GDT: 2/4/05 NHL & NHLPA Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
On the "Golb" of which we do not speak, under the heading: "Talks Continue to be Positive":

"The only thing I can say is that the Cap issue may have been worked out. Pretty vague I know."

Ooops...but then again, this "reggolb" hasn't exactly been right about...oh, let's see...ANYTHING.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Oh well
Its not the end of the world

I actually kinda feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders... dont have to think about this anymore.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
GreenBud said:
Vote p...., V-O-T-E!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I agree..... Maybe Goodenow as pissed because he knows he lost and maybe he's gonna lose his job.

If he doesn't allow a vote......its gonna get really ugly from here forward. Players are gonna get pissed really fast and he's gonna be their target....

Last edited by a moderator:

KrazyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2003
2010 Host City
According to Eklund (in his chatroom), they "shook on a deal" last night that would have been a six year hybrid of a lux tax/cap , but "the owners went back on their word and screwed the players" and that's why Goodenow was so upset. :lol

If there is one good side to the season being cancelled it's the fact that Eklund's 15 minutes of fame are finally up. :handclap:

Vic Rattlehead*

davidwii said:
I agree..... Maybe Goodenow as pissed because he knows he lost and maybe he's gonna lose his job.

If he doesn't allow a vote......its gonna get really ugly from here forward. Players are gonna get pissed really fast and he's gonna be their target....
Any bets on when they officially cancel the season?

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
KrazyCanuck19 said:
According to Eklund (in his chatroom), they "shook on a deal" last night that would have been a six year hybrid of a lux tax/cap , but "the owners went back on their word and screwed the players" and that's why Goodenow was so upset. :lol

If there is one good side to the season being cancelled it's the fact that Eklund's 15 minutes of fame are finally up. :handclap:

man that guy is wack !!! one minute this and the next minute that .....I could open a blog and spew the same crap he is .....

I am putting all my hockey stuff in a box ...everything is coming out of my closet and off my walls TONITE !!!

I'm done I do not need to be a fan of this league anymore ...PATHETIC

I hope the union gets crushed and replacement players are playing next year

JRgavemeaNTC

Jan 6, 2005
Raleigh
Per nhlpa.com

NHLPA STATEMENT FOLLOWING MEETING IN NEW YORK

NEW YORK (February 4, 2005): At the conclusion of today's meeting in New York, National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) Senior Director Ted Saskin released the following statement:

"The parties met again today for approximately four hours and the discussions broke off with no progress to report."

ResidentAlien*

I wonder if they the League realized that the players were starting to cave so they just decided to get tuffer.
What a crappy week,turn 40 yesterday,,,then this :mad:

Is there anything left in that bottle?

Vic Rattlehead*

Well, I guess the only losers in this mess is the fans. We lose a season of NHL hockey, while the NHL and NHLPA let it slide away.

chiavsfan

This league will NOT be able to continue after this...all these people who say it won't affect them as much as another sport are fooling themselves. The greed involved in this negotiation was utterly rediculous, and the NHL will NOT survive this.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
i will not say that i would like to see goodenow dead but i would like him removed either by the players or by a fan by any which way he would deem necessary. maybe the league has figured they have already paid the price of losing a season and after doing that everybody is going to damn well play by their rules! no negotiating anymore it's our way or the highway even if it means replacements! pronger -damphousse-hasek-chelios-YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY UNEMPLOYED! as a fan of a smaller market team (even though i firmly believe we are financially more stable than a lot of people give us credit for and in a lot better shape than a lot of other teams) i still fear of what the league will look like after the dust is settled and how many owners will be willing to see this thing through.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Dunno about y'all and I can tell by the doomsday posts that "season is over" and the "NHL is done as we know it"....yada yada yada, that I'm likely in the minority opinion on this but I happen to think this is not over yet...not by a longshot even with the supposed comments by Saskin and that Goodenow was "pi$$ed".

As evidenced by other very nasty and contemptuous negotiations that we've seen over the years in the major sports, especially such as in baseball, just when all hope is lost and things can't look any drearier(can it look any worse than it does right this very moment for hockey...eh?), that's when a deal is struck!.

I mean would it shock anyone in here if the two sides end up meeting again early next week...huh? I know I for one wouldn't be suprised in the slightest as I still think there is way too much money to be had and too much money to divied up for either side to say "just $crew it".

So, until I start seeing "drop dead" dates or until I see Bettman at a press conference state the season is over, I still think we are merely in the final final stages of what are normal negotiation strategies. There is still some time left to have something of a season. Sure it won't be a long regular season but we could still get 20 or so games in even if they settled 2 weeks from now.

So, like the rest of you, I'm a bit dissapointed in that an announcement hasn't been made that our beloved hockey will return. But, as much as some don' t want to admit, there is still time left for an agreement to be had and I still think a deal will be reached....So relax folks, today was just another part of the negotiation head games....I'm convinced of that....cheers boys

-Maxie

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Maximus said:
Dunno about y'all and I can tell by the doomsday posts that "season is over" and the "NHL is done as we know it"....yada yada yada, that I'm likely in the minority opinion on this but I happen to think this is not over yet...not by a longshot even with the supposed comments by Saskin and that Goodenow was "pi$$ed".

As evidenced by other very nasty and contemptuous negotiations that we've seen over the years in the major sports, especially such as in baseball, just when all hope is lost and things can't look any drearier(can it look any worse than it does right this very moment for hockey...eh?), that's when a deal is struck!.

I mean would it shock anyone in here if the two sides end up meeting again early next week...huh? I know I for one wouldn't be suprised in the slightest as I still think there is way too much money to be had and too much money to divied up for either side to say "just $crew it".

So, until I start seeing "drop dead" dates or until I see Bettman at a press conference state the season is over, I still think we are merely in the final final stages of what are normal negotiation strategies. There is still some time left to have something of a season. Sure it won't be a long regular season but we could still get 20 or so games in even if they settled 2 weeks from now.

So, like the rest of you, I'm a bit dissapointed in that an announcement hasn't been made that our beloved hockey will return. But, as much as some don' t want to admit, there is still time left for an agreement to be had and I still think a deal will be reached....So relax folks, today was just another part of the negotiation head games....I'm convinced of that....cheers boys

-Maxie

The NHL doesn't say it's over. I'm with you.

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/generated/7futtUvY06.html

Collective bargaining update
NEW YORK (February 4, 2005) - National Hockey League Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer Bill Daly today released this statement following a collective bargaining meeting with representatives of the NHL Players' Association:

"We had extensive and constructive talks over the past two days. While there are no future meetings scheduled, we have agreed to keep the lines of communication open.

"Despite several media reports to the contrary, we have no intention of making any further announcement relating to collective bargaining or the status of the season at this time."

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maximus said:

-Maxie

I feel exactly the same way...

This isin't done, i'm not stupid enought to think that they met for over 13 hours in 2 days to have no progress,, nice try...just like I don't believe that the NHL will announce the cancellation of the season today/tonight, unfortunately, there's still time left to get this done, which means another week or 2 of anguish for hockey fans, as bad as it can get for the NHL is the season is cancelled, imagine if they cancel the season after meeting for so many hours, I mean I could understand if the NHL cancelled the season after weeks with no contact, but what kind of reaction would fans have if they cancelled the season after they know that so many fans have been glued to their TV sets, or computer screens, or listening to the radio...there's gotta be more to this

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
IMO both sides are overlooking the major issue of overseas players. With playing overseas being recommended the the NHLPA, some players have signed contracts that do not allow them to return if the strike proceeds beyond a certain date. That date was most frequently in January. Bettman has little to lose at this point by cancelling the season, because GM's around the league will be forced to deal with the contracts that prohibit players from returning. Forcing a season into being at this point will push a lot people very hard to organize it. Some of the European leagues could easily push a lot of NHL players into harsh financial penalties if they returned for a short season with little remuneration.

This negotiation has been has been loaded with pitfalls by both parties. It is like watching the Cuban Missile crisis all over again. Both parties seem to have seriously underestimated the resolution of their opposite. In this case, Goodenow appears to have underestimated Bettman to larger degree. Using the missile crisis analogy, Goodenow is probably now realizing that Bettman would push the button cancelling the season with the attendant loss of monies for all parties.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
This is not over for anyone except Bob and he knows it. I am only pissed because they are still yanking us around, this will go into yet another week. I think a vote is coming. Maybe Bob was po'd because of JR, maybe because he wanted a better cap deal to give the guys to vote on? Bottom line, with neither side saying much, we really don't know crap. which is the most frustrating and has everyone jumping off bridges with every word.

I still say we will have hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad