GDT: GDT #45 New York Islanders @ Chicago Blackhawks | January 19th | 8:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
You need like 94-95ish points for the playoffs , you think they can get 45 points in 37 games ? Doubtful with the schedule still remaining
It's over at this point. Not only do we have to displace one of the 8 teams currently in playoff position, you also have to displace NJ who by point percentage are ahead of us. And the Devils are a much more talented team on paper even with their cruddy goaltending.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
It's over at this point. Not only do we have to displace one of the 8 teams currently in playoff position, you also have to displace NJ who by point percentage are ahead of us. And the Devils are a much more talented team on paper even with their cruddy goaltending.
I don't think it's over because none of the teams that we would have to leapfrog for a WC spot have really distinguished themselves either. FL made it with 92 pts last year. Having said that, I don't think it really matters because we're not going anywhere even if we do make it. Just more kicking the can down the road for what is going to be a very long rebuild given our probable draft position going forward, the state of our prospect pool and our farm system.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
This is rock bottom. Well done lane...

I don't think it's over because none of the teams that we would have to leapfrog for a WC spot have really distinguished themselves either. FL made it with 92 pts last year. Having said that, I don't think it really matters because we're not going anywhere even if we do make it. Just more kicking the can down the road for what is going to be a very long rebuild given our probable draft position going forward, the state of our prospect pool and our farm system.

Its over bro. Its OVER

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Realistically it really is. From an advanced metrics perspective, the Islanders are currently closer to teams like the Blackhawks and Sharks than 7/8 of the teams currently holding Eastern playoff positions.

1705728115801.png

1705728337700.png

Detroit seems like the only Eastern playoff team that's even remotely near the Isles here. And that's offset since our powerplay units are relatively even, but they outclass considerably in PK skill. They have both the special teams advantage and generally overall better 5-on-5 play.

To put it in another perspective, the Islanders have the 6th-worst goal differential in the entire league. The only other so-called other Eastern playoff contender who has that is Washington (who isn't making it in either). No one else comes even close.

1705729108976.png

Not to be a party-pooper, but these are the teams the Islanders belong with and not the ones realistically making the playoffs in the East.

Attachments

• 1705728258812.png
    1705728258812.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Lol at Lane in presser. Shitting all over players (somewhat deserved admittedly but hardly a way to win them back).
"It's unacceptable."
"The jolt needs to come from within."
What about YOU, Lane. What can you do?
Sounds like a huge divide...it is not we, it is they.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This team deserves to be where they are at. Could be sellers by the end of next week.
I hate to be that person but if they do trade Nelson, its a move thats needed but terrible. Bad teams do that. Bad teams stay bad by selling away good players for magic beans. Brock Nelson is our 2nd best center on the roster. I do not want him gone. The only way you justify it is if Nelson is traded for something other than a top prospect and 1st and maybe a few other picks, then don't even bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Oh…and Barzal has 2 goals in his last 20 games. Way to lead!

Last edited:

Green

Nov 13, 2019
trade sorokin while his stock is high!
Time to trade him was last year, should have started the rebuild last year, going to settle for a few years of mediocricy until they are forced to rebuild in a few years and could have got a jump on it along with really good assets if they started it last year

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Lol at Lane in presser. Shitting all over players (somewhat deserved admittedly but hardly a way to win them back).
"It's unacceptable."
"The jolt needs to come from within."
What about YOU, Lane. What can you do?
Sounds like a huge divide...it is not we, it is they.
He has been doing crap like that all year, not once taking responsibility. Look at Bo's presser snippet (btw, what ever happened to the longer clips we used to get)....Bo is out there taking responsibility. Bo leads, Lane....well not sure what Lane does, but i do know he is someone you fire. Better be good news by days end.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Bo sounds and acts like a captain. It is tempting to strip Lee this off season.

If we continue to fall moving Nelson for short term futures needs to be done, we can not lose him for nothing and we should not sign him at 34 to a 4 year contract like we know Lou likes to do. Vancouver flipped Bo for a top pairing dman, Lou needs to wake up

This country club team needs a wake up and some turnover. Turnover is very hard with all these bad contracts

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
you wanna be an asshole go do it somewhere else

i didn't know Mat Barzal is responsible for the entire bottom 6 and defense being ass. you wanna grill people, grill Pageau and Pelech who don't contribute to shit on offense.

Not for nothing, but Pelech isn't here for offense.

However, what's been happening is due to the entire team and coaching staff being ineffective. People like to absolve their favorites and scapegoat the players they don't like, but this is collective failure. No one should be getting a pass on a road trip like this, or so far this month in general. Everyone needs to do what they're paid to do better.

Reactions: MJF and Osakahaus

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017

However, what's been happening is due to the entire team and coaching staff being ineffective. People like to absolve their favorites and scapegoat the players they don't like, but this is collective failure. No one should be getting a pass on a road trip like this, or so far this month in general. Everyone needs to do what they're paid to do better.
Agreed, not a single player had a good road trip. The lack of leadership and country club atmosphere is very obvious. No accountability for players. Palms not missing a shift after that penalty in Nashville says it all

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Other than Dobson, every player on this team should be made available at the deadline(for the right price, of course). That includes Sorokin and Barzal. Would hate to lose Nelson but maybe a team overpays for him. This team, as constituted, just ain't going far. The coach obviously needs to go as well.

Reactions: Green

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

The entire team is almost doing jack and shit

Why should Barzal be lambasted for goals (again) when the isles just look lost in general with their offensive production besides Bo and Nelson? The bottom 6 has been that dreadful. Pelech also hasn't contributed much on offense but he needs to at some point. I just want this team to look better than a measly mediocre squad. Lam's got some nerve to still twiddle his fingers on coaching btw,

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The entire team is almost doing jack and shit

Why should Barzal be lambasted for goals (again) when the isles just look lost in general with their offensive production besides Bo and Nelson? The bottom 6 has been that dreadful. Pelech also hasn't contributed much on offense but he needs to at some point. I just want this team to look better than a measly mediocre squad. Lam's got some nerve to still twiddle his fingers on coaching btw,

My point was that everyone deserves to be lambasted at this point. Singling out players for collective failure is merely confirmation bias. Bazal is certainly not single-handedly responsible for this debacle, but he could absolutely be doing more of what he's paid to do. And so could everyone else.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I stopped watching after the first because I knew where that game was headed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad