GDT: GDT #27 New York Islanders vs Toronto Maple Leafs | December 11th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 OTW

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I hope everyone has taped up their ankles by the amount of jumping on and off the fence, a key to their recent success has they’ve added Reilly who really is not afraid to jump into the play and the removal of Wahlstrom in place of Gauthier ! Really makes a difference but they would elevate themselves into a contender if they can find a way to get Hanifin without losing anyone but Wally and Picks plus something from Bridgeport

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You can complain about Lambert all you want (and I will continue to do so because he is a bozo), but at the end of the day your best players have to be your best players regardless of whether you have a HOF coach behind the bench or Fred Flintstone (Yabba Dabba Doo!).

And on that OT goal, the Islanders’ best players we’re indeed their best players.

Sorokin - stoned Matthews and made it look easy
Dobson - safely broke the puck out (plus had a three point night)
Barzal - Beautiful saucer pass at full speed
Horvat - Snipe in the toy department

That’s a good sign.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Uhhh, is there any precedent for a team congratulating an opposing player for a milestone accomplished in the same game against them?

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC

Horvat wins it in overtime to end a terrific game...but this was a great moment. Huge drama, shot of Joe Tavares celebrating was fantastic, Islanders acknowledging it on scoreboard, while their fans can't stand it. Just awesome theatre.

I'm afraid this is the risk of using the the smug "uhhh" to start a response to a poster you disagree with. It is fun at the time, but when you're wrong you come off smelling like azz.

Learn from this and move on.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
So can anyone answer why Mayfield was left on the ice with under 1 minute to go after being on the ice for a long time and the other 4 players changed?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The amount of butt hurt from Leafs fans is hilarious. Love that the Isles spoiled it and his milestone achievement is in a loss, fitting his accumulation of meaningless points throughout his career.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
reilly has been OUTSTANDING!!!! im surprised he has only got a few mentions… when p and p come back they better leave reilly alone!!’ i believe he is everything the isles hoped aho would be!!!! and as for jt fkkkk you scumbg!!!! guy would rather celebrate his personal achievement rather than celebrate a team win!!! he will always be a POS in my eyes!!!! can someone tell me how lou was able to get reilly??? why did no other team claim him?? other than that breakaway he gave up against the kings, hes been awesome!!! lastly i have to say…. mayfield is absolutely trash!!! he looks fkn handicapped out there and to have him on the ice in the last minute of the game is absolutely unacceptable!!!! come on LANE we have to be better than that!!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
May be a bit controversial, but I like the Isles quicker version of team. As much as I love Pulock and Martin. I would move Pulock and move Martin to the front office.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
May be a bit controversial, but I like the Isles quicker version of team. As much as I love Pulock and Martin. I would move Pulock and move Martin to the front office.
Matt Martin, a true islander warrior since he into the league from Sarnia. Built Windsor tough. Perhaps MM has one last kick at the can this spring but it appears to be his swan song. Interesting about pulock, see what the market determines eh?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The amount of butt hurt from Leafs fans is hilarious. Love that the Isles spoiled it and his milestone achievement is in a loss, fitting his accumulation of meaningless points throughout his career.
I was scanning the main board thread, priceless. Free entertainment. Leafs fans sure seem to care how Isles fans feel about their loser Captain John Tavares. The guy has to be the Lenny Wadkins of hockey. 1000 pts 77 pts season pace. Never close to winning a Cup. As I said last night, when McDavid or Mackinnon have 2 pt nights, you notice them because they dictate play, they dominate the ice. If Tavares tip and accidental tip pass did not account for 2 pts, you would notice the skating in mud Tavares. He's painfully slow, has zero personality, his team takes after him. He is gone, who cares, he is not Sid Crosby, who is the enemy, but I respect the hell out of the guy. He is not an individual stats padder like the loser Tavares will always be. Boo away fans, you pay hard earned money to view a live game, it is your right.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not controversial to me

Pelech for Hanafin works for me.

Dobson - Romanov
Pulock - Hanafin
Reilly - Mayfield
Aho/Bortuzzo in reserve

Martin should only see the lineup due to injuries to others, he's clearly lost his spot to Fasching.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I was scanning the main board thread, priceless. Free entertainment. Leafs fans sure seem to care how Isles fans feel about their loser Captain John Tavares. The guy has to be the Lenny Wadkins of hockey. 1000 pts 77 pts season pace. Never close to winning a Cup. As I said last night, when McDavid or Mackinnon have 2 pt nights, you notice them because they dictate play, they dominate the ice. If Tavares tip and accidental tip pass did not account for 2 pts, you would notice the skating in mud Tavares. He's painfully slow, has zero personality, his team takes after him. He is gone, who cares, he is not Sid Crosby, who is the enemy, but I respect the hell out of the guy. He is not an individual stats padder like the loser Tavares will always be. Boo away fans, you pay hard earned money to view a live game, it is your right.

Given Canada's history with censorship during Covid, I'm surprised they haven't yet banned booing, punishable by losing access to your bank account

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So, in the last four games, without Pelech and Pulock, we're 4-0 against teams with a combined record of 61-31-12, including the 0-2-2 vs us.

Anyone willing to give Lane a LITTLE credit?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Maybe, we would just need Gary to let us over the cap by 12mil. Everyone forgets that JT's money would have meant weaknesses elsewhere. So now go back and pick out the players you would have to remove from the roster. to make it work. Also don't forget that it's not 12mil flat, if you take off 2 guys making 6 each still have to add someone back making some salary.
Not sure about "weaknesses" but of course money would've had to have been allocated differently. Supposedly we were in on Panarin and other high priced FA's so the appetite to add a big contract was clearly there.

We've been desperate for more offense forever now and was the number one reason we couldn't get by TB. To somehow suggest that we were/are better off without Tavares is 100% sour grapes. Tavares-Barzal-Nelson down the middle in 2021 and 2022 is cup caliber.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The record doesn’t matter. What matters at least in the past few weeks the team is learning how to play to win and not play not to lose. For whatever reason under Trotz winning record nonetheless the team never developed a killer instinct so it never took that necessary step. This team is something else and has the opportunity to be something special. We’ll see how the season unfolds but things are definitely looking on the up. Again, all credit to Lambert to do whatever he did to ignite this team and Lou for doing his job to replace any injured players.
my god

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I wouldn't call him elite by any stretch, but when he's on, he does what he's supposed to. Scores, hunts pucks down, wins board battles, wins FOs, and plays D.

He's a very good and smart player but he's definitely not elite. That word is thrown around way too much these days.

So, in the last four games, without Pelech and Pulock, we're 4-0 against teams with a combined record of 61-31-12, including the 0-2-2 vs us.

A little, but he was kind of backed into playing these guys. The late game collapses are still happening and that's the biggest issue. Just because they're winning in OT doesn't make me any happier about them. I'd still get rid of Lane at this moment.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He's a very good and smart player but he's definitely not elite. That weird is thrown around way too much these days.

A little, but he was kind of backed into playing these guys. The late game collapses are still happening and that's the biggest issue. Just because they're winning in OT doesn't make me any happier about them. I'd still get rid of Lane at this moment.

Picky picky . . . I guess you weren't an Al Davis fan or a Bill Parcells fan

I caught the Sportsnet highlight video this morning and they said Matthews now has TWENTY TWO posts and crossbars to go with the 19 goals. That's unreal.

Reactions: mm11

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Matt is Mr Islander. I can see front office for him. Lou loves him. I am sure he would make a good colour guy when Butch hangs it up. Pulock would be good trade bait. I would keep Pelech. I didn't mind Reilly's puck moving.

Let's be clear here - Bobby Nystrom is Mr. Islander lol

I would not be surprised if Matty sticks around with the club in some capacity. But if anyone is being groomed for a color commentator role after Butchie it's Hickey. We can't be giving broadcasting jobs to every Islander we love! lol

Clutter would be a solid media personality as well.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Lane's first year as NHL head coach he took a team to the playoffs. The 3rd period collapses this season have been concerning but looking at things holistically, they are 2nd in their division and on pace for 100 points. Can't make a coaching change now.

I would not be surprised if Matty sticks around with the club in some capacity. But if anyone is being groomed for a color commentator role after Butchie it's Hickey. We can't be giving broadcasting jobs to every Islander we love! lol

What ever happened to DiPietro?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Touche Bobby was a great Islander, pretty sure the Isles would not have won 4 cups with Bobby and Jethro. They needed that toughness especially in the 80's and both could play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad