GDT: Canada Vs. Czech Republic 4:30 Eastern Time

• Thread starter Zetterberg4Captain*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain*

So what are your predictions for this game? Will it be a blow-out or will it be close? GO CANADA!

Canada 5 Czech Republic 1

Canada Scoring: Carter, STewart, Dawes (2), Crosby

Czech Scoring: Olesz

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
A lot will depend on the Czech goalie. He did carry his team against the US. If he plays well, then we might not see a blowout. If not...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
7-2 Canada

Carter - 2
Crosby - 1
Bergeron - 1
Macarther - 1
Phaneuf 1
Perry - 1

Olesz - 2

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Boucicaut said:
A lot will depend on the Czech goalie. He did carry his team against the US. If he plays well, then we might not see a blowout. If not...

It won't be Koutsky in net barring a major surprise. Schwarz will get the start but he is a tremendous goalie as well and is capable of stealing one.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
These are some arrogant predictions fellow Canadians, but I still can't see Canada losing this game. They will be well prepared and well rested, but still won't blow the Czechs out ridiculously.

Canada 5 Czech Republic 2

Carter, Bergeron, Dawes, Phaneuf, Getzlaf
Olesz, Kaspar

The Czech's have 2 main lines from what I have seen. Olesz-Vrana-Kvapil is their main line and Olesz has been dominant so far in this tournament. Kaspar and Petruzalek, two players I am pretty familiar with from the O are childhood friends and have great chemistry together. It is important for Canada to rough up those lines in the early going with some big hits.

uzziman

Nov 6, 2002
Abby
Visit site
Andrew_11 said:
Schwarz will get the start but he is a tremendous goalie as well and is capable of stealing one.

I thought I heard somewhere that Schwarz was injured? Maybe I'm thinking about a different player

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm up in northern BC now visiting my girlfriend(I was in Vancouver), watching the WJC is a bit trickier--I'm heading to the town pub with her tomorrow to hopefully catch this one.

On topic, it's anyone's games. The Czechs have some great goaltending in Marek Schwarz, who I've seen plenty of with the Vancouver Giants. If Canada can put pucks past him, great--but it'll boil down to who works harder, IMO. Canada needs to come out of the gate with passion, and not let up until the last horn sounds to win.

All in all, the hardest working team will win, methinks.

~Canucklehead~

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I fully expect Canada to win this game but I don't think it will be a walk in the park. The Czechs have the ability to slow the play down and attack with a very deliberate forecheck. If Canada gets lazy, or retaliates to the likely muggings, things could be a bit closer than imagined. I'll go with a 4-1 Canada victory.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
The czechs are certainly a good team.. have a decent physical presence as well. I do think Canada will win but the Czech's do scare me a bit.. It'll be good for Canada to get a tougher test though and they'll certainly provide that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Canada 7 Czechs 2

See you in section 308, where I will be sitting for the remainder of the tournament. Have fun everyone and play nice!

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
canucklehead17 said:
I'm up in northern BC now visiting my girlfriend(I was in Vancouver), watching the WJC is a bit trickier--I'm heading to the town pub with her tomorrow to hopefully catch this one.

On topic, it's anyone's games. The Czechs have some great goaltending in Marek Schwarz, who I've seen plenty of with the Vancouver Giants. If Canada can put pucks past him, great--but it'll boil down to who works harder, IMO. Canada needs to come out of the gate with passion, and not let up until the last horn sounds to win.

All in all, the hardest working team will win, methinks.

~Canucklehead~
where in Northern BC are ya?

And aren't you just loving the cold :p

But back on topic...

I think it'll be a MUCH closer game that a lot of people think.

I'll say:

Canada 4 - Crosby(even strength at that!), Getzlaf, Perry and Richards

Czech Republic 2 - Olesz and Vrana(Whom I really liked the look of today against the Finns!)

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
BAuldie said:
The czechs are certainly a good team.. have a decent physical presence as well.

I have to disagree about their physical presence and I don't think even they have enough depth to really challenge Canada. They're certainly more skilled than any other team Canada has faced in this tournament so far, but I don't think they can handle Canada's hitting game. IMO they were surprisingly weak against Finland in physical game, when Canada, on the other hand, was destroying us. Canada is also well-rested and prepaired again. Czechs will propably be able to put up a better fight than Finland, Sweden or Slovakia, but they will eventually tire out and it could get ugly in the end.

My prediction: Canada 6,7,8 - Czechs 1,2,3

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
First real test for Canada (I guess I said that before every game).

Anyway, I hope my Czech brothers can put an upset ... GO CZECH REPUBLIC!!!!!

3-2 Czech Republic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Canada 6 Czechs 3

Americans really need to see a USA/Canada final so we can see Canada play. They're hyping up Crosby to be God, and yet they won't put him on TV.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Without trying to sound unfair to our Czech friends, I don't think this team is going to be able to compete with this Canadian team for 60 minutes. They have the offensive fire power but, again, with all due respect, I think this forward group is going to be manhandled by the Canadians. The defence is, in my opinion, unreliable and unremarkable at best. Marek Schwarz will need to stand on his head to keep it close. I believe last year these two teams met and it was a 7-1 or something score. I see the same thing happening this year.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Canada 6 Czechs 3

Americans really need to see a USA/Canada final so we can see Canada play. They're hyping up Crosby to be God, and yet they won't put him on TV.

Russians really need to see a Russia/Canada final so we can see Canada play (and it will be online).

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I just have this feeling with some Canadians not 100%, no real tests yet, that the Czechs could pull an upset. The Czechs have great players if they want to shut down the oppostition. Olesz shuts down NHL players on a large ice surface, so he could easily do it to juniors on a small ice surface. Same with some of the defense like Smid. I really can't call this one, but this game is interesting. My mom was born in Canada, my dad in the Czech Republic, and I was born in the USA :D (no, my brother was not born in Russia :teach: :D ), so I think I'm gonna pull for an upset Czech Rep although the depth of team Czech rep comes into question here IMO. Here are my keys to success for the Czechs:
1) Must contain team Canada forwards
2) Offense MUST show up as Olesz and Vrana are only two players and Canada will be able to most likely shut them down. That means Kaspar, Petrazulak, Kvapil, Frolik, etc... must show up offensively and defensively.
3) Must be able to play 3 or 4 lines against the Canadians as if they don't they will get worn down.
4) Schwarz MUST have a great game and stand on his head.

5) The Canadian team must all show up at Theif River Falls and not realize what time the game is leading to a default victory by the Czechs. j/k.

If there is a team to beat Canada, it's the Czechs, not the Russians IMO because of some vulnerabilities on defense, but the Czechs a they have great 2 way hockey.

I think 4-3 Czechs.

Schwarz with like 45 saves.
Canada-Bergeron, Carter, Crosby
Czechs- Vrana, Olesz, Petruzalek, Kaspar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad