GDT: GDT #45 New York Islanders @ Chicago Blackhawks | January 19th | 8:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
1705667538176.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (19-15-10) AT CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS (13-30-2)
8:30 PM ET | UNITED CENTER
WATCH: MSGSN | MSG+ | ESPN+
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

The New York Islanders wrap up their four-game Central Division road trip when they take on the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday night at United Center.
The Islanders dropped a 4-2 decision against the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday in the second half of a back-to-back set. Anders Lee potted both goals for the Islanders, while Ilya Sorokin made 40 saves in the loss. After a 5-0 loss to the Wild on Monday night, the Islanders had a better effort against Winnipeg but are looking to fully bounce back against Chicago and get their first win of the trip.

“We were winning battles and taking strides after the Minnesota game to make sure we had an answer,” Hudson Fasching said after Thursday’s practice. “We had some bad breaks in that game, so we’re looking to find our identity to carry momentum into Friday.”

The Blackhawks are coming off a 3-0 shutout loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday night. The game was initially supposed to be played on Wednesday, but a snowstorm in Western New York caused the game to be postponed one day. That means the Blackhawks will be playing the Isles on the second half of a back-to-back set.

Friday’s tilt will open the season series between the two teams. The Islanders went 2-0-0 against Chicago last season, including a 3-0 shutout on Dec. 4, 2022.

1705667566523.png

ISLANDERS NOTES:

- Casey Cizikas (lower body) was placed on IR on Wednesday retroactive to Jan. 9.He has missed four games.
- Kyle MacLean joined the team for Thursday’s practice in Chicago after he was recalled from the Bridgeport Islanders on Wednesday. He will make his NHL debut if he plays against Chicago on Friday.
"It's pretty special. I'm extremely excited and happy to be here," MacLean said. "It's cool for the first time, so I'm excited and just looking forward to tomorrow night."
MacLean, the son of Islanders Assistant Coach John MacLean, collected 19 points (6G, 13A) through 36 games in his fourth season with Bridgeport. Head Coach Lane Lamert said the 24-year-old center has attributes that the team needs in Cizikas’ absence.
“He plays hard, he’s got speed and he can kill penalties,” Lambert said of MacLean. “He fits pretty well in that center spot.”
- Pierre Engvall (day-to-day, upper-body) did not participate in Thursday’s practice after he missed Tuesday’s game against the Jets. Engvall has 14 points (5G, 9A) through 41 games this season.
- Ilya Sorokin made his 12th consecutive appearance on Tuesday, establishing a new career-long and turning aside 40 of 43 shots against the Jets. The netminder has been carrying a heavy workload this season, facing an NHL-high 1,108 shots. Through two career games against the Blackhawks, Sorokin is 2-0-0 with a .968 SV%.

BLACKHAWKS NOTES:

- The Blackhawks are 13-30-2 this season, sitting last in the Central Division, and second last in both the Western Conference and the NHL. Chicago averages the second-fewest goals per game (2.18) and allow the fourth-most (3.58).
- Connor Bedard will not play against the Islanders on Friday night, as the 2023 first-overall pick suffered a broken jaw on Jan. 5 against the New Jersey Devils and will miss six-to-eight weeks. Bedard leads the Blackhawks – and all NHL rookies – with 33 points (15G, 18A) in 39 games.
- Nick Foligno suffered a fractured finger on the same night Bedard suffered his injury, so the veteran forward will also miss Friday’s game against the Islanders. Foligno signed a two-year contract extension on Jan. 12.
- Jason Dickinson signed a two-year extension on Jan. 16. He is third on the Blackhawks with 21 points (14G, 7A) in 45 games this season. Dickinson’s 14 goals are a career-high.
- Petr Mrazek is the expected starter on Friday night, as Arvid Soderblom played on Thursday night in Buffalo. Mrazek is 11-16-1 this season with a 3.04 GAA and a .907 SV%. The veteran goalie is 8-5-2 lifetime against the Islanders with a 2.95 GAA and an .894 SV% in those games.
- Former Islanders forward Anthony Beauvillier was acquired by the Blackhawks from the Vancouver Canucks on Nov. 28. Beauvillier had six points (2G, 4A) in 15 games with Chicago, but suffered a wrist injury on Jan. 2 and has been out since.

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
@Riseonfire I think we discussed this before -- it comes up from time to time. I grew up in Bellmore. Mepham grad. The jewelry store two doors away from Piccolos used to be a small sporting goods store -- I worked there throughout HS and college.

And yes, the King Kullen in that parking lot, used to be bowling alley! (showing my age here)

• Haha
Reactions: Riseonfire

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Let's be honest, you simply cannot lose this game tonight and still pretend that you are going to be contenders this year. Every team goes through slumps but this is the kind of game a real team comes out and blows the doors off Chicago. There is no excuse for this to not be a 3-4 goal win tonight. But if we actually lose tonight, with the schedule coming up, we will be at the bottom of the standings within a week or two and you would think finally changes have to be coming.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
@Riseonfire I think we discussed this before -- it comes up from time to time. I grew up in Bellmore. Mepham grad. The jewelry store two doors away from Piccolos used to be a small sporting goods store -- I worked there throughout HS and college.

And yes, the King Kullen in that parking lot, used to be bowling alley! (showing my age here)
Sport Scene was the name correct? I got my first pair of ice skates from there. Bauer Turbo's lol Kennedy grad 1990.

Reactions: Bones45

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Bellmore Kennedy '76 for me. Bradley Court growing up after 4th grade (Manor Court until then).

One memory was walking home about 3 miles or so (maybe more?) when you missed the late bus and the folks weren't able to pick you up! With a pile of books under the arm . . .

Merrick and Bellmore were GREAT places to grow up, but the housing costs are ludicrous today. When you look at who lived in those two hamlets, and the small populations, it's amazing how many well-known people came out of them.

For those who watched a lot of Giants games and watch Nascar on Fox . . . Artie Kempner (12 Sports Emmys) was '77 and we spent a number of years together at Balfour Lake Camp. He was a heck of an athlete himself, including a football scholarship to UF.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Let's be honest, you simply cannot lose this game tonight and still pretend that you are going to be contenders this year. Every team goes through slumps but this is the kind of game a real team comes out and blows the doors off Chicago. There is no excuse for this to not be a 3-4 goal win tonight. But if we actually lose tonight, with the schedule coming up, we will be at the bottom of the standings within a week or two and you would think finally changes have to be coming.
Lose tonight and McLean will be the interim coach.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The hockey gods are serving us a cupcake on a silver platter tonight. It would be rude to not take it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Sport Scene was the name correct? I got my first pair of ice skates from there. Bauer Turbo's lol Kennedy grad 1990.

Yes sir! Owner and his parents ran the place -- so many great memories -- thats probably part of the reason I like that pizza place so much.

@leeroggy Mepham '88 here. Lived on Henry St. Many a hockey game in the street till all hours of the night. Let us not forget Amy Fisher (Kennedy) and Debbie Gibson (Calhoun) ! :)

Yes housing costs are ridiculous there, along with the taxes. I feel like Bellmore and Merrick have gotten very dense and crowded. So many reasons I now live in Suffolk....

Reactions: islesmb

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Yes sir! Owner and his parents ran the place -- so many great memories -- thats probably part of the reason I like that pizza place so much.

@leeroggy Mepham '88 here. Lived on Henry St. Many a hockey game in the street till all hours of the night. Let us not forget Amy Fisher (Kennedy) and Debbie Gibson (Calhoun) ! :)

Yes housing costs are ridiculous there, along with the taxes. I feel like Bellmore and Merrick have gotten very dense and crowded. So many reasons I now live in Suffolk....

From Wiki:

Merrick

Notable people[edit]​

Ed Begley Jr.Debbie GibsonNoah Rubin

Television[edit]​

Bellmore

Notable people[edit]​

This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Give us what we want Lane. Scratch Wahlstrom, reunite Bozal and let Little Johnny Mac center the 4th line.

Reactions: Osakahaus

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
My 12 year old has a thing about championing non-star players on other teams, and for some reason he's become a Boris Katchouk fan for no good reason. Anyway, I hope he's playing.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)

I remember the owner he was a nice guy.

I was up visiting back in October and I sure don't remember the traffic being that bad. Of course I moved away 23 years ago.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Bauer Turbos from Syosset Sports for me. Just got rid of them a few months ago when I moved.

Reactions: islesmb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad