RDS: Gaston Therrien for the lols

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
"Il est toujours aussi optimiste avec les effectifs sous la main"

Optimist? Really Gaston?

He sucks so much. He must be doing this for free.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
A couple days ago the guys on l'Antichambre were talking about a forward at the point for PP's, Gaston suggested dd...

Really?

I know he is kind of d*** but did he really suggested that? DD would be the last name that would come to my mind to play there. Patch may be the only one i see that could be good at the role. He has the shots for and he is good defensively. In fact he is better when he can shot for far than close to the net i think.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Carey should've gotten a 99% grade and only based on the fact that he hasn't won all his starts...comments should've been "Change rien Carey, et surtout ne m'ecoute pas" lol
Desharnais at 82% is laughable

82% rating for our 1st line C who has 7 LESS points than our 2nd line centre, doesn't take any defensive zone face offs, play the PK or play in any other defensive capacity and is constantly out muscled or falls can't possibly be considered ridiculous.

You must be biased. :sarcasm::cry:

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Gaston Therrien is the biggest idiot on the face of the Earth (okay, maybe not the Earth, but definitely on RDS).

I don't know if he's just doing that to get a rise out of people and generate discussion or if he's just that stupid and devoid of hockey knowledge.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Lol someone in the comments of the article said they would rather have bournival than gallagher on the first line and they would rather have bouillon instead of beaulieu. They also said they wouldn't have traded for Petry and would take eller out of the lineup.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Lol someone in the comments of the article said they would rather have bournival than gallagher on the first line and they would rather have bouillon instead of beaulieu. They also said they wouldn't have traded for Petry and would take eller out of the lineup.

Idiots attract idiots.

Unfortunately, most of Gaston's fans are people attracted to his agenda. If it was up to him or his fans, you'd have a 90% french team, coach, management etc to represent Quebec. Winning, cups etc comes secondary to being able to interview all the players in French.

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
Am i the only one who thinks Gilbert should be left out ? Sucking the talent out of Petry. Gilbert keeps the team vulnerable defensively... Cough Cough * MT you funny bast**rd

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Gaston Therrien is simply the worst analysts out there....English, French and probably even Mexicans included. Even The Don is looking like Einstein compare to Therrien.

He's totally bias to anything having a french name (Parenteau having a higher note than Eller = LOL). His hockey knowledge is outdated and his analysis is putrid at best.

But what can we do, Sports medias are runs by Dinosaurs who are past their expiry date....don't talk to them about corsi or scoring chances, they simply don't know anything about it...they are still trying to understands +/-....

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Really?

I know he is kind of d*** but did he really suggested that? DD would be the last name that would come to my mind to play there. Patch may be the only one i see that could be good at the role. He has the shots for and he is good defensively. In fact he is better when he can shot for far than close to the net i think.

He did, Damphousse suggested PAP on the 2nd wave and then Gaston said you're looking for a playmaker in that role so dd would be the best fit.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Idiots attract idiots.

Unfortunately, most of Gaston's fans are people attracted to his agenda. If it was up to him or his fans, you'd have a 90% french team, coach, management etc to represent Quebec. Winning, cups etc comes secondary to being able to interview all the players in French.

I know a few people who are biased, and are honest about their bias, towards Québécois players. They remain fairly knowledgeable hockey fans.

Each and every one of them despise the hell outta Gaston Therrien.

I'm pretty sure he has no, or very few, fans.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd say youre basing your views on your hate for Therrien. Hey, I dislike Therrien just as much as you do....well...maybe not but at least I can give real perspective as oppose to the let's hang and burn Therrien POV. Your opinions are based on hate, not on perspective.
Or maybe I dislike him because he's a bad coach? Sounds like an interesting debate for the Therrien thread...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
82% rating for our 1st line C who has 7 LESS points than our 2nd line centre, doesn't take any defensive zone face offs, play the PK or play in any other defensive capacity and is constantly out muscled or falls can't possibly be considered ridiculous.

You must be biased. :sarcasm::cry:
Observant is the word you're trying to find. I'm thinking you understood laughable as a joke, as in totally overated, according to Gaston "La Gaffe" Therrien.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gaston Therrien is simply the worst analysts out there....English, French and probably even Mexicans included. Even The Don is looking like Einstein compare to Therrien.

He's totally bias to anything having a french name (Parenteau having a higher note than Eller = LOL). His hockey knowledge is outdated and his analysis is putrid at best.

But what can we do, Sports medias are runs by Dinosaurs who are past their expiry date....don't talk to them about corsi or scoring chances, they simply don't know anything about it...they are still trying to understands +/-....
Gaston isnt' any different than some of the other anaysts out there apart from the accusation of bias (which I'm not going to talk about here.) Tons of analysts out there offer a very shallow perspective on what's really happening within an NHL team.

Part of the reason is politics, part of it is not wanting to get called out on something they've been wrong about down the road, and part of it may be personal relationships or whatever... It's a lot easier to sit and criticize anonymously on a message board. There's no real consequence for us so much of it is unfiltered. But to go out and rip a guy publicly is a whole different ballgame. Some guys are willing to do it but others... not so much. And I can understand why.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know a few people who are biased, and are honest about their bias, towards Québécois players. They remain fairly knowledgeable hockey fans.

Each and every one of them despise the hell outta Gaston Therrien.

I'm pretty sure he has no, or very few, fans.

I'm not painting the entire population with that brush, just the ones who follow Gaston as they're obviously NOT knowledgeable and have more of a franco bias.

In fact, you're reinforcing my point here. Most "knowledgeable" fans, biased or not can all come together in the fact he's a buffoon and shouldn't be given a soap box to have his voice heard.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
As a 1st center of a team that has a 35g scorer winger, I expect nothing less than 60 pts for the center. DD is on pace for 45-46 pts.. So he's 15 pts short of what's acceptable/expected.

As a 3rd center of any team, a 30 pts production is expected. Considering that our bottom 6 except Weise has been very weak this season even 25 pts could be acceptable.

Eller is on pace for 23-24 pts so he's not that far off the production of a normal 3rd center.

Now how in the hell does our first center who is on pace for under 50 pts is getting 82% while playing the majority of the season with Pacioretty and on every PP and our 3rd center, who has a defensive role that he does relatively well and that plays with players like Prust, Sekac, Bourque, DSP, DLR who all have 7 goals and under this season, only get 60%.

Something isn't right mon Gaston.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Idiots attract idiots.

Sounds more like he should be keader of the Bloc?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not painting the entire population with that brush, just the ones who follow Gaston as they're obviously NOT knowledgeable and have more of a franco bias.

In fact, you're reinforcing my point here. Most "knowledgeable" fans, biased or not can all come together in the fact he's a buffoon and shouldn't be given a soap box to have his voice heard.
Well the Montreal Canadiens are a unique situation. There IS the whole french language thing to consider. This creates a real problem because language debates get mixed in with hockey moves and it takes on a whole different dimension.

Look at the Leafs, they've had a debate for the past two years on their first line center too. Tyler Bozak has no business being there but that's where he's been under Carlyle. They have the same debates over on those boards too with some people arguing that Bozak is "producing" while others say its only due to Kessel... very similar to what's going on here.

The difference is that there's no French angle to anything there. Carlyle has the benefit of nobody calling him out for being pro-english or french... it's just a hockey move. That's all that gets debated - is it a good or bad move?

Here, playing DD takes on a whole different debate in some cases. Therrien gets criticized for being pro french. DD gets more points than a 3rd line center so some feel he should be there... others say its due to circumstances and in the background there's suspicions of bias against a certain language. Maybe Therrien just believes this guy is the best for the job. That could very well be the case and its why I don't go after him on language... 'cause I don't know. But many people (rightly or wrongly) assume it's because of language. And many people think those who criticize Therrien are only doing it because of language. Its unfortunate but that's how it is... Personally I'd prefer to just keep the whole language thing out of it and just talk about it from a hockey perspective.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Might as well put my ratings (in terms of expectations):
Price: 95%
Subban: 85%
Pacioretty: 85%
Markov: 82.5%
Plekanec: 75%
Petry: 75%
Beaulieu: 72.5%
Gallagher: 72.5%
Galchenyuk: 72.5%
Weise: 70%
DLR: 70%
Gonchar: 70%
Gilbert: 70%
Prust: 67.5%
Eller: 65%
Emelin: 65%
Desharnais: 65%
Smith-Pelly: 65%
Tokarski: 65%
Mitchell: 65%
Flynn: 65%
DSP: 65%
Parenteau: 60%
Malhotra: 60%

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
BTW, if anyone deserves 100% its Price. I think he's actually earned that rating this year.

Gave him 99 on account of him not being perfect but won't argue with 100 either. If only he could take over the shutout lead he'd be a quadruple crown leader
Leader in GAA-Wins-Save%-SO
Wonder if that's ever been done?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad