GDT: GDT #45 New York Islanders @ Chicago Blackhawks | January 19th | 8:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
They are in such a rut, just getting to OT feels like a huge success.

That 2-on-1 was played SOOOOO terribly by Pelech, it friggin' hurt my eyes.

And it's not the first time for this team this season.

JUST.GIVE.SOROKIN.THE.SHOOTER.FOR.FRACK'S.SAKE!!!

No way the coaching staff is telling the Dmen to do that crap on these 2-on-1s, right? RIGHT?

No way!
I couldn't like this post even more. The amount of 2 on 1's was concerning and how they were played as well. The Isles d zone and puck management were a mess all game. The game was a toss up. I know Nelson hit the post twice but a Hawk player missed an open not late in the game. I also thought this team was hemmed in their zone at the start with a team that played the following night and had to travel.

Here's hoping Roy can instill some piss and vinegar.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You can't just take the pass away and ignore the shooter sometimes, he was put in a position where he was too close to the puck carrier to properly take that pass away easily. He tried to disrupt it at the carrier instead. It all stems from putting the defensemen in bad positions in transition.

Watch the replay closely. Pelech was doing everything right until he GIFTED the passer the passing lane last second, commiting totally to him as an oncoming shooter. HE, Pelech, took himself out of the proper position to create a passing lane that wasn't there, in a moment where Sorokin was already completely square to the shooter.

This was a BIG-TIME terrible play by Pelech.

And my critique of Pelech is not to give Aho a pass for what ended up being a poor pinching decision. You could see that 2-on-1 coming for a country mile, as you could also see that Aho hesitated in his decision to make that pinch, then made it anyway.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Watch the replay closely. Pelech was doing everything right until he GIFTED the passer the passing lane last second, commiting totally to him as an oncoming shooter. HE, Pelech, took himself out of the proper position to create a passing lane that wasn't there, in a moment where Sorokin was already completely square to the shooter.

This was a BIG-TIME terrible play by Pelech.

Just gave it another watch. I'm comfortable with what I said. He's on top of the puck carrier when transitioning into his defensive position.

1705795707453.png

He's already in a very bad spot here to take that pass away. A little saucer pass and he's toast.

1705795739901.png

I have no issues with his position here, or his decision to attack the puck. He just misread the play and whiffed. He thought the shot was coming so he went to block it with his stick. Instead there was a pass over the moment Pelech shifted his stick from his left to his right (leaving the passing lane). That was all it took. Then a former fantasy player for me buried it. :laugh:

1705796251876.png

1705795784835.png

Just poor execution and play recognition from Pelech there.

And my critique of Pelech is not to give Aho a pass for what ended up being a poor pinching decision. You could see that 2-on-1 coming for a country mile, as you could also see that Aho hesitated in his decision to make that pinch, then made it anyway.

Absolutely. It's a brain dead decision by Aho. You cannot be pinching when two opposition players are behind you and nobody is in position to cover for you. He wasn't even close to getting that puck or keeping it in. Went for a weak poke to disrupt the play on the wall. :help:

1705796155422.png

Reactions: CupHolders

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What are they selling?
Brock Nelson

I hate to be that person but if they do trade Nelson, its a move thats needed but terrible. Bad teams do that. Bad teams stay bad by selling away good players for magic beans. Brock Nelson is our 2nd best center on the roster. I do not want him gone. The only way you justify it is if Nelson is traded for something other than a top prospect and 1st and maybe a few other picks, then don't even bother.
He'll get a Horvat like return

Reactions: Osakahaus

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just gave it another watch. I'm comfortable with what I said. He's on top of the puck carrier when transitioning into his defensive position.

View attachment 807003

He's already in a very bad spot here to take that pass away. A little saucer pass and he's toast.

View attachment 807004

I have no issues with his position here, or his decision to attack the puck. He just misread the play and whiffed. He thought the shot was coming so he went to block it with his stick. Instead there was a pass over the moment Pelech shifted his stick from his left to his right (leaving the passing lane). That was all it took. Then a former fantasy player for me buried it. :laugh:

View attachment 807014

View attachment 807005

Just poor execution and play recognition from Pelech there.

Absolutely. It's a brain dead decision by Aho. You cannot be pinching when two opposition players are behind you and nobody is in position to cover for you. He wasn't even close to getting that puck or keeping it in. Went for a weak poke to disrupt the play on the wall. :help:

View attachment 807011

Yep, I believe - and I'd tell this to my own Dmen - that this is where the error took place and it's one that can't take place:
1705876067714.png

That lane wasn't there. It didn't need to be created. Solely Pelech's choice to bring not only his stick, but his whole body over to the guy who was well on his way to having to shoot led to the establishment of the passing lane.

There's a huge difference between perhaps having an active stick and full-out commiting to the shooter, which is never the right choice - from a tactical standpoint - for the Dman in a 2-on-1 situation.

I also saw the replay from behind the shooter and behind the goalie. Ultimately, Pelech made the first move. You don't make that commit. You just keep putting the onus on the forwards to make the first decision. More importantly, Sorokin was completely ready for the shooter. He was out. He was square with him. He was banking on that because that's what the goalie expects in a 2-on-1 situation.

The choice to commit by Pelech ruined the whole doggone play and gifted Chicago that goal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With how far out of his net and square to the shooter he is, Pelech needs to absolutely take away take passing lane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad