Player Discussion Gaudreau's Next Contract

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I would prefer it to be 5 years, I don't like the idea of giving him a 7-8 year contract. But some team would in free agency so we'll have to as well.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would prefer it to be 5 years, I don't like the idea of giving him a 7-8 year contract. But some team would in free agency so we'll have to as well.
Here’s a question: if he says he will take the 5 year deal if we offer 10m per year do you do it? I’d be more inclined to say yes to 2m more if it shaved 2/3 years less.

Reactions: CamPopplestone

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Here’s a question: if he says he will take the 5 year deal if we offer 10m per year do you do it? I’d be more inclined to say yes to 2m more if it shaved 2/3 years less.
100%. I'd go a higher AAV for less term. It's the mid to late 30s years I'm worried about.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'd go full 8 years for less AAV, especially if there's no NMC / Full NTC in the last years. Gaudreau is all about skill, that doesnt disappear in the mid/late 30's like speed or strenght

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
8 years at 8.5 is what I think it will take to keep both Gaudreau and Tkatchuk.
Tkachuk wouldn't sign that when he can accept his QO at 9 AAV for one season then walk to a UFA bidding war. His number will start with a 9 minimum

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Tre won't let Gaudreau walk, so he won't go to NJ unless we trade him. If I were Tre, it'd cost Zacha and Sharangovich.

Mony - Lindy - Chucky
Zacha - Sharangovich - Coleman
Mangi - Backlund - Dube
The Sutter Line

There's no way NJ trades that much for a rental, we'd just wait until he became available in FA.

Reactions: Kahvi

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
There's no way NJ trades that much for a rental, we'd just wait until he became available in FA.

Johnny going to NJ would not be on a rental basis, and a trade could happen on the presumption that there would already be a deal in place.

It's strange how some people can think the same player to be worth $9M a season to re-sign, but not be worth two players with a combined total of 370 NHL games between them in a trade.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Johnny going to NJ would not be on a rental basis, and a trade could happen on the presumption that there would already be a deal in place.

It's strange how some people can think the same player to be worth $9M a season to re-sign, but not be worth two players with a combined total of 370 NHL games between them in a trade.
Johnny going to NJ early proposes that New Jersey is confident that either A: they are going to be competitive and he will put them over the top or B: they need to ensure that he signs with them by getting him early. A is pretty clearly out of the question for a team with a young core, and B isn't enough of a worry to pay (as in your lineup) two top 6ers with upside.

There's a value proposition in there where someone can be worth 9M to re-sign, but just signing them outright for 9 million has the same long-term value relative to giving up two players for the ability to have him for an extra couple months.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

If he was already willing to sign with NJ long term I doubt we'd send two young top 6 players over for him when we could just wait. Devils aren't in win now mode.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Johnny going to NJ early proposes that New Jersey is confident that either A: they are going to be competitive and he will put them over the top or B: they need to ensure that he signs with them by getting him early. A is pretty clearly out of the question for a team with a young core, and B isn't enough of a worry to pay (as in your lineup) two top 6ers with upside.

There's a value proposition in there where someone can be worth 9M to re-sign, but just signing them outright for 9 million has the same long-term value relative to giving up two players for the ability to have him for an extra couple months.

Well I doubt we'll see much movement on his contract until the season is in full swing anyway, for the Flames to showcase him, and for Johnny to prove his value, but I think he would get both better term and AAV in NJ that he would in Calgary if Tre were to trade him now.

Just because I got Zacha and Sharangovich in my top-six doesn't mean they'd be in everybody's lol I actually had NJ adding a pick in my original proposal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well I doubt we'll see much movement on his contract until the season is in full swing anyway, for the Flames to showcase him, and for Johnny to prove his value, but I think he would get both better term and AAV in NJ that he would in Calgary if Tre were to trade him now.

Just because I got Zacha and Sharangovich in my top-six doesn't mean they'd be in everybody's lol I actually had NJ adding a pick in my original proposal.

Gaudreau's best bet for max AAV is to go to UFA.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not signing or trading Johnny before the season is over would be Tre's death knell imo
If I had to guess, the team will be on the playoff bubble when the trade deadline rolls around and they just keep him, lose in the first round, and lose him in free agency.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
All Gaudreau's agent has to do is point at Tkachuk's 9 mil QO and ask Treliving who he values more
Yup and unlike Tkachuk Gaudreau wasn't allowed to make more than our captain when he signed his deal. If I'm Gaudreau I'm asking for 10 or I'm testing free agency

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
If I had to guess, the team will be on the playoff bubble when the trade deadline rolls around and they just keep him, lose in the first round, and lose him in free agency.

Sounds about right. It basically depends on where the Flames are in the standings at the All-Star break. If we're on the bubble, and GMs are listening, pulling the trigger on a deal might just be the best thing for all parties concerned. We should have a fairly clear idea of how our season is going well before the All-Star break. Some people are ready to stick a fork in it two games into preseason ffs lmao

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Sounds about right. It basically depends on where the Flames are in the standings at the All-Star break. If we're on the bubble, and GMs are listening, pulling the trigger on a deal might just be the best thing for all parties concerned. We should have a fairly clear idea of how our season is going well before the All-Star break. Some people are ready to stick a fork in it two games into preseason ffs lmao
I don't see a world where they trade their best offensive player if they're competing for a playoff spot. Not saying they shouldn't but if history is any indication they'll just keep him.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I don't see a world where they trade their best offensive player if they're competing for a playoff spot. Not saying they shouldn't but if history is any indication they'll just keep him.

It also depends on how talks have been going by then. If the two sides aren't close, it might be a matter of what's best for everyone long-term at that point. If we're playing well, his value would surely be higher, and gambling on the possibility of sneaking in as the 8th seed is not worth the risk of losing him for nothing imo

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tre won't let Gaudreau walk, so he won't go to NJ unless we trade him. If I were Tre, it'd cost Zacha and Sharangovich.

Mony - Lindy - Chucky
Zacha - Sharangovich - Coleman
Mangi - Backlund - Dube
The Sutter Line
Jersey is rebuilding, slowly. They arent in a position to give up futures and Johnny is essentially a rental, at this point. Rebuilding team don't trade futures, especially when they're a top 5 particular UFA destinations and they definitely don't trade their 1st OA.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd go full 8 years for less AAV, especially if there's no NMC / Full NTC in the last years. Gaudreau is all about skill, that doesnt disappear in the mid/late 30's like speed or strenght
Its not his skill that's been brought into question. Its his heart, drive, commitment to physical fitness and willingness to take physical contact, that is all very much effected by age. As good as he is, anything over 8x6, is a mistake.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
While I can certainly agree that a 5 year deal for Gaudreau would be preferable, the reality is that once Gaudreau is ‘past his prime’, our window will essentially be closed anyway so if those extra years bring down the cap hit, it’s a worthwhile trade off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad