GDT: GDT #31 New York Islanders vs Edmonton Oilers | December 19th | 7:30 PM | F/3-1 W

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Barzal is really becoming a great player
Not crazy about him extending his shifts on bis own. He frequently stays on 10-15 seconds or so longer than his linemates and looks gassed.
This is especially true in OT situations. He needs to get off before he's running on empty.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Strange game. The Isles were great in the 2nd and played a great defensive game, but the way the Oilers dominated the play in the first and third were strange to watch. Despite the pressure, the Isles looked calm.
Dare I say it, almost Trotzian?

The lack of talent on D was really telling in the 3rd. NYI were consistently locked in as a result of the forwards being very disciplined/conservative about their assignments + not winning faceoffs. The D lacked the energy/poise to make good exits. But most of the shots against were of the thoughts and prayers variety.

Does anyone get away with more offensive interference than Draisaitl? I don't know how he doesn't take penalties every PP. He doesn't tie up sticks during passes, he whacks sticks as a prelude, whacks sticks as to a pass, whacks sticks before pushing someone out of his way. He's the hockey equivalent of Bill Lambeer.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I have some thoughts on the game. looking for others perspectives on this,, as many of you know more hockey than I do... (though I wont say who)

West vs East

West, run and gun, open style
East, more defensively driven

I had the very rare privledge of sitting down low last night. Gives a much different angle and look of the game. Games go much faster too. Just some of my thoughts...

Skinner -- during a TV timeout, he wiped his face with a towel and instead of throwing it back to the trainer, threw it on top of backup goalies head. :) Of course, this was when Oil was up 1-0

Needless to say the skill of some of Oil players is off the charts.. but it seems to be that they had a number of chances where they "over-passed" -- as an Isles fan, we certainly have seen enough of this over the years (not mentioning anyones names) but when you have a guy like McDavid -- and certainly on their PP with Draisaitl --a number of times i was thinking that it was going to be buried and it was mishandled/blocke/never made it to the net. Defensemen look to get a shot through, and preferable on net -- but skilled forwards, should be shooting.

Now a portion of this could be the shot blocking/lane clogging strategy... but perhaps also a function of both over passing and Oil playing an East coast team?

I really only watch the Isles -- so im not terribly familar with West coast and certainly not Edmonton. Thoughts here?

Picture1.jpg

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I really only watch the Isles -- so im not terribly familar with West coast and certainly not Edmonton. Thoughts here?
The history of skilled EDM players underperforming on LI 'because' of inferior ice is as long & repetitive as conflict in the middle east.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Gonna bookmark the Dumb for later reference . . .
No need to. It's incredibly dumb to say now. Trotz has won a cup, two Jack Adams and 80 more playoff games than Lambert. Not to mention back to back semis appearances with NYI. To suggest that Lambert is "better" than Trotz at this point is not only super dumb but one of the dumbest things that poster has said. Which is pretty remarkable. How about we wait for Lambert to win a playoff round (or six) with the Islanders before making comparisons to a HOF coach?

Reactions: Strummergas

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Theres like at most, 20 ranger fans at UBS for whatever reason. I was walking to the stadium and saw these two girls, and one had a Rangers LaFontaine jersey freezing her ass off.

I saw her too -- walking around back to Emerald after the game. everyone was goofing on her.. lol

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Strange game. The Isles were great in the 2nd and played a great defensive game, but the way the Oilers dominated the play in the first and third were strange to watch. Despite the pressure, the Isles looked calm.
The Oilers can make plays from anywhere. They're never out of it. After Sorokin shook off the goal he gave up, we did a great job of supporting him by keeping most of the Oilers attempts to the outside. Their real scoring threats came when they were able to jam the front of the net. Sorokin was good at controlling his rebounds. A lot of one and dones for the Oil.

Isles carried most of the play in the 1st period.
The last 5 minutes of the 1st. The first 15 was all Edmonton.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
No need to. It's incredibly dumb to say now. Trotz has won a cup, two Jack Adams and 80 more playoff games than Lambert. Not to mention back to back semis appearances with NYI. To suggest that Lambert is "better" than Trotz at this point is not only super dumb but one of the dumbest things that poster has said. Which is pretty remarkable. How about we wait for Lambert to win a playoff round (or six) with the Islanders before making comparisons to a HOF coach?

How about you actually LOOK UP Barry's record?

1) Took him SIX years to make the playoffs the first time - everyone who sucks his toes here would be clamoring for his head if he had 6 years here without making the playoffs.

2) Took him TWELVE years to WIN ONE playoff series. If he were still the HC here with that record, we'd be calling him out every day.

3) Took him NINETEEN years to get past the 2nd round, with Washington. With a plethora of offensive talent.

4) In 23 seasons of coaching, he missed the playoffs NINE times. Before us, he made ONE Conference final, with Washington.

5) 83-79 career playoff record

Lane is one for one in making the playoffs. Not saying which is better. Just saying the ludicrous belief that a coach with BT's career record makes him some sort of God, as too many believe here, is revisionism at its worst.

There are 19 coaches with 2 or more rings, and BT is not one of them. Three of them are Cooper, Sullivan and Daryl Sutter. Pens fans are clamoring for Sullivan's testicles to be donated to the Iceland volcano. Quenneville has 3.

I FULLY prefer how we are playing right now; it is far closer to what is needed to win a Cup in today's NHL and with the way the Refs call the game.

Reactions: Rehabguy

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022

1) Took him SIX years to make the playoffs the first time - everyone who sucks his toes here would be clamoring for his head if he had 6 years here without making the playoffs.

2) Took him TWELVE years to WIN ONE playoff series. If he were still the HC here with that record, we'd be calling him out every day.

3) Took him NINETEEN years to get past the 2nd round, with Washington. With a plethora of offensive talent.

4) In 23 seasons of coaching, he missed the playoffs NINE times. Before us, he made ONE Conference final, with Washington.

Lane is one for one in making the playoffs. Not saying which is better. Just saying the ludicrous belief that a coach with BT's career record makes him some sort of God, as too many believe here, is revisionism at its worst.

There are 19 coaches with 2 or more rings, and BT is not one of them. Three of them are Cooper, Sullivan and Daryl Sutter. Pens fans are clamoring for Sullivan's testicles to be donated to the Iceland volcano. Quenneville has 3.

I FULLY prefer how we are playing right now; it is far closer to what is needed to win a Cup in today's NHL and with the way the Refs call the game.
JFC give it a rest. You people were yelling "Fire Lane!" two weeks ago and now he's better than Trotz.

LOL.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

[mod edit] How many times posters like him were shitting all over Barzal.

I totally agree I fully prefer how we are playing right now. I never said Lambert is a better coach than Trotz only that for this team Lambert’s brand of hockey is better suited to this team and probably many other talented teams in the NHL. How many times over the years did I say this team is more talented than it appears but it was Trotz’s risk adverse system that was holding several of these players down most notably Barzal.

I appreciate what Trotz tried to do for this club and the victories along the way but after watching how this team ultimately approached and performed in the later rounds of the playoffs told me this team will not win the prize under Trotz. The season end were so anticlimactic and predictable that as Lou said the team simply needed a different voice.

And as much shit as I gave Lou and rightfully called out those who were giving him more credit than he deserved early right now I am willing to give him high praise and full marks for where he has brought this roster. Yes- his roster now. Many here including myself were calling out Lambert recently and again probably rightfully so, but by doing and him hearing the fans displeasure caused him to pivot and loosen up the reins a bit and just let the boys play hockey he deserves all the credit as well.

The problem with Trotz was that he would never pivot and so he had to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
So somehow we've gotten to the point where Trotz was actually holding the team back during his tenure here. Bizarro world.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
All of this talk that Lambert > Trotz, and the Islanders have still lost more games than they’ve won this year. Lol

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Lou would say so
No, he would not. Even if you assume he was fired for performance for his last season, there is no way another coach gets that roster to back to back semi final appearances. Fair to suggest that the team needed a new voice in 2022, but to suggest that Trotz was the reason we missed out on a cup is R-word level shit.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
All of this talk that Lambert > Trotz, and the Islanders have still lost more games than they’ve won this year. Lol
Again, no one is saying Lambert is a better coach than Trotz, but this team the style of hockey he has them playing right now absolutely suits this team. Does anyone here want to go back to Trotz hockey? JFC we actually have a power play now. The team thinks offense. They play with creativity. They cheat the other way. The D jump into the play. We have "the kid" playing hockey like he did his calder year. We haven't seen this in years. The team is exciting to watch again and everyone is taking notice. This isn't Doug Weight hockey as many of you commented before. This is good hockey. This is Islander hockey.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Congrats! You're the first member of my new TRHOHFIT!

Details later . . .

Lost in the win yesterday was how Holmstrom stripped McDavid on the right side of the goal one on one. I think it was late first/early second period. Remarkable play during an Edmonton push. Basically face to face and Holmstrom reached out and took it right off McD's stick.

Again, no one is saying Lambert is a better coach than Trotz, but this team the style of hockey he has them playing right now absolutely suits this team. Does anyone here want to go back to Trotz hockey? JFC we actually have a power play now. The team thinks offense. They play with creativity. They cheat the other way. The D jump into the play. We have "the kid" playing hockey like he did his calder year. We haven't seen this in years. The team is exciting to watch again and everyone is taking notice. This isn't Doug Weight hockey as many of you commented before. This is good hockey. This is Islander hockey.

Ferraro was GUSHING about the power play last night, pointing out how much talent was on it all around and how it will be top-end the rest of the season.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Details later . . .

Lost in the win yesterday was how Holmstrom stripped McDavid on the right side of the goal one on one. I think it was late first/early second period. Remarkable play during an Edmonton push. Basically face to face and Holmstrom reached out and took it right off McD's stick.

I am having a hard time thinking of a comp for Holmstrom from past Isles. For some reason, I think of a bigger mix of Benoit Hogue and Claude Lapointe. I know Lapointe was an undersized grinder, but my mind keeps gravitating to him for some odd reason. Hogue and Ferraro had that Vulcan mind meld thing going like Pageau and Holmstrom do. Lapointe was a fan favorite so that's probably why I think of him.

Looks like we got a gem in Holmstrom, kudos to the scouting team for him.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016

Details later . . .
I assume it’s the usual on-brand ad hominem attack, but can’t wait to hear more.

Ending up on the same side of the argument as Garth - I mean, err, RehabGuy - should be ringing some alarm bells for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Nizami Ganjavi

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Ferraro was GUSHING about the power play last night, pointing out how much talent was on it all around and how it will be top-end the rest of the season.
Dobson and Horvat have really elevated things offensively. Hopefully we can get some of our injured defenseman back and improve the PK as well. Other than the blown leads, this team has looked dynamite.

Ferraro and Buccigross were definitely very complimentary all night. Nice to hear Chicken Parm talk about the '93 run so fondly. That was a super fun team to watch.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3