GDT: GDT #45 New York Islanders @ Chicago Blackhawks | January 19th | 8:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I hate to be that person but if they do trade Nelson, its a move thats needed but terrible. Bad teams do that. Bad teams stay bad by selling away good players for magic beans. Brock Nelson is our 2nd best center on the roster. I do not want him gone. The only way you justify it is if Nelson is traded for something other than a top prospect and 1st and maybe a few other picks, then don't even bother.
I’m sorry just because he plays on the designated 2 nd line doesn’t necessarily mean he’s our #2 center. I’d argue he’s been our best center for the last few years while being saddled with lesser talent.

He has been doing crap like that all year, not once taking responsibility. Look at Bo's presser snippet (btw, what ever happened to the longer clips we used to get)....Bo is out there taking responsibility. Bo leads, Lane....well not sure what Lane does, but i do know he is someone you fire. Better be good news by days end.
Deflection!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I’m sorry just because he plays on the designated 2 nd line doesn’t necessarily mean he’s our #2 center. I’d argue he’s been our best center for the last few years while being saddled with lesser talent.

Deflection!

Prior to the addition of Horvat, I would agree. But now he's most definitely the #2 center.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
you wanna be an asshole go do it somewhere else

i didn't know Mat Barzal is responsible for the entire bottom 6 and defense being ass. you wanna grill people, grill Pageau and Pelech who don't contribute to shit on offense.
I’m sorry but last I looked this was a forum to discuss different views, and when did we remove freedom of speech? There’s much here I often feel differently about about , but I never disparage anyone, this is a hockey team we’re talking about here. I appreciate everyone’s contribution it furthers my knowledge of the game and offers a view unlike my own.
Prior to the addition of Horvat, I would agree. But now he's most definitely the #2 center.
we will have to disagree, I see a player that drives play and plays with lesser talent that continually preforms a constant through out the years.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
we will have to disagree, I see a player that drives play and plays with lesser talent that continually preforms a constant through out the years.

Well, he is a bit streaky, but year after year on a whole (since Trotz) yes he has been consistent. He's very good, no doubt. I just see Horvat as better all-around.

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
Even I have to agree that loss makes Lambert look awful but that being said, Sorokin at the end of these games.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Even I have to agree that loss makes Lambert look awful but that being said, Sorokin at the end of these games.
But.....without Sorokin, the game would have been over long before the third period was finished.

Reactions: MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
They are in such a rut, just getting to OT feels like a huge success.

That 2-on-1 was played SOOOOO terribly by Pelech, it friggin' hurt my eyes.

And it's not the first time for this team this season.

JUST.GIVE.SOROKIN.THE.SHOOTER.FOR.FRACK'S.SAKE!!!

No way the coaching staff is telling the Dmen to do that crap on these 2-on-1s, right? RIGHT?

No way!

Reactions: Tahoeblue and MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But.....without Sorokin, the game would have been over long before the third period was finished.

I don't think that's true at all. He made maybe two high quality saves I can recall. He needs to start stopping these savable shots.

No way the coaching staff is telling the Dmen to do that crap on these 2-on-1s, right? RIGHT?

No way!

You can't just take the pass away and ignore the shooter sometimes, he was put in a position where he was too close to the puck carrier to properly take that pass away easily. He tried to disrupt it at the carrier instead. It all stems from putting the defensemen in bad positions in transition.

Was that the Aho pinch at the blue line? Just a bonehead decision on less than a 50-50 puck for him.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

No way!
See @PK Cronin's response to Pelech. 100% on board with his take.

Also regarding Sorokin... the team defense is absolutely A problem. But still, there is nothing stopping Sorokin from being at least on par with Varlamov. On the very same team as Varlamov, it seems Sorokin's highs have been higher, and lows lower.

Reactions: duster19

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I’m sorry but last I looked this was a forum to discuss different views, and when did we remove freedom of speech? There’s much here I often feel differently about about , but I never disparage anyone, this is a hockey team we’re talking about here. I appreciate everyone’s contribution it furthers my knowledge of the game and offers a view unlike my own.

Fair. But unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much on these boards to uphold posters from attempting at reasonable opinions. Especially in light of the fact that certain posters continually argue the same point while shoe-horning every bit of information to suit said take.

I mean I haven't checked the stats... But I will assume that factually Bazal HAS only scored 2 goals in 20 games. I guess we can find players like Horvat and Nelson as out-goalscoring Barzal during that time. Moreover, we can likely present their performances as examples to criticize Barzal's output.

Meanwhile we are expected to completely ignore the difference in playing styles... playmakers vs. goal scorers. Additionally, ignoring the fact that Barzal's playmaking (assists) have clearly been pushing the production of the goal-scoring. At least we are expected to ignore the above two points, to validate the initial premise... Barzal is the reason the Isles are in this pickle.

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
L
See @PK Cronin's response to Pelech. 100% on board with his take.

Also regarding Sorokin... the team defense is absolutely A problem. But still, there is nothing stopping Sorokin from being at least on par with Varlamov. On the very same team as Varlamov, it seems Sorokin's highs have been higher, and lows lower.
he’s like the other guys on the team…they aren’t sharp. The details are beating them.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
you wanna be an asshole go do it somewhere else

i didn't know Mat Barzal is responsible for the entire bottom 6 and defense being ass. you wanna grill people, grill Pageau and Pelech who don't contribute to shit on offense.
Facts are facts. No where did I imply he was the sole reason for this swoon. Rather, its kinda lame when the highest paid and face of your franchise literally goes games without end with zero impact on the game.

However, I see Barzal is such a sensitive subject for critical thinking (or facts). Plenty of energy blaming every player on this roster in every direction, but this one player is immune from any dissenting views.

As for the name calling and attack, be my guest. Must be proud of yourself.

My point was that everyone deserves to be lambasted at this point. Singling out players for collective failure is merely confirmation bias. Bazal is certainly not single-handedly responsible for this debacle, but he could absolutely be doing more of what he's paid to do. And so could everyone else.
And no one was singled out…posted straight up stats. I guess I missed the charts to support it.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Other than Dobson, every player on this team should be made available at the deadline(for the right price, of course). That includes Sorokin and Barzal. Would hate to lose Nelson but maybe a team overpays for him. This team, as constituted, just ain't going far. The coach obviously needs to go as well.
This, but what could the Ises get on some of these contracts? Sorokin is degressing and didn't even start his 8 year deal, Horvat playing well but another 8 year deal that will be bad in a few years, Mayfield could have probably got a 1st and a B/C level prospect given the market for D-men last year, now no one will touch him with that contract, time to rebuild was last year, this team is screwed for a long time

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
And no one was singled out…posted straight up stats. I guess I missed the charts to support it.

No, but you do harp on Barzal far more than any other player. He absolutely needs to be more consistent, but you also could stand to post about it less IMO, for whatever little that's worth.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
No, but you do harp on Barzal far more than any other player. He absolutely needs to be more consistent, but you also could stand to post about it less IMO, for whatever little that's worth.
And that’s fine. Happy to do so. There’s people here that post A LOT on Lee, Bailey, etc., so I guess that’s ok.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
And that’s fine. Happy to do so. There’s people here that post A LOT on Lee, Bailey, etc., so I guess that’s ok.

No, it's not! I'm consistently telling other posters that they post the same shit over and over and that it's f***ing annoying. I had to put the Kool Aid Man on ignore last night because I'm tired of reading about 7 year contracts 120 times per game. You're not in that league as that, but you know. That I even put it the way I did to you indicates that I happen to like you as a poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad