Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, and Hamilton vs. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown, and Rielly

Flames vs. Leafs

• Total voters

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Rielly is so underrated, Hamilton is not a better D by such a large margin that this sways to Calgary. In fact I favour Rielly...

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Going forward:
Matthews>>Monahan
Gaudreau=Marner
Tkachuk>=Nylander
Brown>Bennet
Hamilton>Reilly

Slight edge to Toronto

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think Gaudreau matches up with Matthews pretty closely now and in the long run honestly.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Rielly is so underrated, Hamilton is not a better D by such a large margin that this sways to Calgary. In fact I favour Rielly...
Forget about Rielly being superior by pretty much every statistical measure while taking on top competition. Let HFBoards live in pretend-land.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Matthews > Gaudreau
Marner > Monahan
Nylander < Tkachuk (I like the way Tkachuk plays)
Rielly > Hamilton (yeah he is better)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Funny how you didn't read what he wrote. He never mentioned bennet. Gaudreau is better now and going forward.

lol. Matthews went from 40g and .84ppg to 34g/62games and 1.02 ppg

Gaudreau was a nobody at the same age, and he didnt have a ppg+ season until his draft + 7

Matthews >>> Monahan
Manrer < Gaudreau
Nylander = Tkachuk
Brown = Bennett
Rielly = Hamilton

players 3-5 are close. But the gap between matthews are monahan is a lot bigger than the gap between gaudreau and marner

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Forget about Rielly being superior by pretty much every statistical measure while taking on top competition. Let HFBoards live in pretend-land.

Yes Gio is a stud, but Hamilton and Gio were one of the best pairings in the league this year. You don't achieve that by having one of the guys not pull their own weight. Heck, most people don't even have Gio in their top 15 Dmen.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
The way I see it today, it's pretty much dead even:

Matthews = Gaudreau
Marner = Monahan
Nylander = Tkachuk
Bennett = Brown
Hamilton = Rielly

The way I see it going forward:

Matthews > Gaudreau
Marner > Monahan
Nylander < Tkachuk
Bennett > Brown
Hamilton = Rielly

I just feel like both Matthews and Marner are headed towards being 90+ point players in the very near future. That's how high I am on both of them. Matthews doing it while also being a complete two way force.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Matthews >>> Monahan

In many ways they're similar: good smarts, large bodies, good but not elite speed, responsible away from the puck and both can score pretty or ugly... Matthews just happens to be a highly elite sniper, ES producer, has superb hands and is the bigger body. He'll compete for trophies, Monahan remains a good, respectable top 20C.

Gaudreau > Marner

Mitch isn't there yet, but the age difference (3.5 years, 4 drafts) shows its not as unthinkable as it once was.

Tkachuk > = Nylander

Can Willy become the man he was born to be (70+ C who can RW)? Perhaps, but Tkachuk can do 60 and maybe more and he's a dirtbag, which I use in the best terms possible. He also has chemistry with Mitch, I trade 1 for 1, no idea how each teams' management feels.

Hamilton = Rielly

Both strong OFD who shoot different sides, no wrong answer here really.

On an individual its close but in a vacuum it's the Leafs and quite easily, because the best asset by far is Matthews.

Its basically: young franchise center + two young first line wingers + young top pair D versus young franchise winger + young top line C + young top six winger + young top pair D.

Last edited:

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
lol. Matthews went from 40g and .84ppg to 34g/62games and 1.02 ppg

Gaudreau was a nobody at the same age, and he didnt have a ppg+ season until his draft + 7

Matthews >>> Monahan
Manrer < Gaudreau
Nylander = Tkachuk
Brown = Bennett
Rielly = Hamilton

players 3-5 are close. But the gap between matthews are monahan is a lot bigger than the gap between gaudreau and marner
Gaudreau is still better then mathews today, that is shown with evidence, unlike your assumptions in the future.

Gaudreau > mathews
Monohan < marner
Tkachuk > nylander
Bennet > brown
Hamilton >> rielly

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The way I see it today, it's pretty much dead even:

Matthews = Gaudreau
Marner = Monahan
Nylander = Tkachuk
Bennett = Brown
Hamilton = Rielly

The way I see it going forward:

Matthews > Gaudreau
Marner > Monahan
Nylander < Tkachuk
Bennett > Brown
Hamilton = Rielly

I just feel like both Matthews and Marner are headed towards being 90+ point players in the very near future. That's how high I am on both of them. Matthews doing it while also being a complete two way force.

Gaudreau was on pace for a 100+ season. I think 90 would have been reached quite easily if the team didn't collapse and he didn't have the issues at home with his dad.

Either way, just how Marner and Matthews have room to grow, so does Gaudreau. 24/25 years old... IMO still can hit another gear or two.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Forget about Rielly being superior by pretty much every statistical measure

I mean, if you really feel you have to make things up it might be a sign your argument just isn't that strong.

Gaudreau just had a 60 assist season. Matthews career high is 69 pts. I know this site creams it's collective shorts every time a young center plays well in a top line role, but if we're being intellectually honest that just isn't all that rare anymore.

I would have Ferland up there instead of Bennett, but I realize he's a bit older.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Gaudreau was on pace for a 100+ season. I think 90 would have been reached quite easily if the team didn't collapse and he didn't have the issues at home with his dad.

Either way, just how Marner and Matthews have room to grow, so does Gaudreau. 24/25 years old... IMO still can hit another gear or two.

I don't disagree, he's a great player. But I think the odds of that happening are much lower compared to Matthews/Marner just based off historical trends. Players typically peak (at least offensively) at Gaudreau's age now. Matthews/Marner haven't even begin to enter their primes yet so unless something goes extremely wrong with their development we should expect some big improvements from them. And before I get a dozen responses saying how nothing's guaranteed and projection isn't always linear, I realize that. I'm just basing my opinion off what has the greater odds of happening (which is based of historical trends from the last 30+ years). Obviously far from a guarantee though because there's always exceptions.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pretty close now, but moving forward I took the Leafs group.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't disagree, he's a great player. But I think the odds of that happening are much lower compared to Matthews/Marner just based off historical trends. Players typically peak (at least offensively) at Gaudreau's age now. Matthews/Marner haven't even begin to enter their primes yet so unless something goes extremely wrong with their development we should expect some big improvements from them. And before I get a dozen responses saying how nothing's guaranteed and projection isn't always linear, I realize that. I'm just basing my opinion off what has the greater odds of happening (which is based of historical trends from the last 30+ years). Obviously far from a guarantee though because there's always exceptions.
I see what you're saying, but Gaudreau has been proving people wrong his whole career. He simply keeps getting better.

Flames are on the market for a top RW (i am hoping so anyways). A guy like Neal on Monahan/Gaudreau's line would only increase his totals. Frustrating to see how many times Johnny set people up last season and they simply could not finish. Our PP was f***ing horrible too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad