needs to be Siegenthaler with Djoos sat and Orpik moving up late in games. I get the impact of Kempny going down but a late season move putting Carlson on his off-side isn't the solution. Can they really envision that in a deep run? If not, then get to work on something more manageable under the circumstances. If Djoos isn't it, at least against a heavier forechecking team right now, then give Siegs a shot.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Nice to get the win.

I think we got out to a 3 goal lead a little too early and too easily, followed by the 2nd period when absolutely nothing happened. No real flow in the top 6.

I understand why Hagelin is on the 2nd line but it sure has a negative impact on the deadly Connolly/Eller/Hagelin combo. It would have been better if Kuznetsov committed a little effort this regular season to becoming a better defensive player so that Reirden doesn't need to hire a D-zone babysitter for him every game night. Oh, well.

Orpik was a monster. Eller, Backstrom and Holtby came through. Looking for bigger and better things from Wilson, Ovi, Vrana, Kuznetsov, Oshie next game. 1 down, 15 to go.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Actually the attempt by Hagelin was stupid. Especially with us being the worst faceoff team in the league. That could have cost us the game.

So could have a limp wristed failed clear that never made it out of the zone, living in fear of an icing.

Todd took first place and has a ring. Hagelin leads the world in playoff games played. I will trust them not fearing 1 faceoff.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not going to happen if Djoos is only getting eight minutes. Again, it probably needs to be Siegenthaler with Djoos sat and Orpik moving up late in games. I get the impact of Kempny going down but a late season move putting Carlson on his off-side isn't the solution. Can they really envision that in a deep run? If not, then get to work on something more manageable under the circumstances. If Djoos isn't it, at least against a heavier forechecking team right now, then give Siegs a shot.

they way they are doing it, Carlson is on the right for about a quarter of his shifts. never an important one.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Hope so but based upon their regular season tradition of if it ain’t broke...not holding my breath. Just keep winning

I think Reirden is a very different animal from Trotz. I mean he's not been shy about making big experiments on defense.

I'd bet things like the Backstrom-Kuz switch, Vrana back into top-6, etc, are the kinds of things we'll see very quickly once Reirden determines the offense needs a boost.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve seen that power move burn our defenseman at least three or four times in the last week or so it’s definitely a concern and has been scouted by the other teams

Even I know to do it. You rush at the offhand of your opposition - coming down the wing puck protected along the boards. Until they finally use their backhand/nail you, just keep driving wide. Heck all things equal force everyone to use their backhand, as its always a players weak hand.

Carlson is getting walked at LD. He and Djoos just thrown together was chaos and an instant goal. I am sticking to my prediction that we see Siggy get into a game. Djoos -2 needs to break us out or risks sitting.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad