• Thread starter Zetterberg4Captain*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Andrew_11 said:
These are some arrogant predictions fellow Canadians, but I still can't see Canada losing this game. They will be well prepared and well rested, but still won't blow the Czechs out ridiculously.

Canada 5 Czech Republic 2

Carter, Bergeron, Dawes, Phaneuf, Getzlaf
Olesz, Kaspar

The Czech's have 2 main lines from what I have seen. Olesz-Vrana-Kvapil is their main line and Olesz has been dominant so far in this tournament. Kaspar and Petruzalek, two players I am pretty familiar with from the O are childhood friends and have great chemistry together. It is important for Canada to rough up those lines in the early going with some big hits.

Olesz really hasn't been dominant... he has alot of points but alot of them have been second assists or weak goals... I really am not a big fan of Olesz.. I was excited about him last year and he did nothing all season or in this tournament last year..

Now he's putting the points up.. but I don't think he can do it against Canada...

Vrana and petruzalek are their biggest threats.. but their really small.. especially Petruzaliek... I don't think they'll be able to get by Canada's D IMO...

Baring a goaltending disaster by the Canadians I think we should win:

Canada 5 -- Carter, Dawes, Crosby, Perry, Ladd
Czechs 2 -- Smid, Vrana (looks like he can bring it in big games as Pierre would say lol)

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
go kim johnsson said:
Canada 6 Czechs 3

Americans really need to see a USA/Canada final so we can see Canada play. They're hyping up Crosby to be God, and yet they won't put him on TV.
He's the most skilled junior player in the world right now...

he's not God... yet his skills and suprisingly physical style of play are a breath of fresh air to the hockey world.. .he's got top end speed, and hands, but it's his vision that sets him apart..

He may not appear to be as good as people are saying in this tournament because Canada is so deep and Sutter is rolling 4 lines and Crosby isn't a penalty killer for this team.... he's playing the wing as well... which isn't his natural position... he's only played it for a week before WJHC and then in camp so he could be on Bergerons line...

If he gets the chance he can bring you to your feet.. but maybe this tournament isn't the best indication.. I think Sidney and the rest of the boys just want to win a gold.... and let's hope they do

GO CANADA GO!!!

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Andrew_11 said:
Who is the home team for todays game? I think it makes a big difference, because if Canada is home they will have the last change and can have Phaneuf and Weber out with the Olesz-Kvapil-Vrana line at all times.

Canada is because they won their division and got the bye to this semi-final game where the czechs finished 2nd in their pool and had to beat Finland to get into the semis

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
ParisSaintGermain said:
This game should tell us more about Olesz. Will he:

a- Be chasing Phaneuf?
b- Be avoiding Phaneuf?
c- Be only and totally foccused to get his team into the final?
C

Olesz is not a player who will play with fear. He got hit by Furrer and that was his wakeup call for this tourney. He won't headhunt you can be sure, but he won't aviod Phaneuf. With the maturity Olesz displays, I fully expect him to be completly focused on the game and hit anyone who has the puck, not just go after Phaneuf, although I would love to see Phaneuf go for a hit and wreck himself by missing into the boards or Olesz wreck Phaneuf which COULD happen as Olesz can hit.

IMO today, Olesz is the canadians biggest fear. He plays against men in the Czech league and was great last night even with the shutdown forwards in Korpikoski, Nokaleinan, and I forget the other one (Tukonen?), that love to shut down the opponents top players. They probably would have to double team Olesz to contain him which leaves room for Kvapil and Vrana and Vrana can definatley bring it. I hope Hrdel, Kaspar, Frolik, and Petruzalek all have good games because if they do, the Czechs will win as long as they continue their solid defensive game.

Should be interesting.

Feb 24, 2004
If the Czechs win this game, it will be a low scoring affair. No way do they win a shootout, I mean they haven't scored above 3 goals against a half-decent team yet.

The final score will be 2-1 Czech Republic in one of those one team completely outplays the other, but flukey goals on the PP and a great goalie stop them.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Olesz really hasn't been dominant... he has alot of points but alot of them have been second assists or weak goals... I really am not a big fan of Olesz.. I was excited about him last year and he did nothing all season or in this tournament last year..

Now he's putting the points up.. but I don't think he can do it against Canada...

He has like 2 2nd assists and 2 late goal, but he also was responsable for the goal Vrana scored and has created tons of chances.

After starting the season slow with 1 g, 3 assists in 23 games, he now has 5 goals, 5 assists in 31 games. He's been on a tear since late November. Last year he had 3 goals, 2 assists in 5 games and then got wrecked. I wouldn't call that nothing. Not GREAT, but good.

Also, he was the best Czech player according to several yesterday against the Finns, and also plays solid defense, making him, probably aside from Ovechkin and maybe Anthony Stewart, the most NHL ready propsect at the tourney.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
^^^^^^^^^^

OK, we understand your inafatuation with Olesz, but to call him and Stewart 2 of the 3 most NHL ready prospects in the tourney is silly. Homer for Florida??

We'll see how your Olesz plays today going up against Phaneuf - Weber on every shift. I think he'll be rather ineffective once he gets tossed down a couple of times like a rag-doll. If he gets any points it will be on the PP.

Oh, and Phaneuf is more NHL ready than Olesz.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
PanthersRule said:
C

Olesz is not a player who will play with fear. He got hit by Furrer and that was his wakeup call for this tourney. He won't headhunt you can be sure, but he won't aviod Phaneuf. With the maturity Olesz displays, I fully expect him to be completly focused on the game and hit anyone who has the puck, not just go after Phaneuf, although I would love to see Phaneuf go for a hit and wreck himself by missing into the boards or Olesz wreck Phaneuf which COULD happen as Olesz can hit.

IMO today, Olesz is the canadians biggest fear. He plays against men in the Czech league and was great last night even with the shutdown forwards in Korpikoski, Nokaleinan, and I forget the other one (Tukonen?), that love to shut down the opponents top players. They probably would have to double team Olesz to contain him which leaves room for Kvapil and Vrana and Vrana can definatley bring it. I hope Hrdel, Kaspar, Frolik, and Petruzalek all have good games because if they do, the Czechs will win as long as they continue their solid defensive game.

Should be interesting.

I agree about Olesz. He is a great two-way forward, who comes in and helps the D all the time. It will be exciting to see him in Florida with Olli Jokinen and Nathan Horton. They may end up having three good lines with these centers.

espo*

Canada should get it's first taste of adversity here and we need that,just not too much adversity if you get my drift.I say Canada 5-Czechs 2.

CH Wizard

6-2 Canada.

Canada : Bergeron (2) , Crosby , Carter , Dawes , Phaneuf.

Czech : Frolik , Olesz.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Canadian Chris said:
where in Northern BC are ya?

And aren't you just loving the cold :p

But back on topic...

I think it'll be a MUCH closer game that a lot of people think.

I'll say:

Canada 4 - Crosby(even strength at that!), Getzlaf, Perry and Richards

Czech Republic 2 - Olesz and Vrana(Whom I really liked the look of today against the Finns!)

I'm in Kitimat, and praying that the local pubs will let me watch the games! I've got my Canada jersey with me, hehe.

~Canucklehead~

espo*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I think Czechs will play Canada tough this game....much like the world cup with Canada still winning.

6 - 4 (with EN) Canada
Yeah i can see that score playing out....the Czechs can score and if Glass isn't sharp then......

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
I'm calling an upset. Marek Schwarz will be ON by period 3 after two so-so periods. Vrana and Olesz will not get Phaneufed into oblivion. Jeff Glass will be, uh, proverbially broken. Sidney Crosby will make people go ooooh, but will only score one goal.

4-3 Czech Republic. And then I will get to see the rematch of the one USA game ESPN didn't show (I'm calling a 3-1 USA victory).

It goes without saying that I will deny ever making this prediction, should I be completely and utterly wrong. ;)

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Sutter will match Weber and Phaneuf with the Vrana line. This will shut down the only line that has really been doing anything for the Czechs. The Bergeron line will blow the roof off of the Ralph.

6-1 Canada.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Sideline said:
Sutter will match Weber and Phaneuf with the Vrana line. This will shut down the only line that has really been doing anything for the Czechs. The Bergeron line will blow the roof off of the Ralph.

6-1 Canada.
It seems you get ripped around here if you predict a comfortable win for Canada, but i agree with you. We will shut down the top unit and take control of the game. I like us for a 6-2 win.

espo*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
It seems you get ripped around here if you predict a comfortable win for Canada, but i agree with you. We will shut down the top unit and take control of the game. I like us for a 6-2 win.
I agree with you when you talk about the ripping stuff when a convincing win for Canada is called by someone.....it's not bragging to think Canada is capable of winning going away......it's clear this is one strong team and they are more then capable of kicking sand in people's faces....whether they will from here on in is the question but it definately COULD happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad