GDT: GDT #26 New York Islanders vs Los Angeles Kings | December 9th | 7:30 PM | F/OTW 3-2

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think if Kings fans watched Lee attempt to skate with speed more often, they'd realize how ridiculous the claim is.

I'm sure we're going to see warts with Bortuzzo, but mere competence was a nice change. It's too bad because I like Aho - I want to see a smaller guy succeed. But he doesn't just loses battles nearly all the time now.

I'm kind of surprised Reilly only has 13 goals in his career, because he seems to waste no time getting the puck on net when he has opportunities.

Echoing props to Mayfield. I suppose he got the penalty for being the "2nd man in" in that fight when he stepped in for Horvat. I don't have a problem with him getting the extra 2 there, and I don't have a problem with him taking the penalty there. This was a situation imo where the refs understood 100% what was going on. No instigator because Englund willingly dropped the gloves. The only person I blame in that situation is Barzal. Hopefully he doesn't put himself in that situation again. Englund's hit was polite, if anything. I understand Horvat wanting to back his guy, but like Butch, I don't like the idea you have to fight after a perfectly fine, level hit like Englund's.

Sorokin was good. He's luckily avoided a lot of criticism, because it's getting harder to discount the difference in level of control we've seen when Varlamov plays. I hope he's turning it around.
I agree with the notion that a big, legal hit doesn't require someone to drop the gloves. It requires Barzal to pick his head up next time. It was a perfectly clean hit. That being said, I don't really have a problem with Bo stepping in to stand up for his teammate. The game is so fast, its hard to discern what's a clean hit and what's not in real time. He saw his teammate get destroyed, I'm not gonna kill him for reacting that way (even though I'm not really a fan of it).

And agree - props to Mayfield for stepping in....even though they gave up a PP goal afterwards (and the penalty was legit - Mayfield stepping in to a fight started by someone else deserves 2 min - not 17), it was a net positive from a team perspective.

Of course, that's the second fight in a row where we conceded a goal right after. I thought Lee's fight was going to rally the team. Instead, they gave up a killer goal shortly after. Whaddyagonnado?

Reactions: saintunspecified

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
The way Lee skates the earth does appear flat, but that flat slope is somehow always always up hill. His stride is Sisyphaen.

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense but if I tried to make it more clear, I'd need to specify a vector that has a positive y axis slope relative to the perpendicular of the force of gravity).
Do you know there is a an actual site that has actual speed data from the NHL that has been tracking all metrics the last three years. Nobody like facts because they ruin narratives and make you look stupid. My apologies.

Lee is actually above the League average in Top speed and top 76% percentile for bursts 20-22mph and 18-20mph.

In fact each of the last three years he has been getting faster.

Edge.nhl.com

This is the current season below.

League average
by position (F/D)
Anders LeeLeague AveragePercentile
Top Speed (mph)21.8821.8756
22+ mph bursts01Below 50th
20-22 mph bursts332876
18-20 mph bursts14611975

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Do you know there is a an actual site that has actual speed data from the NHL that has been tracking all metrics the last three years. Your narrative will fall horribly short but it at least this is factual.

Lee is actually above the League average in Top speed and top 76% percentile for bursts 20-22mph and 18-20mph.
Uh oh.

Reactions: ndgolden

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
In fact each of the last three years he has been getting faster.
If you watch him in the defensive zone, it's pretty obvious that he has a hard time getting himself moving, which is not at all surprising for a person who dealt with a lateral cartilage injury. But, seriously, it's not his fault. I don't think he's not trying. I think it's pretty damn hard to be a big upper-body 230 pound agile skater. I think it's much less hard to have good top speed in that context.

Also, Lee flies the zone more than any NYI winger. His transition game is typically tipping pucks at the offensive blueline.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I’d love to see a fastest skater comp between Anders, Pat Maroon, Nick Ritchie, Matt Martin, Ryan Reaves and UFA Josh Bailey. Would be fun to watch that over the usual guys.

Morning Line
Lee 3-1
Bailey 6-1
Maroon 7-1
Ritchie 8-1
Martin 8-1
Reaves 9-1
but the favorite, at 2-1, is the GEICO Walrus

Pick 6 Carryover will never pay out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad