GDT: GDT #31 New York Islanders vs Edmonton Oilers | December 19th | 7:30 PM | F/3-1 W

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
1) Took him SIX years to make the playoffs the first time - everyone who sucks his toes here would be clamoring for his head if he had 6 years here without making the playoffs.
As Richie Daggers pointed out, he took over an expansion team. Back when the expansion draft wasn't nearly as generous. He had a brutal squad his first 4-5 years and making the playoffs was not really part of the plan those first few seasons.
2) Took him TWELVE years to WIN ONE playoff series.
True. But I guess he learned something as in his next TWELVE years he WON FIFTEEN playoff series.
3) Took him NINETEEN years to get past the 2nd round, with Washington. With a plethora of offensive talent.
Getting "past the 2nd round" means making it to the conference finals. Something only 4 coaches do every year. And something that Trots did in back to back years here.
4) In 23 seasons of coaching, he missed the playoffs NINE times. Before us, he made ONE Conference final, with Washington.
True. So after missing the first 5 seasons with an expansion team, he made the playoffs 18 out of 22 seasons. With three different teams. Remarkable.
5) 83-79 career playoff record
Not bad. Lambert is 2-4.
Lane is one for one in making the playoffs. Not saying which is better. Just saying the ludicrous belief that a coach with BT's career record makes him some sort of God, as too many believe here, is revisionism at its worst.
I am. Trotz. Pretty obvious.
There are 19 coaches with 2 or more rings, and BT is not one of them. Three of them are Cooper, Sullivan and Daryl Sutter. Pens fans are clamoring for Sullivan's testicles to be donated to the Iceland volcano. Quenneville has 3.
Isles fans were clamoring for Lambert's testicles two weeks ago. What's your point? That fans dictate a coaches success? (yes, there are grown men here that actually believe that). Also, there are only 8 coaches with two or more Jack Adams awards and BT is one of them. Impressive.
I FULLY prefer how we are playing right now; it is far closer to what is needed to win a Cup in today's NHL and with the way the Refs call the game.
Too soon to say. And not sure you can draw the conclusion that "we're better off with Lambert vs Trotz." I FULLY preferred how we played in the playoffs under Trotz (6 series wins) vs Lambert (zero series wins). If we make it to the SCF, Lambert will have my attention.

Look I support Lambert. I've always maintained that a rebuild is premature and firing Lambert is foolish. He made the playoffs his first year. He deserves a second. Especially with a full season of Horvat/Barzal. Things are looking up. Let's hope they continue.

The fact that it appears to be open season on Trotz' accomplishments with NYI and his coaching career is very strange. He was probably reason #1 for the resurrection of this franchise.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Other than the blown leads, this team has looked dynamite.
Ergo for this team:

Lambert's style of hockey > Trotz style of hockey.

No one in their right mind would want to go back to Trotz hockey based on the "dynamite" things we've seen thus far. Barzal unleashed. A top 5 powerplay on it's way up. High Scoring team. Exciting for everyone to watch.

I would take a loss in the ECF watching this exciting brand of hockey over the boring risk adverse, low scoring, low excitement hockey Trotz had the team playing that everyone but Islander fans were complaining about throughout the league. The best Islander teams whether it be during the dynasty years, the '93 years, the 2001-2002 team- these were exciting teams to watch. The playoff games were memorable. The erectile dysfunctional-like play Trotz had this team putting forth 2 years ago- I'm sorry, was boring as shit. Every NHL commentator and fans from other teams would say the same.

So stop making it appear like the Trotz years were some sort of phenomenal success. They weren't. They were fond to watch as it happened, but what memories do you have of them? We won a number of rounds but I don't remember anything that stood out like a Bates penalty shot, Steve Webb hits, a dominant Islander powerplay. All I remember is boring as shit hockey with the predictable loss against a better coached team that was trying to play hockey while the Islanders were trying to play chess and each of them ended up in a predictable loss. I saw a coach who was too risk adverse, too conservative that he wouldn't give the green light for his players to play to their strengths and talents. To me that was totally absurd!

I would NEVER want to go back to Trotz hockey. Seriously though, I respect the guy. I appreciate the wins and the playoff appearances, but by god, don't ever bore me with that ridiculous shit again. Lou was right. A new voice was needed. A new direction. He saw what was happening and he canned the problem.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
This team needs to not sit back with a lead. They’re built to attack. They don’t have the airtight structure anymore, so they can’t afford to fall back on a trap

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This team needs to not sit back with a lead. They’re built to attack. They don’t have the airtight structure anymore, so they can’t afford to fall back on a trap
Yeah and I remember all those posters saying that they couldn't play the game they are playing RIGHT NOW (and that was just 6 weeks ago) because they didn't have the skill. Barzal should be traded nonsense. I said this was a playoff caliber team but the system needed tweaking and I was laughed at. Where are these posters now?

Last edited:

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Ergo for this team:

Lambert's style of hockey > Trotz style of hockey.

No one in their right mind would want to go back to Trotz hockey based on the "dynamite" things we've seen thus far. Barzal unleashed. A top 5 powerplay on it's way up. High Scoring team. Exciting for everyone to watch.

I would take a loss in the ECF watching this exciting brand of hockey over the boring risk adverse, low scoring, low excitement hockey Trotz had the team playing that everyone but Islander fans were complaining about throughout the league. The best Islander teams whether it be during the dynasty years, the '93 years, the 2001-2002 team- these were exciting teams to watch. The playoff games were memorable. The erectile dysfunctional-like play Trotz had this team putting forth 2 years ago- I'm sorry, was boring as shit. Every NHL commentator and fans from other teams would say the same.

So stop making it appear like the Trotz years were some sort of phenomenal success. They weren't. They were fond to watch as it happened, but what memories do you have of them? We won a number of rounds but I don't remember anything that stood out like a Bates penalty shot, Steve Webb hits, a dominant Islander powerplay. All I remember is boring as shit hockey with the predictable loss against a better coached team that was trying to play hockey while the Islanders were trying to play chess and each of them ended up in a predictable loss. I saw a coach who was too risk adverse, too conservative that he wouldn't give the green light for his players to play to their strengths and talents. To me that was totally absurd!

I would NEVER want to go back to Trotz hockey. Seriously though, I respect the guy. I appreciate the wins and the playoff appearances, but by god, don't ever bore me with that ridiculous shit again. Lou was right. A new voice was needed. A new direction. He saw what was happening and he canned the problem.
You're really not embarrassed writing this stuff?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah and I remember all those posters saying that they couldn't play the game they are playing RIGHT NOW (and that was just 6 weeks ago) because they didn't have the skill. Barzal should be traded nonsense. I said this was a playoff caliber team but the system needed tweaking and I was laughed at. Where are these posters now?
If Reilly isn’t here and we’re still putting out a 4th line with Martin, along with Mayfield and Pelech playing the way they were before they got hurt, we aren’t capable of playing the way they are now.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
If Reilly isn’t here and we’re still putting out a 4th line with Martin, along with Mayfield and Pelech playing the way they were before they got hurt, we aren’t capable of playing the way they are now.
That’s a cop out. Martin, Mayfield, and Pelech are not reasons why our PP is now effective. They have nothing to do with how Barzal or Dobson play their game. Nothing to do with players cheating up the ice Or being creative, or using their linemates better, or not just mindlessly forechecking rather than scoring off the rush. Or in general as Lambert wanted them to play “loose”, in the zone, or just letting our players let their natural talent shine. Everything I’ve been asking for this team to be doing they’re doing right now. Maybe Lambert and I see things alike. Maybe there were growing pains as the system transitioned to more offensive minded one. All credit should go to Lou and Lambert for making these changes to the Islander game.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
:huh:

Snow is better than Lamoriello. And Lamoriello was only good because he hired Trotz

But Trotz was bad because he was holding back Barzal

Lamoriello is also bad because he fired Trotz and hired Lambert

Earlier this season I think, but I’m not sure; that Lambert was also bad because Barzal was still held back.

Now Lambert is better than Trotz. It’s good that Lou fired Trotz… I think.

What is going on here?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That’s a cop out. Martin, Mayfield, and Pelech are not reasons why our PP is now effective. They have nothing to do with how Barzal or Dobson play their game. Nothing to do with players cheating up the ice Or being creative, or using their linemates better, or not just mindlessly forechecking rather than scoring off the rush. Or in general as Lambert wanted them to play “loose”, in the zone, or just letting our players let their natural talent shine. Everything I’ve been asking for this team to be doing they’re doing right now. Maybe Lambert and I see things alike. Maybe there were growing pains as the system transitioned to more offensive minded one. All credit should go to Lou and Lambert for making these changes to the Islander game.

:huh:

Snow is better than Lamoriello. And Lamoriello was only good because he hired Trotz

But Trotz was bad because he was holding back Barzal

Lamoriello is also bad because he fired Trotz and hired Lambert

Earlier this season I think, but I’m not sure; that Lambert was also bad because Barzal was still held back.

Now Lambert is better than Trotz. It’s good that Lou fired Trotz… I think.

What is going on here?
The Islanders are winning games now and everybody is rewriting the past.

You’re really shoveling it with 2 hands now.

• Haha

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Where did my post go? Did I miss something?

Regardless no matter. The way I see it the reasonable people amongst us would see this as a combination of the good work both Lou and Snow did for this team. It was time for Snow to go. I've never argued that, but any fool would recognize when you have players like Sorokin, Nelson, Lee, Barzal, Pelech, Pulock etc... as core members of the team you gotta give some credit to Snow. At this point, this team is Lou's roster. He's done a good job with it. I thought it was ridiculous for some to claim that the moment Lou took over the job as GM that the team we saw in front of him was all of sudden all of Lou's doing and that's what some if not many were arguing here. RIdiculous. So if I went to town on Lou it was that hypocrisy that I was pushing back against. Other than that I've always liked Lou but I wasn't about to drink the Koolaid either. At this point, looking at the roster, I think he has redeemed some of his earlier decisions.

As for Trotz. I liked him as well and like everyone else I enjoyed seeing our team back in the playoff hunt but as I said above, seriously his game plan was boring as shit and ultimately flawed. If the end result was going to be an ouster from the playoffs I'd rather go down fighting than playing not to lose which is what he preached. Like I said in threads past his game plan was like the pusher in tennis, just get everything back and bore the shit out of your opponent. Sorry folks, that's not Islander hockey. His time had come and gone and it looks like the team is headed in the right direction now, something I've wanted to see for the past 5 years because I've always believed in this roster that Snow created and Lou developed. (Ever wonder why I have both Lou and Garth in my avatar? Now you know)

Can't we all just get along here? Can't we all just think reasonably and rationally and not think that just because a fellow Islander fan sees things different than you that he's not trolling anyone. C'mon! Merry Christmas greasy rats.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Do you even know MY specific opinions on any ONE of the following topics:

Snow
Lamoriello
Trotz
Lambert
Barzal

No, but did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express during the month? At least I'd be able to infer a little . . .

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Lol. I just woke up. Looks like I missed the party!

As for the, how should I put it, sebaceous rodents comments, if someone doesn’t want to be called shit stop acting like shit. Can’t we all just get along here? Let’s all learn to respect the diversity of the commentary and everyone will be happy. But if it takes one person to be above it all- I’ll be that person.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

As for the, how should I put it, sebaceous rodents comments, if someone doesn’t want to be called shit stop acting like shit. Can’t we all just get along here? Let’s all learn to respect the diversity of the commentary and everyone will be happy. But if it takes one person to be above it all- I’ll be that person.
How dare you! I claimed that mantle already!

That's it, you and I are DONE.

:naughty:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Your posts were removed for a reason and discussion of the moderation isn't allowed on the boards so if you have an issue with it you can contact a moderator or use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Here are the rules in case anyone needs a refresher:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
How dare you! I claimed that mantle already!

That's it, you and I are DONE.

:naughty:
Lol.

If anyone needs a refresher on how I expect them to behave they can pm me. It’s really not hard to act human.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4