GDT: GDT #31 New York Islanders vs Edmonton Oilers | December 19th | 7:30 PM | F/3-1 W

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
This team is racking up points, and until recently Sorokin has been subpar at best. Seems like he is starting to get in the groove a bit. Once the defense starts getting healthy and Sorokin gets white hot this team could be a force.

Get a top line forward at the deadline.

Reactions: MJF and TMI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This team is racking up points, and until recently Sorokin has been subpar at best. Seems like he is starting to get in the groove a bit. Once the defense starts getting healthy and Sorokin gets white hot this team could be a force.

Sorokin will be just fine.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Thank God we traded Raty and not Holmstrom.
Probably bc the org believed and Holmstrom and showcased Raty.

Wait, the Islanders beat the Oilers *in regulation* 3-1?

Please confirm, that sounds crazy…

Raty and a 1st is not junk, but was the right call. #InLouWeTrust
It’s probably going to be along the lines of the Smyth trade, Kovy to Devils trade, Hossa to Pens trade level of junk.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Great game lmao. I think they went to turtle way too fast, but screw it. That third period was a lot of low danger, high volume shots. Simon Holmstrom is such a treaure. Shame for Gauthier, but now we get to see what Wahlstrom can do again.

Wait, the Islanders beat the Oilers *in regulation* 3-1?

Please confirm, that sounds crazy…

Raty and a 1st is not junk, but was the right call. #InLouWeTrust
Saw some dude wearing a Raty isles jersey today and thought "is he a jackass for keeping it, or a legend because it gave us horvat?"

There really are some great jerseys from the fans at UBS. Saw a Hillen and Ho-Sang one today.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Lambert hockey >>>> Trotz Hockey

Good to see our scorers having a good time out there. Finally the game I wanted to see out of these boys! No more chess!

Barzy unleashed!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Great game lmao. I think they went to turtle way too fast, but screw it. That third period was a lot of low danger, high volume shots. Simon Holmstrom is such a treaure. Shame for Gauthier, but now we get to see what Wahlstrom can do again.

Saw some dude wearing a Raty isles jersey today and thought "is he a jackass for keeping it, or a legend because it gave us horvat?"

There really are some great jerseys from the fans at UBS. Saw a Hillen and Ho-Sang one today.

Guess the person with the No-Sang jersey wore out their Ryan Leaf jersey. Was it an ‘honor the 66 version?’ - that should be in the hall of fame.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Strange game. The Isles were great in the 2nd and played a great defensive game, but the way the Oilers dominated the play in the first and third were strange to watch. Despite the pressure, the Isles looked calm.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Strange game. The Isles were great in the 2nd and played a great defensive game, but the way the Oilers dominated the play in the first and third were strange to watch. Despite the pressure, the Isles looked calm.
Actually thought the Isles were the better team the second 10 minutes of the first. I am not always comfortable with the forecheck and defend strategy and a little less so with Aho in and Pelech and Pulock out however it very likely limited chances off the rush and Sorokin was a force when the puck was down low. Good job Lane?

Bortuzzo is seemingly a terrific teammate. He throws his body in front of pucks in a variety of ways and has done it since his first game here. I like Bolduc more and more each game. Physical and his positioning has gotten better.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
1703077746762.png

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Actually thought the Isles were the better team the second 10 minutes of the first. I am not always comfortable with the forecheck and defend strategy and a little less so with Aho in and Pelech and Pulock out however it very likely limited chances off the rush and Sorokin was a force when the puck was down low. Good job Lane?

Bortuzzo is seemingly a terrific teammate. He throws his body in front of pucks in a variety of ways and has done it since his first game here. I like Bolduc more and more each game. Physical and his positioning has gotten better.
So the question is, as well as Reilly and Bortuzzo have been great recent additions to this team's defense when everyone is healthy who sits out? Aho and Bolduc are obvious but if we were to keep Bortuzzo and Reilly in the line-up, who sits between Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield? It's not as easy a decision as it appears though for some I'm sure they would say Mayfield, but at times he brings to the game- whether it be a timely assist or goal, protecting the front of the net, or physicality he brings something to this team. Maybe I would sit Bortuzzo over Mayfield because Mayfield brings the same physicality but offers a little more offense- though Bortuzzo brings very noticeable experience. Or rotate these two in and out of the line-up. Reilly is an obvious player they should keep in the line-up..

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So the question is, as well as Reilly and Bortuzzo have been great recent additions to this team's defense when everyone is healthy who sits out? Aho and Bolduc are obvious but if we were to keep Bortuzzo and Reilly in the line-up, who sits between Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield? It's not as easy a decision as it appears though for some I'm sure they would say Mayfield, but at times he brings to the game- whether it be a timely assist or goal, protecting the front of the net, or physicality he brings something to this team. Maybe I would sit Bortuzzo over Mayfield because Mayfield brings the same physicality but offers a little more offense- though Bortuzzo brings very noticeable experience. Or rotate these two in and out of the line-up. Reilly is an obvious player they should keep in the line-up..

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield

Bolduc, Bortuzzo

Trade , waive, or launch Aho into the Sun.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I didn't like they way they sat back on their lead in the third though they did a much better job at it than in games past. BUT if one of those goal attempts when in and a couple of times with McDavid and Draisatl on the ice they nearly did, they are simply playing with fire. One goal and I would have thought the team would go into panic mode and turtle in front of Sorokin. They seem to be learning though with the defense ramming players against the boards if the opponent decided to cruise behind the net, but I don't like the amount of time they spent in the D-zone to close out the game. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield

Bolduc, Bortuzzo

Trade , waive, or launch Aho into the Sun.
Yeah, this seems like the most sensible D-line-up, but I think Bortuzzo brings a level of toughness, meanness, maybe a tad dirty at times that this team needed badly. They seem to play bigger with him in the line-up. Love the toughness Dobson has been putting on display the past couple of games. It's good when he plays mad.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I didn't like they way they sat back on their lead in the third though they did a much better job at it than in games past. BUT if one of those goal attempts when in and a couple of times with McDavid and Draisatl on the ice they nearly did, they are simply playing with fire. One goal and I would have thought the team would go into panic mode and turtle in front of Sorokin. They seem to be learning though with the defense ramming players against the boards if the opponent decided to cruise behind the net, but I don't like the amount of time they spent in the D-zone to close out the game. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, this seems like the most sensible D-line-up, but I think Bortuzzo brings a level of toughness, meanness, maybe a tad dirty at times that this team needed badly. They seem to play bigger with him in the line-up. Love the toughness Dobson has been putting on display the past couple of games. It's good when he plays mad.

I do like Bortuzzo too and I see why Blues fans loved him, but he is a very limited player at this point. I have zero issue with him filling in for one of the regulars from time to time to someone a rest like Mayfield. I kind of want the Isles to do some load management for Dobson later in the season, but then I think you just have to let Secretariat go and be the thoroughbred that he is.

I think this trial by fire for Bolduc will help him in the long run. He isn't drowning anymore like he was earlier and is looking better. The kid is 6'4 220 and can skate, he also had a very abbreviated development due to Covid and injury. There is a lot there, patience will be rewarded. The Isles do have a track record of developing d-men. Dobson has been handled almost perfectly and look at him now, but he is an anomaly and a Unicorn. Bolduc just turned 23 and is where Dobson was in his rookie season. Bolduc will be our #6 next season.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Three weeks ago, the mantra was to completely tear it down. Now we're back to going for it at the deadline. Until the next losing streak...

Lambert hockey >>>> Trotz Hockey
Dumb

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad